Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 November 2010
    I'm concerned about Ancient Bird. Just over a week ago he plucked up courage and ran quickly up to my outstretched hand and grabbed a sultana from it. Finding that nothing dreadful happened he approached again and gobbled up the rest, hopping away only an inch or so between grabs. Now he is often waiting outside the back door and runs up when he sees me. But that newcomer and he are battling it out for the territory. I think A.B. will eventually lose out. Yesterday they were making dummy runs at each other, forward and back, forward and back, but all very silent and with no wing-flapping displays. Funnily enough, both had their eye on me as if looking to see which one I admired most!
    All the time A.B. is sultana-occupied he is on the look out for the enemy, and if the other bird appears in the distance his fear is palpable as he starts and crouches. I hope he survives the winter all right, he looks healthy enough apart from the white feathers, eyes clear and sparkling as he looks at me and plumage in excellent condition.
    Here's one I took of him a while ago, on the bird-table:

Last edited by wherrygirl; November 13th, 2010, 00:23.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Change birds. Snoozing on the fence between my neighbour and I:

Ivy

Comment

16 November 2010

Last night there was a freezing fog. It finished off my cheerful little begonias by the front door and didn't do much good to one or two other things, either. But this was an absolute bonus - the hazy moon with Venus. The latter, strangely, was pin sharp by comparison.

Last edited by wherrygirl; November 17th, 2010, 11:34.
        Ivy

Comment

20 November 2010
          5 days ago I took some veggie peelings to the compost heap and as I returned towards the back door I looked up to lose myself in the blueness of the sky and this took my breath away:

There was no sign of a jet trail anywhere in the distance and I don't think it could be that anyway. These very high cirrus clouds which here we call mares' tails had been strewn across the sky all morning, a sign of strong winds at a great height. I must have been at just the right angle to the ice crystals in the cloud formation to see this phenomenon, which stayed for several moments then gradually faded. Maybe I was the only one to catch it just then? The photo was taken facing due south just after midday.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; November 20th, 2010, 17:54.
          Ivy

Comment

What strikes me is that it looks like an inverted (is that a correct word?) rainbow... peculiar.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

29 November 2010
              I have been meaning to post this one for some time, it was taken on 1 November. A house up the street had quite a clump of them in their front garden, whereas this is just one plant. But I'm happy with that, especially in this position, for on either side there are various sedums, which I really love with their variety of shapes and shades of green, jade, cream and plum and the nerine stands out so well amongst them. It struck me when looking down at it that it looked rather like a delicately carved oval brooch in its symmetry.

Nerine Bowdenii
              Last edited by wherrygirl; November 29th, 2010, 19:37.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                What strikes me is that it looks like an inverted (is that a correct word?) rainbow... peculiar.
                I'm quite sure that had one been able to find the right spot, this rainbow would have been seen as a complete circle, because the radius is relatively small compared to the "normal" one we see.
                (Yes, "inverted" is correct.)
                Ivy

Comment

I posted that nerine this morning, but you should see it now, after the frost and snow. And it had been so beautiful......

Instead we have this, taken earlier today:

I had pictures like this taken in January of this year! Would have thought once was enough.
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; November 29th, 2010, 19:36.
                  Ivy

Comment

It has been off and on all day, with spells of gloom spattered with thick snowflakes like the previous picture, but also brighter moments:

Last edited by wherrygirl; November 29th, 2010, 20:44.
                    Ivy

Comment

Ancient Bird was practically sitting on the back doorstep first thing this morning, in fact as soon as the door opened he advanced on to the step without a qualm, giving me his tilted upward glance demanding you-know-what. I had slipped on my old gardening shoes intending to go out and empty the tea-leaves on a flowerbed somewhere - not too far from the back door. Instead muttering to myself that I'd made a rod for my own back, I put down the tea-pot, picked up the little jar and his greedy, beady little black eyes brightened - he was practically doing a jig on the doorstep.
                      The following are not good, he's camera shy and the click startled him. I believe I can silence it, must see. However, here he is. (I shouldn't mention that other bird but I haven't seen him around recently, although A.B. keeps a sharp lookout.

Ivy

Comment

And again, his head is blurred because he's perfected the art of the quick snatch - and I'm operating the camera with my other hand. Don't forget, also, (rubbing it in... ) I'm kneeling on the mat with the icy blasts freezing my front.

Ivy

Comment

That is quite a change from photo #141 to #143. I'm watching the second snow I've seen in Amsterdam and think you have it beat by a mile.

I did get to catch them feeding the ducks and swans down in the red light district this evening. I must admit I have never before seen someone throw 50 pounds of feed to the birds. The guy just kept throwing big scoops of food until the entire sack was gone. I'm curious if this was special or if they feed that much every night. ---Oh, when I get home I'll post some pictures. Probably 50 swans and 200+ ducks in the narrow canal. What a sight.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            I posted that nerine this morning, but you should see it now, after the frost and snow. And it had been so beautiful......

Instead we have this, taken earlier today:

I had pictures like this taken in January of this year! Would have thought once was enough.
                            I think it is still beautiful... all that white fluffy snow falling and creating a Christmas-like landscape... so wonderful to watch, from the comfort of a nice warm armchair (inside the house)...
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I've always been puzzled by one thing as I watch birds skid across the ice in my puddle or hop round the frozen water in the bird bath-cum-drinking water (they're not fussy what they use it for). They search for a little gleam of water around the edge, then try round the other side and all in vain till I go out and do something about it. Why don't they take up a beakful of snow, fresh and pure, unlike that in the bowl???
                              Then, at last, this morning a female blackbird perched on the birdtable roof and, as I watched, scooped up beakfuls of snow, again and again.
                              It takes the female of the species.......
                              Ivy

Comment

Ivy-one of my favorite sightings occurred in the middle of winter when we lived in Connecticut. AJ was in preschool, and Alix was about a year old.. There was a small lake that had frozen over...ice just thick enough not to crack, but still thin enough for birds to see through.

I was driving AJ to school one day, and noticed two bald eagles standing on the ice. I pulled the car over and stopped to watch them. It was obvious that they could see the fish swimming beneath the ice, but couldn't figure out how to get them. The way they c0cked their heads to one side and then looked at each other, I could understand perfectly what they were trying to do!!! They were so puzzled! It was hilarious watching them!

I also realized for the first time how BIG bald eagles are!!! Of course, it was the days before I carried around a camera with me all the time...Heck, it was the days before everyone had a mobile phone!
                                Last edited by ehp; January 10th, 2011, 19:24. Reason: I hate this naughty word filter!

Comment

Working...
                                X