X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

20 July 2013

If I were about to do a collage, it would be this:

And this is one of the first of the day-lilies (hemerocallis) this season. I find their dusky burnt-orange vibrancy a draw each time I go into the garden. Two or three years ago someone gave me an offshoot of their plant, saying they thought it was red. This year, for the first time, it has produced a flower stem with three buds on it. Peering hard, as yet I have no clue as to its colour, the outside of the petals looks quite creamy, in fact.
    We shall see.

Last edited by wherrygirl; August 7th, 2013, 20:19.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

je had your butterfly,even without the butterfly bush,not much of them here at this moment.
      great lilies Ivy,i never head them
      best regards Thijs

Comment

26 July 2013

Thank you, Thijs. What about this one, then?

At one time I had several of these enchanting lilies, I think I bought the bulbs long before the brilliant red one I showed recently. For some reason I lost several, but managed to salvage three very small offshoots which I planted in a sheltered corner. The sheltered corner became somewhat over run by the dreaded ground elder and although the offshoots bravely put up a spike each year that was the most they achieved.
        But this year one went further and produced that long, slender bud which I find so enticing as I wait for it to develop. The result is below. I'm delighted and, filled with remorse at my neglect, will carefully move it and its companions to a better spot.

Lilium regale

Note: this is a separate photo from the preceding one, not just a cropped version.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; August 4th, 2013, 11:39.
        Ivy

Comment

26 July 2013

This was taken on the same day as the two lily photos above. It's the same rose Korresia again, but it is so lovely.

Last edited by wherrygirl; August 9th, 2013, 18:02. Reason: typo
          Ivy

Comment

Just wondered if you'd like some Cabbage White Butterflies Ivy? The blinking things won't leave my cabbages and lettuces alone, so I was proposing to send them on an East Anglian holiday.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think they've already arrived!
              Ivy

Comment

6 August 2013
                I was sitting on the little bench outside the back door just before getting lunch today when I noticed what I at first thought was a thin twig on the small mosaic table down the garden. Yet somehow a sixth sense told me that it was no twig. Getting up I moved slowly nearer - it was a small dragonfly, one that I had not seen before. Dashing indoors for the camera ever-present on the kitchen worktop I emerged and approached my new find.

Male Common Darter dragonfly (Sympetrum striolatum)

It seemed quite happy on the table, and even when I put my camera within 5 cm. of its head and took several shots it did not seem unduly disturbed, although I noticed its eyes swivelling up to inspect this strange object looming over it.

Last edited by wherrygirl; August 9th, 2013, 18:07. Reason: Added Latin name
                Ivy

Comment

wow ,you got one,i try it to but never had the luck.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

I don't see why you shouldn't have better luck. It's not the first time I've photographed dragonflies. Provided they are already stationary and you creep up on them they don't seem to worry. In fact that one I took a while ago didn't even seem to mind when I slowly moved a piece of fern out of the way.
                    What do you think of the Lilium Regale? I'm going to take more care of it now!
                    Ivy

Comment

didn't have them eather,the only lillies here are those in a vase
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

I didn't ask whether you had any, just what you think of the lily itself. It is very beautiful to me.
                        Ivy

Comment

ooohhhh that,the lili is beautiful ,like most of them also the color wits and yellow are a nice coupple and mixing good to each other.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

5 August 2013
                            One day out of order. At first I wasn't going to post this one, but have now relented. It is the Hemerocallis (Day Lily) that I mentioned earlier and as the giver thought it was red I was curious to see how it turned out, especially as the long bud slowly developed showing a distinctly creamy exterior. The lovely flame colour is unusual in its variegation, but I'm not sure about the semi-double effect of the small inner petals. I prefer the single trumpet shape as in the deep rusty one - the second picture at this post further back.
                            However, here it is:

It has produced three blossoms on the one stem. Maybe the shape will improve next year and not look quite so "undecided"!
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; August 7th, 2013, 20:17.
                            Ivy

Comment

9 August 2013

There are masses of hoverflies around now. This one was on a floret of the agapanthus, the heads of which are now opening:

Ivy

Comment

23 August 2013

Now this I am very excited about, for it is a moth that according to my research is normally found only in the Scottish moorlands. The Norfolk moth site has no records for it and the Suffolk species list has a related moth but not this one. I have looked at many websites and am 99% sure that I have correctly identified it. The sickle-shaped cream mark on the forewings is the immediate pointer.

The Small Dark Yellow Underwing moth

There were two individuals, both very busy sucking nectar on the Agapanthus florets.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; August 25th, 2013, 19:54.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X