No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much, Sigve, and if I haven't said it already I'm hugely enjoying your b&w photography
    Ralf has beaten me here while I was writing this! - the first thing which came into my mind was his recent visit, for I took him and family to both Calton Hill and up to the Castle. The Castle Esplanade where you photographed your guide will look a bit different to how Ralf saw it during the Festival when there were temporary grandstands on each side of the view as shown here on #59/1 -and a lot more visitors around! The tea and scones place would most likely have been in the High Street, but such establishments and shops have come and gone through the years.

The other CVF member who came to mind was Yves who posted a couple of photos he'd taken in Edinburgh, also from the 1980's. It took me rather a while to get round to taking a 'now' photo to his 'then', but I do eventually get round to fulfilling such promises, and now I have a further assignment!

To be going on with, a few pointers: In #59/2, the first of the two views from Calton Hill looking towards Leith, you can see the island of Inchkeith in the Firth of Forth on the right, and at the extreme left of the photo is the lock entrance to Western Harbour. The view continues to the left with some overlap onto #59/3 where you can even see the old lighthouse which I recently featured in both the Cruise ships and abandoned buildings threads. The distinctive shape of the flour mill is not so obvious because buildings around it have been demolished, and other features in the foreground are best left until I take a comparative photo.

Ralf will certainly have recognised that row of columns on Calton Hill, seen from the Castle in #60/1.
    The National Gallery and Waverly station are in the foreground, the Scott Monument and east end of Princes Street on the left, and centre is the Balmoral Hotel - then called the North British Hotel - with its fine clock tower. The big change is that area in front of the hotel between Princes Street and the station.It is now a shopping mall - below street level because of an old Act of Parliament preventing any building on the south side of Princes Street obscuring the views.

In #60/3, only one of the gasholders remains as preserved heritage.
    The shadow of arches in #60/6 is the viaduct described here.

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, both of you, for your comments and local knowledge from Seagull!

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I love it - a gasometer as an Ancient Monument! More or less, anyway, even if Cecilia does not give it that designation.

Sigve look at the same cimetary for soldiers dogs i 1982.

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! You beat me there! By one year or so....
      What a marvellous view they have from their cemetery,the dogs...
      Last edited by Sigve; January 29th, 2014, 07:22.

January 29, 2014

Taste of Copenhagen, 2006

Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 08:27.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummi!!! What a delicious sight.

Always great those then and now images,digging in old shoeboxes is nice,the problems come when you have to pain your brain to think about what is on it.
    no sign of Morag M yet Cecilia?
    best regards Thijs

Comment

January 30, 2014
      The design of Fram was not given from the start. Above is one of the first sketches, published 2003, when the news about the new ship was released. Below is a newer sketch, from 2005. And that’s how she ended. We are all happy about that, I think. As we can see, the first was a much smaller ship than what was the final result.

(Drawings from OVDS, presented in the press)
      Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 07:12.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

This is an interesting comparison in #65! I've never seen that before. Yes we can be happy about the final result. Fram today is unique and very characterful. The first layout is just a "normal", minimized Hurtigrute. That would have been quite boring.

Way back you asked for the "GA plans" of World Discoverer, in post #33. The history of the ship fascinated me and so i looked around a bit.
        Here are the results.

Unfortunately I found some misleads: First i found the new one...

Deck 7

Deck 6

Deck 5

Deck 4

Deck 3

Legend

Source: http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/inf...&id=2&spid=114

Then i found a wrong one:

Source: http://www.hhvferry.com/deckplans
        Last edited by Ralf__; January 30th, 2014, 11:06.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Then i found this, which i think, is better than nothing:

source: http://www.g-schmidt.com/schiffsmode...rer-1-100.html

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
            Sigve commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Ralf. That was a nice surprise!
            But, what you call the "wrong one" MV Lowell Thomas Discoverer I think is the right one. Or a sister ship. The layout of the promenade deck is according to the sketch in post 67. It looks like the whole panorama deck is public spaces, including two lounges. Then there is the panorama lounge up top. I think it would have been very exciting to go with her!
            PS: The new World Discoverer is a nice ship, of course, but in my eyes without the character and personality of the old one.
            Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 14:43.

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you are right, it is the same one. I found three sources which describe each a little bit. So it seems, this puzzle is solved.

1. There is brochure offered at ebay, showing "your ship" on the cover.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWELL-THOMA...3D360752863921

2. The ship is mentioned in the Toledo Blade newspaper of 19th February 1977:
            "The 250 passenger cruise liner Lowell Thomas Explorer will make it's maiden voyage on May 28th. (...) The Explorer, built in 1952 in Sweden, once sailed a Helsinki to Leningrad cruise run on the Baltic Sea. Last fall it was purchased by Midlake cruises to replace a similar vessel, Lowell Thomas Discoverer, which the firm operated on limited Great Lake tours in 1975. The year before, the firm opereated a leased Norwegian vessel called Stella Maria."
            http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5130,4230284

3. She was a charter ship in 1975, according to faktaomfartyg.se:
            "1973 12 08. Sjösatt som BEWA DISCOVERER, Men företaget som beställde fartyget hamnade i ekonomiska problem.
            Levererades 19 oktober 1975 till Discoverer Cruises, Köpenhamn, Danmark i samarbete med Hamburg Discoverer navigation company.
            1975. Utchartrad till Reederei de Vries & Co, Hamburg, Tyskland."
            http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/world_discoverer_1975.htm

• Sigve
            Sigve commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank You again, Ralf. You are a true detective!

January 31, 2014

Floating beauties

Black Prince (Venus) and Black Watch (Jupiter), both 1966 for Fred Olsen Lines, were beautiful and versatile ships ahead of their time. In the summer they went between Norway/Sweden/Denmark and Newcastle, in the winter they were cruising the Mediterranean, fully equipped for carrying fruit and vegetables. There were even a car deck that could take a number of cars and 3-4 coaches. I went with the one in 84 (?) Esbjerg – Newcastle (DFDS) and the other Stavanger – Newcastlle (86, Norway Line) and then Jupiter (Black Watch) Bergen - Newcastle (Norway Line) in 92. Black Prince was a welcome customer in norwegian fjords until 2009, and was then sold to Latin America where it still is afloat as Ola Esmeralda, a hotel ship. Black Watch was sold to indian scrappers in 2008.

(Company postcard, faded)

Speaking of beauty and design; BP/BW were the fulfilment of a design that Fred Olsen startet just after WWII. The remarkable funnel was characteristic of this design, along with the long, low hull and the rounded bridge. I dare say that there are no more beautiful ships built ever since.
          Last edited by Sigve; January 31st, 2014, 16:16.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            What always impressed me - watching pictures of these ships - is indeed the bridge design. It must been a really small bridge - compared to other ships. How did Captains and Officers like this working place?

I presume in those days, they didn't even think about big bridges like those we have today.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            And I would say that the way of working has also changed. Nowadays pretty much everything is happening on the bridge, while in the old days you did have some other rooms for other functions, like the radio room. There's also more equipment on a modern bridge.

February 1, 2014

Morning disguise:

Nordkapp, southbond, hidden by the early morning fog. Florø, 26.4.2004.

(Nikon digital photo)
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

thats a great image,such a vessel out of the fog
            best regards Thijs

Comment

February 2, 2014

Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord) in Flåm, July 2006. Not exactly "clean ship"

Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

but she compares that with her looks.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Great ship with a an unmistakable profile - may she have a long and healthy role in her new life!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

February 3, 2014:

There are small boats and big boats. Queen Elizabeth in Flåm 25.6.2012.

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Working...
                    X