Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

and again ,you done it again.bugs after bugs you get,while i never come get close to them.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

• Steve.B
      Steve.B commented
      Editing a comment
      Just check the front of your truck after a motorway drive, you will find some!

25 August 2013

Not so rare, this one! It is the final nymphal stage of the Common Green Shield bug. I saw it - or a sibling - yesterday, sitting on the little green mosaic table in the garden, but it so nearly matched the background that I decided not to photograph it but hoped we would meet another day.
    Obligingly, today it was sunbathing on my primrose coloured sheet when I went to get the washing in - a most fetching background! I tried a few shots but despite holding on to the sheet with one hand (strong wind) I was not satisfied. So I persuaded the little creature on to my hand - whereupon it decided to go walkabout. Finally it stopped to have a think, and I managed a portrait.

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Steve.B
      Steve.B commented
      Editing a comment
      These little chaps always seem to be friendly, i seem to remember i had a pet one living in my living room many years ago. I think it liked living on the yucca we had in a big pot.

So do we think that your moth is on holiday, or that he's moved south permanently?
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

you got green fingers Ivy,real green fingers
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
        and again ,you done it again.bugs after bugs you get,while i never come get close to them.
        Well, I can never get a bird to stand still for me, or fly close to me so that I can take its portrait mid-air. Mind you, even if one did fly over my head I wouldn't know how to get a clear photo as in your splendid seagull images. They are the best I've ever seen, Thijs. I'll have to study my camera instructions and organise a collared dove flypast so that I can practise, for the Seething Air Show is coming up in a couple of weeks and I want to take some shots. Last year I did manage one of the German plane that I was pleased with, but that was by panning. Got to do better!
        I find that dragonflies are not too bad if they are settled and you move up to them very slowly, but butterflies are tricky unless you find one resting, move slowly and don't let your shadow fall on them. If they are feeding and fluttering about, I find that having once startled them so that they fly away, if I stay still in a good position they often return and seem to accept you as part of the scenery.
        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          So do we think that your moth is on holiday, or that he's moved south permanently?
          Actually, I've relinquished the idea of becoming a moth expert when I grow up. I sent photos to the Suffolk Moth Group and it was identified as a common migrant - the Silver Y.
          Heigh-ho.......
          But the masses of moth pics. that I trawled through in my search showed many, many beautiful specimens, though their colours are muted compared to butterflies, blending softly from one to the other, probably because of the fine hairs.
          Ivy

Comment

26 August 2013

Ugh! speck of dirt on my shoulder

Ivy

Comment

If I may say so, that was a fitting remark! hehehe
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

2 September 2013

These two have suddenly taken to sitting on the trellis instead of up on the pergola and it can't be that comfortable because the wooden slats are not so wide as the pergola beams. But I have never seen them perched anywhere face to face like this.

Hey, wake up, she's taking our photo

Two days ago I saw something else for the first time, and this was really good. I know that pigeons and doves secret a liquid in their crop, commonly called pigeon's milk, with which to feed their young, and there was one of the collared doves on the pergola with its beak thrust down the baby's throat, feeding it. Later, as the young one grows, it is weaned by the parent, who regurgitates the "milk" together with seeds and other normal food.
                Unfortunately, although I grabbed the camera, the noise of the opening back door sent them flying swiftly away.
                Ivy

Comment

Beautiful photos! They do seem to be creatures of habit don't they.

As I type this, MG, (you'll remember Misery Guts, our Wood Pigeon) has returned from his brief trip to the fields during the summer. He's now sitting on a rickety bit of next door's fence, hanging on for dear life in the wind and rain. I should invite him in to see his distant cousins on the screen, ....., but no. My charity was extended enough during the summer when he did occasionally visit, just to spend 20 minutes padding through my poor vegetables. Now I've got to put up with 6 months of him sitting there - looking at me - willing me to feed him and his feathery friends.

(20 per minutes per pound plus 20 minutes?).
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                    Now I've got to put up with 6 months of him sitting there - looking at me - willing me to feed him and his feathery friends.

(20 per minutes per pound plus 20 minutes?).
                    Mark, what is all this about 20 mins per pound, plus 20 mins? Surely not what i think it means?? Or is it just me thinking of my stomach too much?

P.S: What gas mark would you recommend? - will 7 do?
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      If I may say so, that was a fitting remark! hehehe
                      The poses of these doves up on the wire sometimes have me in fits of laughter, J.O. Trouble is, I can't live forever with my camera slung round my neck!
                      Ivy

Comment

As to those other chaps' remarks - oh you couldn't, could you?????? I'd better warn MG's cousin up here that it's not Westward Ho! for him, I'm afraid.
                        Mind you, perhaps I might hold it over him as a threat if he comes it too much in my garden.
                        Ivy

Comment

3 September 2013

I saw this little creature flitting about near the pond and, so small, delicate and almost colourless was it that not until it landed on the reed did I see what it was.
                          Unidentified female damselfly, about 4cm. long

Then, to my delight, the damselfly took off and landed on the tip of some water weed and began depositing its eggs.

Not a good image as the sun was brilliant and bouncing back off the water.
                          Ivy

Comment

Ivy,do you manage a nursery?

Comment

Working...
                            X