Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

3 September 2011

This is a really gorgeous plant and seems to go on blooming forever throughout summer and autumn. Luckily it is perennial.

Alstromeria

[
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

4 September 2011

Unfortunately I have lost the tag to this plant, but one day I'll do some intensive research on the Net and find its name. It is the tall, willowy flower spike of the plant which produces those beautifully cut leaves I showed on 11 June this year

Ivy

Comment

18 September 2011

And here is the same plant a week or so later, still attractive with its long pinky-brown seed heads against other spikes still in flower. Then the wind gets it, the seed heads die off and the whole thing looks a mess till I cut it down.

I should imagine that, in a large garden, a patch of these a few yards across would look really impressive. Those green leaves to the left of the photo belong to one of the spurges. Another clump elsewhere inspired the following pic.:

This spurge has attractive small yellow flowers, like most of this family, but even when they are over new stems appear with the fresh jade foliage which remains looking good right through much of the winter.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; September 24th, 2011, 18:13.
        Ivy

Comment

14 September 2011

A little out of date order, but this is what was crawling on one of my wheeliebins. I have never seen a caterpillar like this before, it was quite small, a little under 2cm., and I have identified it as the larva of a Vapourer moth. No, I've never heard of it either!
          It's OK, Thijs, it is quite hairy, so you can like it!

Ivy

Comment

although it's hairy,i only like those when they are in other peoples garden,like this one.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Great big coward!
              Ivy

Comment

I wonder if the moth is anywhere near as scary as its caterpillar?

Some nice floral photos yet again, Ivy.

Comment

Waah! Two months without any garden activity! Has everything hibernated for the Winter, Ivy?

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    14 September 2011

A little out of date order, but this is what was crawling on one of my wheeliebins. I have never seen a caterpillar like this before, it was quite small, a little under 2cm., and I have identified it as the larva of a Vapourer moth. No, I've never heard of it either!
                    It's OK, Thijs, it is quite hairy, so you can like it!

This creature looks like one that is common all over the country side in Thailand as well, and that is a caterpillar the locals DO NOT like. It stings terribly and can cause great discomfort.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
                      Waah! Two months without any garden activity! Has everything hibernated for the Winter, Ivy?
                      Waah, waah, waah! Yes. But I'll bring over the front wall moss as you suggested, good idea, Paul. That'll be it then, most likely until the early crocuses and tulips or a wandering polar bear appears.

Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        This creature looks like one that is common all over the country side in Thailand as well, and that is a caterpillar the locals DO NOT like. It stings terribly and can cause great discomfort.
                        Well, it certainly looked exotic enough for a Thai caterpillar. I must Google the Vapourer moth and see if it gives any further info. than my bug book. There must be so many wonderfully marked butterflies and moths in Thailand, Jan-Olav.
                        Ivy

Comment

Don't hold your breath re polar bears, Ivy, unless any escape from your nearest zoo.

Now, arctic foxes and penguins in your pond, now that's another matter!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
                            Now, arctic foxes and penguins in your pond, now that's another matter!
                            I should be so lucky!
                            Ivy

Comment

2 January 2012

Well, no penguins, but here's the new kid on the block.

This one seems to have taken over from dear old AB, he must have been watching us both from afar. He suddenly appeared several weeks ago just as I went out of the back door, running right in front of me and with his head turned towards me. He stood about waiting, and I had to grin to myself. He is either bolder or more trusting than AB, for he immediately took sultanas from my hand outstretched on the ground.
                              Mindful of last winter's icy blasts on my front as I knelt at the back door I decided that if he really wanted the goods he was going to have to jump for them, so I started standing more or less straight up and holding out my hand. He thought about it for a bit, danced around with craned neck, then, seeing nothing else for it, jumped on to the brick planter and leapt to my hand. This was within only a week or two from the start of our acquaintance. He doesn't stay on my hand, just grabs a morsel and dashes back to his perch, repeating the manoevre until the fruit has all gone.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 5th, 2012, 20:12.
                              Ivy

Comment

17 January, 2012

Here's another of this bold young bird. He saw me at my bedroom window and rushed up to perch on the heavily frosted tiles. I left the room quickly as I don't intend to encourage him inside - I can do without whoopsies all over the place!

The other day I saw him on the roof of my shed down the end of the garden, held out my hand - and to my surprise he made one flight straight on to it. He's naturally wary, but seems very trusting and now takes his time removing a sultana from my hand before hopping down.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; February 5th, 2012, 20:13.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X