No announcement yet.

Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, I knew I'd be in the doghouse as soon as I saw that you had posted on the forum a few days ago. It's not that I've lost interest, Paul, just that so many other things have been squeezing it out. I have one or two butterflies that I'll put on, though. They appeared back in March in a sudden burst of a few days' sunshine that we had - as if summer had arrived early. And I will now try to make a daily date to wander round the estate and seek out the pics., because your encouraging grumble has spurred me on. The flower beds are somewhat untidy at the moment and badly need weeding as I''ve just returned from holiday, and while the lupins are glorious in their rosy red spikes the second little batch of peas I sowed just before I went away don't seem to have bothered to poke up and join their older siblings. I tell you, when I saw those lupins I just shouted to myself PHOTOGRAPH FOR THE PATCH. Before I went they were just small green spikes not showing any hint of colour, and now I have missed watching them grow, grow and colour up until they reach the splendour they are now showing. The hated ground elder is flowering well, too, must at least pull off the spikes before the seeds start their deadly work.... and de-head the Californian poppies and prop up the evening primrose and sow more peas and have another try at the runner beans, only one of which came up. (Wanna pic. of some bare patches of ground?}
    And the blue tits have flown the nest. They may have hatched before I went away, or else the male was being assiduous in feeding his mate. Probably the latter, as I didn't see both parents dashing about. But all seems quiet now, they must all have gone.
    That's the pity about going away at this May/June time - everything is starting to prepare for the summer blaze and young birds are exploring the garden learning where to find the juiciest morsels to eat - it's all go!
    I'm glad you were successful in excluding the foxes, Paul, even if the rest of the wildlife is still making itself felt. But wouldn't it be strangely empty without it.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

24 February 2014

Species crocuses and primroses make a brave promise of spring:

Ivy

Comment

24 March 2014
        This Small Tortoiseshell butterfly was a pale version of those which would come later from the spring hatching but, having probably overwintered in some cranny, was now a welcome sight.

Ivy

Comment

29 March 2014

The same can be said of this rather dusty looking peac0ck butterfly, not so smart as those which would come later, but an early promise of summer - hopefully!

Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice pictures Ivy.
            If I'd believe in reincarnation,I'd wish to be a butterfly,able to fly from flower to flower.......

• wherrygirl
            wherrygirl commented
            Editing a comment
            But you would appreciate the flower only for its life-giving nectar, not for its beauty. Much better to be Yves!

6 June 2014 Catching up with summer.

My much photographed rose Korresia

Not such a multi-petalled blossom as when photographed last year but always a delight.
          Ivy

Comment

8 June 2014

I once bought a packet of mixed colour Eschschlotzia (Californian Poppy), sowed them eagerly and was rewarded by blooms in a splendid variety of reds, oranges, yellows and cream. As so often happens with varieties bred away from their original native colour they reverted in later years to the natural orange. They seed themselves all over the place and normally I pull up the rather leggy old plants in autumn. For some reason last year I didn't do this but tried cutting some of them back more or less to ground level.
            Whether it was that or the mild winter or a combination of both goodness knows. But they are splendiferous this year, I haven't seen such large blossoms for years. There are some in another garden up the road but they are not nearly as large!

Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              This first photo is a amazing composition Ivy.
              The shades of orange given by the light.....WOW.

• Steve.B
              Steve.B commented
              Editing a comment
              That really is a lovely shade of orange, they must make quite a show. Really vibrant.

Thank you very much for your comments, Yves and Steve.
            Ivy

Comment

May as well pop this in here:

11 June 2014

Ivy

Comment

23 June 2014

I love the delicacy of these blossoms against the sky, many would pass them by and not notice.

But they would probably see this!

Ivy

Comment

you have more color in your garden than I Ivy.
                  make sure that it's weed free over 6 weeks
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

With any luck it will be weed-free, Thijs, but it will also be almost flower-free by August. That's just about the worst time of year for blooms in my garden. Sorry!
                    Ivy

Comment

23 June2014

My favourite lily - unfortunately I have forgotten its name.

Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Isn't it beautiful? Our lilies didn't survive our holiday - not sure if it was slugs or lily bugs, but the effect was the same. Yours look wonderful.

• janihudi
                        janihudi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        indeed a nice one Ivy,still nothing here about the dililas

Thank you, Mark and Thijs. Mine have done poorly this year in that there were only one or two blooms on each of two lilies, and they didn't last long. But while they were there they were stunning. I look forward each year to their all too brief spell.
                      Thijs, I don't understand why your dahlias aren't thriving, it's such a shame because, unlike my lily, they are in bloom for a long while and give such a great display. Is it that Kelly again?
                      Ivy

Comment

4 July 2014

Because I cannot resist this lily and it is all over now - so brief was its appearance this year:

Ivy

Comment

not as much of Kelly,but more my lack of fertilize.
                          there are 2 in bloom now,a red/white and a yellow/red,and the pink one that i bought some weeks ago
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                          X