X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and at the end it's never finished.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Stage two yesterday with the pond cleaning but then it turned too cold for any more gardening. Too cold today, as well. BAH! No sign of a grateful frog.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

your prince disguised as a frog diddn't show up ,past week?
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Ah, but the day after I wrote #467 I discovered that my prince was actually a princess. A very large clump of frogspawn had appeared in the corner of the pond, clinging to the only bit of vegetation that I had left - the roots of the creamy white pond marigold. I only hope some of the tadpoles survive when they hatch as two backswimmers have already been active in the water. They are fearsome creatures, fighting each other without any provocation and will probably consume most of the tadpoles, but hopefully some will survive. I have an old kitchen strainer which I have used to try and catch the backswimmers, but they move like a flash of lightening and disappear into the pond silt.
          Ivy

Comment

Nice, clear photos as always, Ivy. I find it hard to differentiate between frogs and toads. We get the odd one in cooler, darker spots in the garden without a pond, so assume they are toads.

Comment

And the moss! All the front garden paving is carpeted with it and there is more out the back. I do love its cushiony emerald softness, but at the same time I must get rid of it because it makes too good a place for weeds to become established.
              So - before it disappears:'

Also, extremely treacherous to step on when wet, Ivy. You need to get rid on paths. A few years back I was organising a treasure hunt for my son's school pta. Looking around an old churchyard, I slipped on moss, did the splits and cracked my knee.

Comment

Back to hedgehogs:

And I learnt to my surprise that the probable main cause is that they are hunted by badgers for food. That I never knew. The result is that Dutch hedgehogs are nowadays found mainly near urban ares, whereas those are places that badgers obviously avoid.'

Ivy, I heard that one of the reasons for the decline in hedgehogs is down to the increased use of blue slug pellets. Slugs/snails ingest them then hedgehogs poison themselves by eating the slugs.

Comment

I find it hard to differentiate between frogs and toads.
                  Now really Paul!
                  frogs: slim, colours vary - green, brown, yellowish green, smooth skin. Can leap a long way.
                  toads, fat and floppy, mud-coloured with warty-looking skin. Can't jump very far, usually waddle.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you about moss. It is really very beautiful, as you say, but I also agree that it provides an ideal place for weed seeds to anchor and flourish. I spend a lot of time yanking it out from the crevices between the small pavoirs. But I posted a photo somewhere on CVF ages ago of the moss on my low front garden wall, the evening sun was just catching it perfectly and against the terracotta wall coping it was stunning. But yes, it can be very treacherous underfoot. You had a most unfortunate accident with your knee, that must have taken quite a long while healing.
                  You asked about the flowers on the birthday card I posted, were they violas or pansies. Well, they were little violas and they first appeared here.
                  Ivy

Comment

14 July 2015 A refresher!

P1190788
                    by Ivy, on Flickr
                    Ivy

Comment

• janihudi
                      janihudi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      a nice bright garden

21 July 2015

My gorgeous day-lily.
                    It has excelled itself this year, I have never known the colour so rich. There is another one in a pot which is of a soft pinky-apricot colour and which I was given a few years ago. It flowered for the first time last year and was delightful, but so far this summer it has not produced a single bloom.

P1190813
                    by Ivy, on Flickr

Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
                      PoloUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks wonderful. Ours flowered briefly then the dreaded lily-bugs appeared. They are no more - flowers or bugs.

• wherrygirl
                      wherrygirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ah, these are not real lilies, Mark, although they are related, I think. Their name is a mis-leader and should properly be Hemerocallis, so they escaped the dreaded predator.

a nice and full of color plant,but for some reason there was never one in my garden,and probably that will stay so
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

And why is that, Thijs?
                      Ivy

Comment

• wherrygirl
                        wherrygirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Kindly do not delete your posts without my express permission in future. .
                        But, despite their name, these are not lilies, and although I have plenty of snails there are never any near the hemerocallis.

• janihudi
                        janihudi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        i hadn't removed the post

• wherrygirl
                        wherrygirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's weird. I assumed you had. I answered your post about it, saying much as I have repeated below. How could both posts have disappeared just like that? There was another odd hiccup that I mentioned on the What Place Is This thread.
                        Gremlins are about.

This is very strange. I know that Thijs answered my question in the previous post. But it has gone.

7 August 2015

I know that I have often photographed the evening primrose but I can't resist it!

P1190817
                      by Ivy, on Flickr

It is a very untidy plant, becoming tall and spindly as the season goes on. The stems are weak so they bend and twist and look such a mess. In addition the spent blossoms (they only last one day) turn a pale salmon pink, shrivel up and wither, though remaining on the stem. I see them like this and tell myself to pull up the miserable wretches, but then I wander out in the late evening and see them glowing softly in the dimming light and sniff their perfume - and they are redeemed once more.
                      This photo was taken about 9.30 in the morning, before it started to fade, reinforcing my decision to let it live.
                      Ivy

Comment

I see from the overview of your garden that you use a lot of pots and tubs. We do similar in my father-in-laws garden. I have several acres. Recently topped them up with compost and noticed soil scattered everywhere. Easy to blame mangy cats for the damage, but last year after doing just that, found the culprit to be a fat, brooding toad who had burrowed into one of the pots. I have two lavateria in pots and they are in full bloom at present. (Btw, predictive text just recorded that I had grown two lavatories in pots!) Also, just noticed predictive text boasted 'I have several acres'! I wish! That should read 'I have several acers!'
                        Last edited by Paul Cobb; August 30th, 2015, 13:28.

Comment

We have a tree at bottom of garden which I think is a Rhus. It is loaded with red berries at present which the blackbirds love. I had thought to myself last week that they weren't showing any interest in it this year - until yesterday. About six blackbirds were going crazy with it any it was a delight to watch. One bird perched on the fence under the tree and continually bounced like a Jack-in-the-box to grab a berry, eat it then bounced again. Another tried to hover like a hummingbird to grab a berry, yet another perched on the flimsy branches and pecked away at a bunch, while others tried smash and grab tactics by zooming in from a nearby tree to grab a berry and fly away again. They spent ages doing this. Can see they are back in the tree eating their fill once again.

Comment

Working...
                          X