Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

13 May 2014

Beautiful Camellia Macropetala. Although still quite a small plant it has done well this year. But the strong winds and rain have not helped it.

It has been very difficult to photograph for it needed sun to give the petals translucency, but when the sun began to come round to it in the afternoon the clouds would also draw over. As the days have gone by so the delicate flowers have lost their freshness.
    Maybe next year better!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

a great flower that camelia,a relative of the clematis?

now we have finaly getiing some sun,nature explodes in al its color beauty
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Stupid of me. I said camellia when it should have been clematis. It's an early one and very welcome.
        Ivy

Comment

3 June 2013

Yes, I know the roots are in my neighbour's garden, but it overhangs my side patch beautifully.

A wonderful sight each year.
          Ivy

Comment

3 June 2013

I have never planted acquilegias in the garden, yet have always had them. Birds expelling seeds, I wonder? Years ago they were all what we call Granny's Bonnets, small, tightly petalled blossoms with the petals turned back at the tips so that together they formed a little frill such as "Granny" may have had on her bonnet. I can't say I remember my grandmother wearing a bonnet (no, contrary to what some of you may think I don't go back that far ), but these flowers are very pretty. Over the years they have somehow hybridised with the more modern acquilegias having an open-petalled form, how I don't know because I've not seen any in other local gardens, so I now get all sorts coming up all over the garden, tangling with the mint in the herb patch, struggling against the huge rhubarb leaves, tucked into crevices anywhere.
            This particular plant is gorgeous, and guess where that is - between my two small compost bins, fighting for root space with the snowdrops that also arrived there some years ago. Snowdrops I have certainly planted, but never there, of all places. Apart from the incongruity it is the worst possible site for a flower of cool semi-shady woodland areas, for it gets the sun all day, is dry and neglected. The snowdrops thrive!
            But here is the acquilegia:

A strange crinkly inside to the petals, isn't it?
            Last edited by wherrygirl; June 4th, 2013, 11:01.
            Ivy

Comment

5 June 2013

I went into the kitchen and as I approached the window I saw something dart very swiftly on to the fern down at the end of the garden. It was not a bird so I went outside, walked slowly down and there was this beautiful creature.

Female Common Hawker dragonfly (Aeshna Juncea):

Last edited by wherrygirl; August 9th, 2013, 18:09. Reason: Added common name
              Ivy

Comment

wow great images Ivy,you don't even need to buy a camera with a macro lens.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Yes, absolutely - those are fantastic images! Wonder who's watching who.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    5 June 2013

I went into the kitchen and as I approached the window I saw something dart very swiftly on to the fern down at the end of the garden. It was not a bird so I went outside, walked slowly down and there was this beautiful creature.

Female Aeshna Juncea dragonfly:

Reminds me so much of humans earliest attempts at flying.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you very much indeed for your comments, Thijs and Mark. I was pleased they came out clearly for it was a beautiful creature.
                      There is a new blog set up in Bunga.y to record flora and fauna seen in and around the town. It was the idea of a local woman who was a stalwart of the Suffolk Wildlife Trust and reinstated the local branch after it had suffered a lapse of several years. It was her dream to publish a book recording Bunga.y's wildlife, but she died from cancer before it could be realised.
                      Her brothers wanted to fulfil Jasmine's dream, so the blog is now up and running and has been well received. I submitted the dragonfly photos above and also the one of the Comma butterfly further back in April, they were accepted, have been posted and will apparently be included in the book. It is a lovely idea and I hope many people will contribute, for it will be an interesting record.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; August 9th, 2013, 17:52. Reason: evaded censor
                      Ivy

Comment

Wonderful close-ups, Ivy, and fine contribution to a such a worthwhile and meaningful local project.

Comment

Many thanks, Cecilia. Two incentives now to keep a close lookout in the garden. If passers-by see me on my knees turning over stones to see what's underneath - camera at the ready - they'll just say "Oh, it's the mad woman at no. xx again!" Also, I'll be back to carrying the camera up the town when shopping, back to the time of the 366 days...... Oh, crumbs!
                          Ivy

Comment

11 June 2013

I just couldn't resist snapping this. Taken against a really dismal sky at just after 6.30 p.m. it yet made an amusing silhouette. By the way, that post really does lean - the weight of the birds, evidently!
                            The Bunga.y starling gang:

King of the Castle

It amused you too, on Flickr, didn't it Gaelsail?
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                              11 June 2013

I just couldn't resist snapping this. Taken against a really dismal sky at just after 6.30 p.m. it yet made an amusing silhouette. By the way, that post really does lean - the weight of the birds, evidently!
                              The Bunga.y starling gang:

King of the Castle

It amused you too, on Flickr, didn't it Gaelsail?
                              A shot of Hitch****'s The Birds ?
                              Last edited by yvneac; June 13th, 2013, 17:25.

Comment

A shot of Hitch****'s The Birds ?
                                I told them what a beautiful city Caen is - they're on their way.
                                I'll just stick to dragonflies now.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X