No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice report, Sigve. The pub is really fantastic, but it will be not enough argument to book a cruise on her. Way to big for me, as you know of course. If someone has an explanation for the extensive use of classic papercutters, please let me know. I had a conference yesterday with one of the producers of these machines and they are totally surprised by the huge number of orders and they don't know, why!
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your comment, Ralf. Below I have posted some extra pictures. Obviously there is a great need for analogue anacronistic devices even in our hightech time!

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      As Ralf,these big boats are not my favorite ones.#587 /4 is very eloquent!
      But I like your report Sigve.Lively.

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Can it be because the paperless office does not work??
      As for the paper cutter in the Ships Office on Britannia it may be because they prepare position reports etc. for distribution. (Guess only)
      As for "Chart Room"; I would imagine that they are using Electronic Charts only and don't even need a Chart Room/ Chart Table any more?
      The number of large screen on the Bridge indicate that.

April 29, 2015:

Report on MV Britannia in Flåm – some extras.

Some passengers take bikes ashore to have some excercise.

The theatre with over 900 seats.

The bridge is enormous – this is only a part of the central part.

From the bridge you can see Flåm far down there.

Britannia really fills up the harbour of Flåm.

Britannia has a maximum capacity of 4.400 passengers, but on her first cruise to Norway she brought «only» 3.600. And then there is a crew of 1.400.

Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Nice reportage Sigve. This was the first time I kind of got some kind of grip of this ship.

Comment

Oh my, Sigve, what an unexpected treat! - although you promised more photos following the 'teaser' in the Norway cruise ships thread, I had not anticipated you would take us aboard and even a bridge visit!

It always takes more than just lengths and dimensions for me to get a real feel for a ship's size. Norway’s 'big scenery', as in the Sognefjord in the first photo, can take such a ship as this looking quite natural, but then we arrive in Flåm looking like a tiny model village and Britannia's scale really starts to sink in.

Like Polo I do like the 'flag' - hull painting art at its best, and inside there is also a British feel and a great deal to like in the brown, beige and cream tones and understated elegance of, for example, that dining room.

But, Sigve dear (with your mind-boggling imagination exceeding even Britannia's size! ) ...as we reach the atrium I have decided against that tiara and diamonds for such a staircase-descending entrance. I do however still have a long dress in brownish colours from the late 60's early 70's with a Mary Quant imitation daisy on the bodice that would do as a British look (last worn onboard Discovery as recently as 2011 !!!!!).

Comment

Thank you for your nice comments! I agree with you about the size. Personally I would prefer something smaller. Fram is more my type of ship! If one day I could afford a Fram cruise, a dream would come true!

But the big ships – they are maybe unelegant and jumbolike – but they are impressive!
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

May 6, 2015:

There was another visitor to Flåm on April 29, the same day as Britannia called; - The Marco Polo, a true and long time friend of norvegian waters, summer as winter, a bit more modest in size and appearance than the main guest of the day....

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks like a ship!!!!

Britannia looks like a tarted-up hotel which floats. Marco Polo actually looks like a ship. Ombugge, I think we're getting old or set in our ways or something.

Comment

May 7, 2015;

I can't remember if I have posted this picture before? It shows Polarlys on a misty and moodfull summer evening at about 2330 hrs (23:21:18 to be exact), on Harøyfjorden near Bud, approaching Hustadvika, taken from one of my favorite spots, the Ergan Fort, Bud, Fræna, Møre og Romsdal, June 18, 2011.

(Nikon digital photo)
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

All my ten thumbs up for that report from Britannia... very interesting to see!

What an amazing sight seeing that giant ship gliding in to port on mirror-like waters!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I lost Lady C with a small margin.

Eidfjord; May 15 2015:
                  I passed through Eidfjord on Ascension en route to Bergen. Fram was there. I knew Seagull was onboard and hoped i would meet her on the quay. But no, I think the passengers were having lunch before Fram was scheduled to depart at 1400 hrs.

I waited to take a picture of Fram departing. But she didn’t depart at 1400 hrs, neither at 1430 so I had to leave to keep my own schedule.

Actually Fram didn’t leave that day at all. According to Seagull’s FB page there was some sort of «electrical problem affecting the propulsion». And for a ship like Fram, which is driven forward by propulsion, this can be "deep shit". Let's all be happy this didn't happen in the Drake Passage. So Fram was docked in Eidfjord until the next evening when she eventually left nearly 35 hours after schedule.

On that extra day in Eidfjord the passengers were bussed to Flåm and an excursion with the Flåm Railway. But they missed Undredal and Nærøyfjorden. Today, Saturday, she is calling at Balestrand, on schedule. Tomorrow, Fram wil be docked in Olden to celebrate Norways National Day 17. mai.

I think Seaugull will give us a thorough report when time comes.
                  Last edited by Sigve; May 16th, 2015, 22:01.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

May 18, 2015:

In southwestern Norway, the spring has been so cold that some places, like Eidfjord, they have made woolen knit stockings for the trees to prevent them from freezing. (Just look, there is still snow in the mountains...)

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a wonderful photo!! I love the stocking for the poor tree, struggling to keep its new leaves.
                      All I can say is that I hope October will be cold enough for lots of snowfalls. Especially in Kirkenes.

• PoloUK
                      PoloUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with Nari - that's a beautiful photo Sigve! Brings back happy memories of staying in the hotel at Eidfjord a few years ago. Really miss the UK to Bergen ferries that used to make that route to Oslo so wonderful.

MOLDE, DOCKSIDE SIGHTINGS:

When I checked into Thon Hotel Moldefjord yesterday, June 18, I asked for a room with a view to the Hurtigruten quay. This is what I could see from my hotel window during one hour and a half in the evening.

First came southbound Kong Harald.

Loaded and unloaded.

Then left.

15 minutes later came northbound Nordnorge:

Loaded and unloaded.

Then left.

End of free entertainment. (A pity the north and southbound do not dock at the same time in Molde during the summer schedule no longer. But they don't...)
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Lofoten, this nice old lady; outbound from Kristiansund today, June 19, 2015:

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There seems to be a change in protocol with regard to pax being on the bridge. I have noticed this in several photos now.

On every voyage I have done no-one has been allowed on the bridge deck to view something, with the exception of Stokksund and Raftsundet. Apart from freezing cold, it is a wonderful viewpoint, especially entering and leaving harbour.

• Sigve
                        Sigve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If that is so, that is a pity!

Hustadvika, June 19, 2015:

What a nice sighting! Lofoten on Hustadvika, seen from Atlanterhavsveien.

Last edited by Sigve; June 23rd, 2015, 06:56.
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

Sigve! …umpteen apologies - it was only just now, looking at your latest post of Lofoten, that I have come across your #600 and 601 of Fram in Eidfjord. Such super photos too. Fortunately you were able to learn what happened on FB (CVF just isn't practical on the move with very limited internet.) I did attempt to fully 'catch up' with CVF after I returned, but it isn't as easy to see what one has or hasn't read as it used to be with the old software.
                        Anyway, I am now coming up to the "Eidfjord Days" in the trip report over on Fram's thread, so stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                        X