No announcement yet.

Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nursery - no way! Everything born in the Patch has to fend for itself. I tell them that life is hard and the sooner they become independent the better.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      I tell them that life is hard and the sooner they become independent the better.
      Could you tell that to my mother-in-law?!...

Comment

Does Mrs.Yves ever look over your shoulder when you are posting???
        Ivy

Comment

22 September 2013

A beautiful bright sunny day and the camera was put to use in the Patch.
          Firstly - everybody's favourite, the crane fly.

These colchicums are so exceptionally attractive, maybe because they appear in all their splendour at just that time of year when all else is fading, shrivelling and generally shutting down for the winter. They last for only a short time and this year I managed to insert the little supports early in their growth, thinking that when the wind was doing its worst to batter everything down they would remain proudly upstanding. As it happens, the weather has been just like Septembers used to be, sunny (mostly), warm (mostly) and calm.

And finally, another little shield bug. They seem to be doing well this year, I have seen quite a few.

Ivy

Comment

Beautiful autumn photos Ivy. The Crane Flies / Leatherjackets / Daddy Long Legs are weird things aren't they - that one hasn't even got his legs distributed evenly around him! The colchicum is stunning, and I love the way that the shield bug and the paving blocks all have similar texture. Lovely.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Glad to see you are still churning out delightful photos, Ivy. Keep up the good work. Going back to our posts on magpies, the house 2 down from us has a trampoline in its garden with a safety net attached around it on posts. A few weeks ago I heard a ruccus and looked out to see about 12 magpies all perched around this net framework squawking at each other. It was as if they were arguing over who was going to have first bounce!

Comment

that shield bug Ivy,is that the same kind as the green one,but now authum is on it's way,they get authum collors too?
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Forgot to say, a few weeks ago, I bought some small shrubs and planted them out in a cloverleaf-style planter. Then I discovered the soil in one had been scraped at, knackering the plant. I blamed it on perishing cats, being grateful for some nice soft earth to poop in. Then a couple of weeks later, found the same again, only the plant had been pulled out of the soil. Feeling like strangling the local moggies, I lifted the planter onto my BBQ to work on it better. Poking the soil about to replant the shrub, suddenly an ugly and unhappy face poked out of the soil where it had made a nest. Trying to uncover what it was, I discovered a huge and fat toad that had been the culprit in deciding that the moist, soft compost made an ideal home! Sorry, moggies...

Comment

Thank you, Mark. They're not paving blocks actually, but the mosaic top of a tiny table that lives in the garden, so the little bug is really quite little!

Thijs! Yes, of course, it is all part of nature's grand scheme for camouflaging tiny creatures......

Paul, I had to laugh at the magpie story. I wonder what would happen if several of them suddenly flew down on to the trampline and found themselves bouncing up again? But then I suppose it would be no different to landing on a twig.
                    I am jealous about the toad. When I first came here in 1966 there were many toads in my small garden. If I went out there in the twilight I had to be careful that I did not step on one and I would hear the flop - smack of their fat bodies on the path. Once I found the tiniest young one by the shed door, it was only about an inch long and what was remarkable was the colour - a rich tawny shade like the autumn colour of a beech leaf, in contrast to the dull mud of the adult.
                    But for ages now there have been no toads at all. I found the shrivelled body of one under a flowerpot many years ago, put it aside in the open air, and when only the skeleton was left I didn't need to bleach it - it was so clean and white. I carefully gathered up the bones, arranged them in a small box and kept them for quite a few years. They were so fragile, especially the vertabrae of the spine, as you can imagine.
                    If only they would reappear.
                    My pond had only one very sickly looking newt last spring, but it disappeared. I've had newts in my pond since the late '60's, similarly masses of frogs all over the place, but none this year. Last winter must have done for many of the amphibians, I'm afraid.
                    Ivy

Comment

A lurking toad doesn't half make you jump, though, when they decide to jump as you step near them unawares. A good few years ago we had one as a visitor to our front garden for a few days that had no desire to hide itself. A local cat spotted it and the stand off was strange as the toad had no desire to move, but the moggie just lay there watching it, unsure of what it would do. Guess the cat won, though, as the toad wasn't around the next day. There are quite a few prowling foxes on the estate, now. I imagine the cubs from last year have grown up.

Comment

Shame about the toad, although maybe it had decided to seek pastures new. Are there any cubs this year, Paul? Do you know, I've only ever seen a wild fox once and that was many, many years ago - I think it was somewhere on top of one of the Seven Sisters, in Susse.x, in the late evening. Wonderful moment as it passed by the bench on which we were sitting.
                        Ivy

Comment

Also on 22 September 2013

I could not seem to get a decent photo of a spiderweb this year. But I must have a record:

Ivy

Comment

That's beautiful Ivy. Your spider produced a lovely, regular web in just the right place!
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

that is a very nice shot of the web ,and on a beatiful place
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

The owner of that web is keeping well hidden, Ivy. Re the foxes, I discovered two areas where they had burrowed under the neighbour's rear fence, which is where they had been gaining access to our gardens. A couple of strategically placed boulders seems to have kept them out until they re-burrow. A few days ago, I parked outside our house around 11am and a brazen fox just walked across the road behind the car, so their activity isn't only just by night. Some scavenging magpies rapidly took to the house roofs when they knew it was around. We do have a couple of bold squirrels, though, and the blackbirds seem to feel they are rivals for any food I put out. Something large was messing about with our mop bucket right outside the back door today, but I couldn't be bothered to investigate!

Comment

• wherrygirl
                                  wherrygirl commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  How's the mop bucket, Paul?
                              Working...
                              X