18 May 2011

First bud - Rose Korresia

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

21 May 2011

The same rose Korresia, fully open. It has a glorious scent.

Last edited by wherrygirl; June 22nd, 2011, 14:29.
      Ivy

Comment

Beautiful, Ivy!!!
        I used to grow hybrid teas, but got fed up with the fussiness- and while they were beautiful, they had NO scent!!!

Now, I have some of the David Austin roses. I need to move them closer to the garden, so I can water them more easily, but once they get a little water and start blooming, they smell as glorious as they look!!!

I think my toad friend came to live with you when I pulled up the geranium he used to hide under.....the heat and spider mites just did it in.

Comment

4 June 21011

Two weeks away and it's back to work!

I thought that after two weeks AB would have decided that he must search elsewhere for those little brown, wrinkled nuggets. But would you believe it, the first morning after my return home, there he was practically hopping up and down outside the back door in excitement to find that the Great Sultana had returned.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; June 22nd, 2011, 15:51.
          Ivy

Comment

5 June 2011

I have never sown larkspur in the garden, they were there when I first came back in the 60's and have seeded themselves regularly all over the place ever since. From the original colour shown below they seem to throw up sports of white and pale pink, though this last year only the deep blue/violet appeared.
            I never have the heart to pull them up unless they are really in the way, so the side veggie patch tends to have larkspur amongst the rhubarb, fighting it out with the potatoes and tangling with the peas.

Last edited by wherrygirl; July 14th, 2011, 19:37.
            Ivy

Comment

6 June 2011

Last edited by wherrygirl; June 22nd, 2011, 16:06.
              Ivy

Comment

7 June 2011

I do love this summer jasmine for its fresh yellow leaves as they first emerge in the spring, a colour which gradually deepens to gold as the summer light strengthens. And the perfume from the minute white flowers is powerfully sweet. Lovely plant.

Ivy

Comment

8 June 2011

As Thijs said, the leaf colours of this little pelargonium are as good, if not better than the flowers. I love the flowers as well, though, because the small scarlet blooms show singly instead of being packed tightly in a big head like other, more popular, varieties.

Ivy

Comment

9 June 2011

I opened the back door this morning and there it was, crouched on the step. It seemed to be the same one that was discovered trying to bury itself in the flower pot a while ago.

Last edited by wherrygirl; July 14th, 2011, 19:39.
                    Ivy

Comment

Ribbit! Bet there weren't many flies about.

It always alarming when in low light one suddenly jumps from where you are about to put down your foot!

Comment

AB died a few weks ago - he must have done. He came to the back door as usual one morning, no, correction, NOT as usual for he was moving with difficulty. He took a few sultanas then managed to jump up on to a brick planter where he squatted. Then he started squawking every few moments. It seemed involuntary, rather like hiccups in a human. He kept looking up at me and I held out my palm, but he wasn't interested in more fruit. Eventually he flew off.
                        Next morning he appeared again but could hardly raise himself up off the ground, just shuffled along.
                        Finally, on the third day, I opened the back door to put out the bird food and that little creature was lying there facing the door, eyes half closed. He looked up at me and, reaching for the sultana jar, I knelt at the doorway and held out my hand. He crouched there and took one or two from my open palm. Suddenly the other blackbird appeared and AB somehow gathered himself together and flew away. I've not seen him since.
                        It shook me, OK, only a bird, but the sight of him somehow collapsed at my door yet at right angles to it as if waiting to walk in, it just won't go away. And somehow it has tangled with my finding my dear friend collapsed in her room upstairs last November and her death a few hours later.
                        There is the other bird who has cottoned on to the sultana jar, having watched AB in the past, and seeing him on the bird table looking expectantly at the kitchen window gives me a jolt. I throw him some fruit, but - quite honestly - wish he'd go away, poor creature! He seems to have had a few bad feather weeks recently, for his legs looked as if they were feathered like an eagle's and body feathers stood out at all angles. I know you see some sights while they moult but I've never seen such a mess as this one. Like AB, he suddenly appears and runs across in front of me when I go out in the garden. Disconcerting.
                        Ivy

Comment

RIP, AB.
                          You weren’t “just” a bird.

Comment

Shame, Ivy. It is definitely possible to become attached to a wild bird - I had such a relationship with a robin last year and it seems to have gone now.

You'll miss him. But keep up the garden posts.

Comment

Dear Cecilia and Paul, your posts came as a surprise and brought a lump to my throat. RIP indeed, it was strange to find him at the door that last morning because wild creatures usually go off to conceal themselves when they are unwell. But he seemed to want to be near the house. Thank you both very much for your thoughts.
                              Paul, it's so good to see you still popping in when you can. Keep it up. And yes, I'll keep the Patch going, although at the moment it's been such a weird year weatherwise that there has been little worth photographing. I could go on about the differing effects that the cold and drought have had on my plants, but this was never intended to be a gardening thread, merely just an excuse to snap the various flowers, leaves, insects, birds, frogs etc. that I came across, a sort of microcosm of wildlife as seen in my small area.
                              With little worth showing, I have taken to posting appropriate pics. from my 366 thread on here as well. Even my passion flower, so splendid last year, has so far given forth two really mingy little blossoms that I wouldn't dignify by taking their portrait.
                              Heigh-ho...
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; August 5th, 2011, 19:10.
                              Ivy

Comment

11 June 2011 (The date of the photograph)

I am very behind with garden images on this thread, and miss not doing it for some strange reason. Several things that really belong here have been posted on my 366 thread, so, as before, I'm copying them over here.
                                It's been such a disappointing "summer" with really little in the garden to get excited about plus the fact that I just don't seem to have got it together this year. Didn't even get round to buying the little fibrous rooted begonias that I practically always have each side of the front door. I'll miss them in a few weeks time when most other things have died down, for they usually went on till about November.
                                So, here goes.

This has a beautiful leaf, and the plant sends up very tall stems with a poker-like inflorescence of tiny white flowers in late summer. They are there now, but the flowers are still just minute purply-brown pinheads. I tried photographing them last year but made a mess of it, they are so difficult to capture. Will try again this year.
                                Meanwhile, have a leaf:

Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X