Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

3 August 2011 (Date of photo).

This one, borage, really ought to be grown up on a bank or terraced area for the flowers droop down so much. That's a pity really, because I love their vivid blue. Yet even seen as here, they make an attractive picture. You can eat both leaves and flowers, apparently they taste of cucumber! Floating in cold drinks they would look really beautiful. But an old book of mine warns that you should not overdo consumption as they have a mild laxative effect.
    Anyway I should think you'd have to pick the leaves when they are young and softly furry, because as they age they get unpleasantly prickly, in fact the whole plant does. Quite vicious!

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Bilious Borage, eh? Think it's best left in the garden than within the digestive system!

Comment

4 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

It had been an absolutely drenching time that day. I had to take a photo for my 366 thread and, looking dismally from the kitchen window, became fascinated by the rings made in the bird bath by the raindrops. I wondered if I could catch a good moment for a pic. It was rather like throwing pebbles into a pond and watching the ripples, except that it was all being done for me and in such a small area the rings were bouncing off each other forming the most delightful patterns.

Last edited by wherrygirl; September 10th, 2011, 17:24.
        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post

And this one:

wow. stunning,awesome you can almost see who is male or female.

a 10
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Bilious borage - just you wait, Cobber!

5 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

The berries of my Arum Italica eventually turn bright scarlet, but I love them when they are just moving from their rich green. Reminds me of peppers, dark green, yellow, orange and red.

Ivy

Comment

13 August, 2011 (Date of photograph)

I had taken a photo of this beautiful rose a day previously, then after heavy rain this day I couldn't resist a second photo of the same blossom, looking as if it were sugar coated, so numerous were the raindrops. The petals have a particularly velvety feel and somehow rain clings to them longer than in other flowers.

Orange Sensation floribunda rose

Ivy

Comment

14 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

I enjoy having sedums of all sorts - ought to have a part of the Patch devoted just to them, really. There, a thought for next year!

This one is quite a hefty one and, although the colour of the fleshy leaves and flowers is muted, yet somehow it always looks delicious with its mix of florets from opening buds to small, fading blossoms - pinky white, rich cream, then tawny colours against the light jade of the leaves. Oh, I love it!

Ivy

Comment

14 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

I had taken a photo of a ladybird on this trellis for my 366 thread, when I thought how attractive the underside of this fern frond was, seen against the light.

Ivy

Comment

17 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

In this country we often think of the Cabbage White butterfly as the most common one, and not very well liked either, as its caterpillars live up to the name by munching away on anything that is large, green and juicy. However, watching this one in a rare, idle moment (actually not really idle as - camera in hand - I was wondering my daily wonder "What on earth can I do today for my 366 thread?"
                    Aforesaid Cabbage White settled on a large rhubarb leaf in a most convenient position, so I quickly grabbed this face-to-face pic..

Ivy

Comment

19 August 2011 (Date of photographs)

Yes, that rose again - I can't resist it.

Orange Sensation floribunda rose

Also this grasshopper appeared. I had hurried out of the back door to do something and out of the corner of my eye saw something small move quickly away. Looking in the direction in which it had jumped I saw the grasshopper on the rhubarb leaf. I rushed inside for my camera and, to my delight, it was still in the same place when I re-emerged.

I thought so, just checked - that grasshopper photo was posted in August 2010. i know what happened, I made a copy which became out of order in amongst recent photos for some reason. However, I'll leave it in here as Thijs has kindly commented on it.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; September 22nd, 2011, 18:04.
                      Ivy

Comment

awesome images Ivy.
                        specially the butterfly and grasshopper,so close.
                        a real master of animal close ups
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

A real master, eh?? Well, I don't know about that but I am certainly drawn more and more to these close-ups of both flowers and insects because the amount of detail revealed is astounding. In the case of insects or other living creatures it somehow draws me into their lives though to many people the reaction would be just oh yeh... or ugh! But the interest that you and Cobber show encourages me. Thanks, Thijs.
                          In fact, my favourite photography seems to be particularly focusing in on two main types of subject: close-ups (of anything) and then the portrayal of what I call indirect light, i.e. a) reflections and their reverse (shadows), b) backlighting and its effect of either silhouetting in the case of a solid object or translucency in subjects like petals. I'm forging ahead, anyway.
                          Ivy

Comment

22 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

Lobelia cardinalis

A tall plant, at first glance this is nothing like the little blue edging flower so popular in gardens, but the flower has the same form and is such a glorious colour. Referring back to the tranlucency I spoke of in the previous post, I put one shot of it in my 333 thread at Day 114, but here is another:

Ivy

Comment

30 August 2011 (Date of photograph)

View from the Patch at my neighbour's hawthorn tree overhanging my garden:

A tail at both ends?

Ivy

Comment

Still on 30 August 2011

The doves again:

Ivy

Comment