Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
    Slugs galore in our patch, Ivy. I never cease to wonder why we don't have more hodgehegs, they'd be really plump!

I have had this up in my window for several weeks, it warns about the decrease in the number of hedgehogs in Suffolk and asks for any sightings to be logged on their site. All the years I have lived here I have never seen a hedgehog in the Patch. Moles yes, hedgehogs no. Then three days ago I went out to the car, started to get in and couldn't believe my eyes - there was one crossing the road ahead. It is rather wide there because it is two narrow roads coming together at the point of the grassy triangle. Knowing how cars just sweep down there I got out, walked slowly up to the hedgehog and shepherded it across - it was heading for a car parked outside a house. Seeing me it put on speed, and as I looked round the other side of the car it emerged and made a bee-line for the heaps of dead leaves along the front of the building. Not the best place for a winter hibernation as the leaves will soon blow away, and with the traffic I fear that it will be another road casualty. But so far, there is no sign of a corpse!
    Meanwhile I can log my find.
    Please keep your thread alive. Any more autumnal critters about?
    Yep, I'll try, though you're the only one who is really interested!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      How may you tell that Ivy?Even thougt I don't often comment I' m one of your fans. And as Paul I'm waiting for your automn feelings.

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      I also don't often comment, but I do see and read every post on this thread.

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, sounds like I might as well carry on, then . Thanks folks. And by the way, I didn't mention Thijs, who throughout has always had a look in with a comment or two - and not just when hedgehogs appear.

we have them sometimes on the yard here,but the most hedgehogs i see are sadly dead,road kill.
    hav;t seen your wet web,a great image like this,if i see them and have the camera with me,i try it sometimes too.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

I was going off to a recording session for the Talking Newspaper, so didn't have the camera with me.
      Thijs, here's the Suffolk Trust's site http://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org/ I joined in 1966, soon after I came to East Anglia, and am one of the very early members, number 1705.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; November 5th, 2014, 00:25.
      Ivy

Comment

Yves, thank you. That was very heartening to know. But I can only repeat my thoughts from another thread a few weeks ago. At the beginning the Patch was really fun. But now I post mainly in a vacuum. Maybe members assume from the title that it's a gardening feature with advice on when to start planting the runner beans or prune the apple tree? Some time ago I asked a member to look at something in another thread of mine - I forget my reason, and afterwards he admitted that he hadn't even ever looked at that thread when it first appeared because he had assumed it was about something else. So I changed the title a little.
        I have nearly always commented on other people's threads that, being very interested, I follow. Yes, I get very behind, and then feel guilty because it is time consuming posting photos on the forum and I like people to know that it has not been ignored. Comments well up in me because of appreciation of what they have shown us, delight in seeing something new to me, or maybe I have have a query about a place or object. Through looking at what others show I have learnt all kinds of things about matters of which I previously had little knowledge, my horizons have stretched even wider.
        But it must be a two-way thing, mustn't it? One-way starts to wane after a while.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; November 5th, 2014, 00:27.
        Ivy

Comment

Thijs, I was wondering last night what the position of hedgehogs was in the Netherlands, whether they were declining there as they are in England. I found this site http://www.wildlifebiology.org/accep...areas-possibly It seems that they are, also throughout Europe. And I learnt to my surprise that the probable main cause is that they are hunted by badgers for food. That I never knew. The result is that Dutch hedgehogs are nowadays found mainly near urban ares, whereas those are places that badgers obviously avoid.
          It would be great if you could manage to get any photos of them, though you'll have a job.
          I'm OT, as the hedgehog I saw was not in the Patch but out in the road, crossing over from my neighbour's side to where you used to park the car, actually. But as it's my thread, I'll forgive myself.
          Ivy

Comment

It's been a while since I noticed hedgehogs in our garden, but we do get them. Best moment was many years ago now while I was still tidying up a day's toil in the rear garden and it had turned past twilight. Suddenly heard a rustling on far side of lawn and a hedgehog and her hoglets were scurrying along, oblivious to me, but nice to witness. It's been a while since I have seen one emerge from our neighbour's overgrown shrubs, but I guess the number of foxes doesn't help.

Comment

Waiting for a suitably festive post and photo, Ivy! Holly with berries or mistletoe, perhaps? Does Mr Blackbird or offspring still call for their raisins?

Comment

29 December, 2014

Not in the least bit festive, not Christmassy, that is. But festive in another way of defying the calender. I have been intending to take a shot of this bud for a week or two and have waited to see how far it would develop. However, today I decided that I must not wait any longer as, although we have had no snow in these parts, the freezing temperatures may damage the fragile bloom.
                So, once again, my much photographed Korrelia rose:

P1190336 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                Ivy

Comment

January, 2015

Nothing interesting.
                  Ivy

Comment

5 February 2015

The snowdrops I put on Nari's birthday card were not from my garden - mine are only now just beginning to show a little white streak between some short stems. Goodness knows what is wrong with them this year.
                    However, I found the first of the winter aconites beneath a bush, they always cheer me up with their small sunshine cups:

P1190375
                    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

And the moss! All the front garden paving is carpeted with it and there is more out the back. I do love its cushiony emerald softness, but at the same time I must get rid of it because it makes too good a place for weeds to become established.
                    So - before it disappears:

P1190379
                    by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                    Ivy

Comment

Delicate little aconite - really pretty. They really are among the first harbingers of spring aren't they. You're lucky if the snowdrops are on the way - although there are millions of them around here, they steadfastly refuse to grow in our garden. Mrs PoloUK singularly unimpressed by that! Our Hellebores are looking good though despite the frost and wind.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

26 February 2015
                        Thank you Mark. My helebore looks as if it might develop its buds if it tries hard enough!
                        But things are moving on - after the solitary aconite above, the species crocus has suddenly burst out all over the garden. They take me by surprise each year, putting forth one or two apologetic little blossoms for a few days, then you can almost hear them suddenly take a deep breath and say "Come on boys, let's go."

P1190482 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                        Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Since Françoise was recently operated for a hip we must stay in Caen,that means we can't go to Beuvron and have a look to our garden.So thank you for those nice pictures from your garden,Ivy.Hope my crocus have the same slogan than yours.

• wherrygirl
                          wherrygirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yves, I do hope your Françoise recovers quickly from her operation, and is able to feel once more what it is to be able to walk freely. It takes time, doesn't it, but there will soon be much for her to enjoy in your garden at Beuvron.

8 March 2015

I had quite a surprise this morning after putting out the bird seed for the waiting gang, all fidgeting around. As I returned to the back door there was a frog not far away, perfectly still. I hurried for the camera and - peering out of the door - found he was in exactly the same position, so still that I had plenty of time for portrait taking. At one time there were many frogs in my "pond", aka puddle, as well as quite a few newts, but suddenly three years ago they all disappeared. Each year I examined the pond but no sign of anything except the water snails and dreaded backswimmers.
                        Then last autumn there was a frog in the corner of the pond one morning. I saw it only the once, but it really made my day. So maybe this is the same one. With great jubilation I later cleaned out the old mess of waterweeds which was so tangled with blanket weed that it was no use trying to salvage any of it. While delving deep I felt something sliver quickly through my fingers, so that was either the frog or - dare I hope - a newt. I would so love to have them back.

P1190551 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; March 8th, 2015, 23:55.
                        Ivy

Comment

maybe you had cleaned your garden to good and arn't there enough hiding places for them
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Cleaned my garden!!!! Goodness, you should see it. I have only now begun to sort it out - dug my largest patch Friday and will do the rest this week... and....and...
                            Ivy

Comment

Working...
                            X