Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 19, 2015:

I should have posted these pictures much before, but due to a computer crash you must excuse me. When cruising around Molde-Averøya this day, I learned that Lofoten was the ship of the day. Therefore I went the shortest way to Kristiansund and took up my favorite pisition in Sterkoders country.

First came Braemar, outbound

The nice old lady was on time:

Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

June 19, 2015 part 2:

And out again.

Seen from Atlasnterhavsveien:

Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        The ship looks totally different in that livery, faschinating.

Computer crash? I had one too during the weekend, refreshing isn't it? :-)

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Such quiet elegance - no fancy shapes. Also looking fully booked for summer, hope the numbers drop off by October......!

Fully dressed, MS Nordnorge (1964) docks in Ålesund on her maiden voyage in the schedule, June 12, 1964. At that time, you had a camera with a fixed lens, and succeded not always to secure the whole motive. Sorry about that.

This year, 3 new hurtigruter had made their maiden calls at Ålesund. March 6; Lofoten. May 12; Kong Olav and then Nordnorge, June 12.

I refer to Captain Arnvid Hansen, who captained both Nordnorge and a number of other vessels in Hurtigruten, including both Nordkapp, Nordnorge (1997), Fram and Finnmarken up to 2012.
      He said: Nordnorge (1964) - the BEST hurtigruten ship ever to sail and manouvre.

I am so free as to enclose a "selfie" from that time, the young photographer with his Leica IIf and a 3,5/50 mm Elmar lens, retractable, to be pushed into the camera body. And then you could put the whole camera in your inner pocket. A shame I sold it some years later when in need for money.....

Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        What an elegant, striking ship. What happened to her? Did someone buy her? She was as old as Lofoten...

• PoloUK
        PoloUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Nari - try here: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...sland-explorer - warning though, it's sad.

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, an inglorious end to such a good looking vessel. At least Finnmarken was saved from the wreckers but it could be argued she looks quite undignified sitting ashore at Stockmarknes.

September 12, 2015:

Today I went to Nærøyfjorden, my nearest World Heritage Area and one of Norways most spectacular fjords. Albatros - ex Royal Viking Sea and one of the most beautiful cruise ships ever built, and a true friend of the norwegian fjords - was scheduled to arrive at Gudvangen in the afternoon. And nearly on the minute she came. I photographed her from one of my favorite spots, at Bakka with the tiny church, where Nærøyfjorden is at its narrowest. Albatros belongs to the largest group of ships that can enter this fjord.

Then Albatros waited on the fjord for passengers having taken the Norway in a Nutshell excursion from Flåm to Voss by train and to Gudvangen by coach.

Then she turned and left (As you perhaps can see, there wasn't much light, these pictures were taken on ISO 1600):

And then she was off through the narrow at Bakka:

Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

Wonderful images of the Albatros in spectacular surroundings!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

October 30, 2015:
          Prinsesse Ragnhild beached in Alang. I found this picture on Bergen Havn's Facebook profile yesterday. How sad! What a shame, if you ask me...

Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

That is sad. Doesn't feel like a long time ago that she was sailing up and down Oslofjord.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So far from home, so very, very far from home.... about to get slaughtered.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A short Easter Cruise:
                In the Easter, I made a cruise Bergen - Trondheim - Bergen. I went north with the much criticized Kong Harald, and then south with the Nordlys. In the Kong Harald thread I have made an interior report from Kong Harald.
                Her are some pictures I took:

Bergen: Here we go!

In the morning, Frøysjøen:

After a long night, the full moon settled over Frøysjøen and Bremangerlandet:

I was not the only early riser that wanted to greet southbound Lofoten at Hornelen.

Crossing the Stad:

HRG's docking place in Ålesund, Skansekaia, is totally rebuilt, with great windows that mirrors the docking Kong Harald:

Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

A short Easter Cruise - Part 2:

At dusk we met southbound Midnatsol at the Ormen Lange gas terminal in Aukra:

In Trondheim I switched to southbound Nordlys and her untouched interior:

In the next dusk, we met Lofoten again, in Aukra:

We were one hour late out of Måløy, and met northbound Midnatsol in the harbour.

To shorten the time, the expedition team led a group of passengers in folk dance on Deck 7:

South of Værlandet and Alden, thanks for now:

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

Thank you very much for that trip-report... lovely images to say at least.

I have to admit that I have a very different feeling when seeing images of Lofoten and when seeing images of the other ships. Lofoten is a ship of the class that made me love Hurtigruten. When these ships disappeared from the coast, so did my interest as well. The image of Lofoten beneath the bridgewing is brilliant... nice capture!

Comment

Nice to see the difference between new and old in such a close comparison. I think each one has to judge by himself, and you know what i am thinking...
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I did not know that Nordlys was so very glitzy, but so be it. A cousin of mine and his Scottish wife will be sailing on her in May and they have been asking lots of questions about Norway, some of which I can answer!

And I have to agree with Jan-Olav.... Lofoten is the last remaining indication of a very different era in Norwegian coastal voyages.

• Sigve
                        Sigve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        For more pictures of the Nordlys interior, look at Pakarangs pictures, page 3, in the Nordlys thread.

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks - will do.

Going through old dias films, I found these pictures from Ålesund July 1990, showing Lofoten departing Ålesund in the old Finnmark Fylkesrederi and Rutelag livery, and overtaken by the express boat to Nordøyane. Pictures taken from Fjellstua.

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

Kong Olav in the ice at Svalbard, in Vesteraalens livery, that is 1978 or later. Undated photo, unknown photographer. Picture from Riksarkivets fotoweb.
                        (From 1968 to 1982, the companies sailed a special express schedule in the summer, which included Svalbard).

Hurtigruteskipet M/S Kong Olav by Sigmund Krøvel-Velle, on Flickr
                        Last edited by Sigve; July 4th, 2017, 08:33.
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

• nari
                          nari commented
                          Editing a comment
                          All great photos, all old ships and very good to see them.

• Ralf__
                          Ralf__ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Such a great bonus picture especially for Ivy and Jan-Olav!!

April 9, 2016:

Polarlys called at Skjolden, a remote corner of Sognefjorden, on her two days long Sognefjordcruise. People were welcomed on board the open ship.

Old Grandpa enjoying himself in a rocking chair, with marine decorations on the wall, mirroring the landscape Hurtigruten passes through (Companys words).

Tiny Polarlys on the big Lustra Fjord.:

Last edited by Sigve; April 11th, 2016, 11:21.
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

• Ralf__
                          Ralf__ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh that is great to have someone sitting in that farm museum environment. The size of the furniture looked a lot smaller than it is in fact.
                          Now that seems to be more solid than i had the impression before.
                          Anyway this will not terminate the discussion about the look itself.

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Rocking that chair would probably be the only way you could have a feeling of being on a ship/boat "at sea"?
                          The rest of the furniture there looks totally out of place, although you may find something like it in a "Kaarstove" along Sognefjorden.
                      Working...
                      X