Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Many thanks, Cornel, glad you like them. But if you saw the garden right now you'd say "What a mess!"
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

15 March 2013

I had the surprise of my life when, looking out of the kitchen window, I saw this. The garden is very small and with high fences, neighbours' sheds, etc. so goodness knows what made the pheasant land in that cramped space. With snow still lying in places it was probably desperately searching for food, but it is unlikely to have found anything here.
      It looked quite bewildered.

How did I get here?
      Ivy

Comment

16 April, 2013

What a difference compared to the last post. A beautiful comma butterfly. It is not the first time this year that one has appeared, but considering the weather it is surprising to see it for it is obviously one that has overwintered somehow in some cranny, despite the bitter cold.

Ivy

Comment

never seen that one here,but mayby i didn't look for it.i see moistly the tortoiseshell butterfly.
          very colorfull with the bleu and green of the Muscari botryoides??????? .(little bleu grapes)
          goosebumps i also get for a nice song,so also not fear for me alone.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Yes Thijs, we call the flowers grape hyacinth.

17 April 2017

These have done so well this spring. Most years I have a few out in November, then they gradually increase from about February, but this year there was very little to see until about February and now, wow! they have exploded into blossom. They seed themselves so easily and are all over the place.

Another Wherrygirl Wallpaper

Last edited by wherrygirl; April 22nd, 2013, 12:54.
            Ivy

Comment

So glad to see you are keeping this thread alive, Ivy.

Love the startled pheasant - never had one in our garden! And never seen a butterfly like that before. Most unusual bird in our garden last year was a sparrowhawk, snatching a sparrow out of a bush near our back door.

Keep up the good work.

Paul.

Comment

Paul, so good to see you again. Quite like old times. Last year was a dismal one in the garden - in reality and on this thread. But I need to replenish the bare patches, of which there are many, so hopefully that will provide me with more opportunities. The comma butterfly is a regular visitor these last 3 or 4 years (only a few times each year) yet before that I never saw one. This one must have overwintered somehow.
                A sparrowhawk! I saw one just once in my garden some years ago, but fortunately did not see it catch anything.
                Hope to see your name appearing on the forum now and again, Paul.
                Ivy

Comment

Hope so, too, Ivy.

The cold has retarded so much in our garden. Was repairing the back fence last weekend, so sharing the area with the local fauna. Grey squirrel on fence shinnied up a Lleylandii when it saw me,A cheeky robin was having a chat with me, startled blackbirds issued warnings to all and sundry, and a large, but dozy bumblebee made an appearance but seemed a bit lost. The warmth did bring out a host of gnats late on, and I just wished a dragonfly would turn up a-hunting. Last year the local mangy vixen gave birth to 5 cubs. Couldn't be certain, but think they set up a den under or in our shed. We were able to watch them grow for a fair while as they regularly used to sunbathe and have flea-scratching competitions on our lawn! Eventually they went their own way. Don't know if she will be back with a new brood this year.

Comment

Paul - a vixen with cubs in your garden, even if she was mangy! If she reappears do try for some photos.
                    Ivy

Comment

21 April 2013

A weed is only a flower in the wrong place, they say. Who could uproot this little wood anemone? (Until it's finished flowering. )

Ivy

Comment

23 April 2013

The daffodils were really superb this spring and surprisingly lasted quite a long time before suddenly withering. A whole 12 months now......!

Ivy

Comment

what is a;Lleylandii,Gnats and vixen?
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

A leylandii is a tree, Thijs, a tall conifer often used for hedges in the past as it is extremely quick growing. Then people realise their mistake because it gets out of control and becomes huge!
                            A gnat is like a small mosquito. Vliegje in Dutch?
                            Vixen is the female fox.
                            Ivy

Comment

ah thank you,translation did nothing with those words.
                              btw, i have my mini butterfly plant planted,lets see what it wil do,because i planted it in the truck pot.
                              i planted already some dahlia's and canna's,so maybe next year plant it on another place.
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Yes, I would like to get one of those mini butterfly plants. There is the Blue Chip one which is really small, as I said in my email earlier this year. I have yet to go to the big Notcutts garden centre in Norwich to see if they have one. It sounds good.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X