Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darling Ivy-
    I'm so sorry you miss your friend Constance-- but I know she is watching your gardening, so go ahead and tell her!!!!!

Spring is busting out all over here...and your crocuses gave me such a smile!

Ah, the King Alfreds--my grandmother had a strip of them at the very edge of the yard. Over the years, they multiplied to an area about 5 meters by 20 meters. Sprinkled in were little purple wood hyacinths. As a little girl, I would play out there, pretending to be Dorothy running through the poppies in the Wizard of Oz.....

Thank you for bringing back that memory!!!

Comment

sorry to hear that of your friend,a companian with the same intrests as your self is gold.

there is nothing wrong to keep the memory alive.
      its better to be stupid,by thingking of her,then never think of her,then she would be gone and forgotten.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

22 April, 2011

Thank you, Elizabeth and Thijs. Oh, Constance will never be forgotten while I'm still around, bless her.

I have thought for the past weeks that AB had gone AWOL, he had completely disappeared. Remembering his apparent fear when appearing for his daily feast, crouching and then diving for cover under the conifer, I assumed that he had finally been ousted by that other, younger one.
        However he has returned, looking spruce and perky as ever. On the first day of his re-appearance he was a little hesitant about the sultanas, though took them eventually. But next morning he nearly fell off the birdtable when he saw me, rushing up to the back door as of old. Yesterday I was sitting on the bench enjoying a coffee when I spied him on top of a chimney two doors away. I fetched the sultana jar, waved it at him, and, my goodness, he did a gannet swoop straight down to my feet.

Here are some tulip pics. I took recently, they are species tulips which generally open out almost flat, unlike the more cultivated ones. I know and have grown quite a few of them, but can't remember whether these are of the Kaumanniana group or Praestans.

Last edited by wherrygirl; April 27th, 2011, 00:00.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Ivy

Comment

I just love the richness of colour of these tulips.
            Ivy

Comment

Same type of tulip, but it was a little later opening and attained this really delightful shape:

Ivy

Comment

And finally, for fun:

Ivy

Comment

Exquisite flowers!
                  …and what a lovely Easter present to have AB back. I loved reading about his return…now that really was “Springwatch”!

Comment

Love the pics, Ivy! And I so agree with Cecilia..I have been wondering about AB, and what a DELIGHT to here he is back!!!!!!! Which reminds me, I must go fill up the bird feeders for the cardinals and goldfinches....and I've spotted a hummingbird "scouting" for feeders!!!

Comment

I love tulips. Unfortunately I transplanted most of mine early this spring so I did not get many blossoms. Thank you for the photos of yours.

Comment

26 April 2011

This sprig amazed me with its colour - just an ordinary rose-bush - Karelia - with luscious golden blooms, but quite ordinary green leaves when they are fully grown. I don't remember the tender new leaves being anything other than a fresh-looking green in previous years. Some queer things have happened in the garden this year, some plants bouncing into spring as if the cold winter had never happened while others show the strain.

What with that and the wonderful display suggested by the flowers above, it has been a very cheering early spring, colourwise.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; April 26th, 2011, 23:59. Reason: Added date
                        Ivy

Comment

Re: Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Good to hear AB came back to visit you, Wherrygirl. A liking for nuts, too? If so, Cadbury's might be interested in him!

Keep up the garden posting.

Comment

12 May 2011
                            I am copying over quite a few from my 366 thread as gthey really belong here primarily.

Ivy

Comment

14 May 2011

One of the decorative garlic family.

Allium karataviense "Ivory Queen"

Last edited by wherrygirl; June 22nd, 2011, 12:12.
                              Ivy

Comment

17 May 2011

Trying to hibernate - in May?!

Ivy

Comment

Working...