Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

14 June 2011 (Date of photograph)

I have a little clematis which shows its pale lavender blossoms in late spring. But when they die, they leave behind these delightful seedheads which, when the sun catches them, give a wonderful display of glistening feathery bundles across the whole plant.

Clematis Macropetala
    Last edited by wherrygirl; August 13th, 2011, 13:10.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

And still the foliage piks excell! keep it up Ivy. It's not easy for me to get out of our back door without having to clear stuff first, so the lawn has been getting wild! I chuck bread etc though the kitchen window so as the seed hasn't been going out our visitors have tended to be sparrows, magpies and woodpigeon - with the occasional squirrel. Finally got out this weekend to tackle the jungle and refilled the seed hanger, so suddenly had visits from the t*ts again (the censor has kicked in on me in the past when I post this word!). The sparrows can perch on the seed feeder but are selective in what they like, ie they chuck the sunflower seeds on the lawn which means the pigeons benefit as well! It has been hilarious in the past watching large wood pigeons trying to scale down a small seed feeder with wings a-flapping! We also have Rhus trees/shrubs that are resplendent with red berries, and the blackbirds LOVE those.

Like your 1st 'destination' pik on the August photo comp site!

Still having to use the pooter at the local library, so can't post any photos up myself, unfortunately. Greetings to all.

Comment

Dear Paul, what on earth have you got outside your back door, for goodness sake???!!
        I enjoyed hearing about your bird feeding efforts, yes, I always have a good laugh to myself when the woodpigeons try to get on to the birdtable. It has a roof, but I had to fix some small pieces of rigid plastic netting on two sides which left only the two other sides where the roof comes down lower. So that makes it difficult for the pigeons. But now and again they still try - and occasionally succeed. The little collared doves have perfected a daring sideways slide down the roof, then a clutch at the corner, quick flapping turn and with any luck they're in! They must need double rations judging by the energy they spend getting to the food.
        Thanks for your comment about my Comp. pic. The previous train had only just left and people hadn't yet started piling onto the platform for the Schiphol train, so for a few moments it was clear.
        Come back soon.
        Ivy

Comment

Back again! Couple of days ago the local squirrel scavenger was under the feeder eagerly snapping up all the sparrow spillages. Then he decided to shin up the swing frame from which it hangs, bullied the sparrows and climbed down the feeder to help himself direct - until I rapped the window pane at it. Usually the cheeky sod just looks up then carries on, but this time it took a flying leap to the fence and ran off - to be immediately replaced by the waiting sparrows.

Previously a squirrel has pulled the feeder down onto the lawn, then it and the pigeons make short work of the contents!

Keep up the good work. Oh, and the debris is inside, not outside as that's where I work!
          Last edited by Paul Cobb; August 19th, 2011, 18:33.

Comment

10 June 2011 (date of photgraph)

I'm trying to catch up now with the Patch. I missed this one so it is a little out of order, but these evening primroses never fail to attract me.

Ivy

Comment

13 June 2011 (Date of photograph)
              I caught this one after a shower of rain, and it must have been because the little carpeting plant (see http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...7310#post47310) has very narrow leaves which are partly visible through the raindrops that they seemed to have facets like a diamond.

Really beautiful.

Also the same day, and in complete contrast, is this marigold. I've blown it up large because I like to "bury" myself in the heart of the image!

Ivy

Comment

1 July 2011 (date of photograph)

The bees are busy on the lavender now, sometimes it is just one big mass of little brown and yellow bodies.

Ivy

Comment

2 July 2011 (Date of photograph)

These day lilies, or Hemerocallis to give them their proper name, were so disappointing this year - the weather, obviously. There were a fair number of flower stalks coming up, but they were much shorter than in previous years and the flowers were smaller, too. Adding to this the fact that there were fewer flowers per stem, the result overall was a pretty poor show soon over.
                  Heigh-ho, next year?

Ivy

Comment

10 July 2011 (date of photograph)

The ever present dove(s)! They are beginning to call the Patch their home, I think, but they still rush off immediately I show up at the back door, silly lot.

Preening on the pergola

On the same day I caught this pair. Posting it on my 366 thread I gave it this caption:

Huh, I can fan my tail like that if I really want to.

Last edited by wherrygirl; September 4th, 2011, 18:50.
                    Ivy

Comment

11 July 2011 )date of photgraph)

These crocosmia multiply each year, I really ought to move them as like most things in my garden they are in the wrong place. But they are splendid.

Ivy

Comment

14 July 2011 (Date of photograph)

This really was lucky. I had just taken a photo of the row of starlings up on the wire, then pressed the button for another shot to make sure, when at that precise second they decided to take off. At one time they were beginning to decrease in numbers nationally, like the house sparrow, but both species are back in force at least around this way now.

Ivy

Comment

21 July 2011 (Date of photgoraph)

I have said before how much I love the common marigold, especially when I see it in the twilight, when it seems to just glow from within. Usually photographed fully open, I caught this one just as it was starting to fold in its petals for the night.

Ivy

Comment

21 July 2011 (Date of photograph)

I had been trying to take a shot of the little brown Gatekeeper butterfly, but it is a very restive creature, seldom settling for long. I gave up in the end. Then, looking down, I saw this bee on the brick edging. Fortunately the weather this so-called spring and summer does not seem to have made any difference to the number of them about.

I have been catching up with the photos on this sadly neglected thread, though many of the photos are on my 366 thread for the few who follow that. I have now completed July. August next, then I'll be up to date.
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; September 4th, 2011, 19:14.
                            Ivy

Comment

Persevere, Ivy. It's all been worth it!

Comment

Thank you very much, Paul.

2 August 2011 (Date of photographs)

I was watching the hoverflies this morning, there are masses of them about these days.

And this one:

Both were self-sown poppies which appeared out of nowhere and continue seeding themselves all over the veggie patch each year, in company with larkspur, acquilega and marigolds!
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X