No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The documentary style really have great appeal to me.

I love looking through these old images of yours - they tell tales of a time now gone.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• A swedish collegue - part I:

In 1987 I visited a collegue, Bengt W, Østersund, Sweden, who was a freelance photographer and ran his business from home.

In the basement he had a very professional setup.

His negatives were stored in a large number of legal size binders.

His slides were stored in drawers (left) and his positive copies in hanging files (right).

Every job, every name, was meticulously indexed in this very analogue system.

Because of his system, he could find any slide or any negative in a couple of seconds.

This is his workspace with light table.

Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• A swedish colleague - part II:

In his very well equipped darkroom you can see his 35 mm Leitz Focomat enlarger (right) and his 6 X 9 cm enlarger to the left.

This is the wet part of his darkroom, with a wet bench and developing tanks for films to the right.

He was the local stringer for the newspaper Expressen, and sent his pictures by this telephoto machine, one 18 x 24 print at a time. Each copy took at least 5 minutes to send.

Bengt W was a very professional man who kept everything in order. This is his day room and office. Note the scale weight; in those days large consignments of pictures were sent by mail and the letters and parcels were stamped by weight.

This was 1987. Today everything is different. Today a photographer can run his business and picture production from a small computer like this. And he can bring it with him where he goes. Call it developement. From the good old days to the modern times.

Last edited by Sigve; February 19th, 2015, 12:07.
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

• Very impressive documentary pictures. 1987 is not too far away, but you pictures show a totally different era.

Comment

• Utterly marvellous Sigve. What an amazing and organised guy, even by the standards of those days. And as Tommi says it isn't really all that long ago…

Comment

• Thank you both of you for your friendly comments. As far as I can understand from FB and other internet sources, Bengt Weilert (now 86) is still alive and well. But he has retreated from the everyday life, is playing golf and has donated his material to a local archive.
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

• I hope the local archive will preserve it as a museum work shop. This is a great comparison between analog and digital!
                Am i right, when i assume that this way of working properly is reflected in his photos? Might that today get lost by increasing possibilities of "playing around"?
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
                  Sigve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have not seen much of his pictures, before-internet as he was. But if you google him, you will find a few. But he was recognized as a very competent and hardworking man of his craft.

• Tommi
                  Tommi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think that professionals of today plays around so much, but the way to work has changed.
                  In those days I would guess that you took 24 pictures on a assignment, copied 6 of them and used 2. Today you might take 100 pictures, edit 20 and use 10. The craftmanship was the gift to be able to take just the right 24 pictures, because the cost and amount of work was so much greater back then.

• An impressive series of photographs portraying an incredibly extensive set-up. It would be good if the museum were able to set much of it out as it was when in use, but that, of course, would depend on available space. Many thanks for this very interesting reportage, Sigve.
                Ralf said:
                Might that today get lost by increasing possibilities of "playing around"?
                I immediately thought of something I had read recently in a little "freebie" local booklet issued bi-monthly. It was a piece showing a photo by a member of the Camera Club, where she described her method. I copy it verbatim:
                "I used a Nikon 7100 and Sigma 10mm-20mm wide angle lens. I shot at 10mm, f8 using the HDR technique. This involves taking 5 exposures at different shutter speeds giving you a range of images from under exposed to over exposed. The 5 images are then merged together in HDR software. I use Photomatix Pro 4.2. Then I took this image into Photoshop and made some lens adjustments and cropped the photo and finally did some fine tuning using the Nik Collection software."
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Trondheim March 12, 2015:

It's something about dimensions and proportions. This mornings webcam photo from Trondheim. Both ships have their followers, and the smallest ship has not necessarily the smallest following...
                  PS: The biggest one is Nordnorge.

(Webshot from Trondheim Harbour Authority).
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• April18, 2015:

Inspired by the fine spring day, I made myself a summer dish of strawberries, blueberries, a dash of icing sugar and milk and enjoyed it on my terrace. Summer, come on!

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely scrumptious, Sigve. And all from Norway, yes? I can easily understand how Scandinavians look forward to summer so intensely, despite the fact I prefer winter over any other season. But that's Oz...

• Sigve
                      Sigve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh no, the strawberries are from EU, and so are the oversized american blueberries. But it was good! Later in the summer, july and august, we will have the berries right from the fields......

• April 29, 2015:

Britannia approaches Flåm in the early morning light:

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• April 29, 2015:

Report on MV Britannia in Flåm – 1)

Britannia on the Sognefjorden, approaching Flåm, on her first norwegian cruise.

Britannia quietly enters the harbour in the morning light.

The Classic Flåm picture 1): The big ship and the small boats in the marina.

The Classic Flåm picture 2): Britannia, filling up the harbour

All P&O ships, it was said, are now going to have Union Jack on their nose.

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• April 29, 2015:

Report on MV Britannia in Flåm – 2)

We are received by Captain Pembridge who points out directions to local harbour captain Johnsen.

In Brodies Pub you can choose between 74 different kinds of beer.

Money can be won – and lost.

The Crystal Room is one of the many silent lounges.

There are many small restaurant on board where popular TV-cooks frequently do the cooking.

Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

• April 29, 2015:

Report on MV Britannia in Flåm – 3)

Now imagine one of our gallant ladies; naripalmer, Seagull or wherrygirl, descending this staircase in evening dress, with ladies gloves, diamonds and perhaps a little tiara, and to everybodys attention; that would have been something! This is the Grand Atrium, the central room in the ship.

A bath? Not with snow on the tops.

For football, handball, tennis, basketball, volleyball or whatever.

Some charthouse! Whole digital. But I don’t understand for what use they have this anacronism paper cutter standing in the foreground! Maybe the world isn’t totally digital after all?

Free view for the Captain. The bridge windows are beeing cleaned.

Passengers queing up for the Flåm Mountain Railway.

Regards; Sigve.
                          ---

Comment

• Great photos Sigve - and so lucky to get the visit. Whilst I share some of the 'too big' views, it is good to see the investment in the industry which hopefully will continue for a while yet. I quite like the flag on the front too - we're not as good as the Norwegians at flying the flag, P&O have certainly sought to redress that!
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X