Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 28, 2014:

Speaking of Bakka (3), Nærøyfjorden; here is a selection of other bypassers;

Tourist and car ferry Svanøy, July 2012:

Cruise ship Athena (ex Stockholm, ex Vôlkerfreundschaft etc., now Azores), June 2005:

Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• December 29, 2014:

Speaking of Bakka (4), Nærøyfjorden; here is a last bypasser;

Cruise ship Seven Seasa Voyager, July 2010:

Bakka is one of my favorite spots, this is where Nærøyfjorden is at its narrowest, and then you have the tiny church as a contrasting element in the pictures. I will return here many times,also when the weather and conditions are less than ideal.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

• An X-tra today for train aficionados:

Eastbound regional train Bergen - Oslo approaching Ål station in the dusk afternoon light. Overcast and minus 12 degrees Celsius. Today, December 28.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

• Brilliant shots from a great variety of subjects.

I must admit, I do like that train image!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sigve
            Sigve commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your friendly comment.
            Vielen Dank für Dein freundlichen Kommentar.
            Merci pour votre commentaire sympathique.
            Dank u voor uw vriendelijke reactie.
            Gracias por tu comentario amistoso usted.
            Grazie per il tuo commento amichevole.
            Lorem vobis comment amicus.

• December 30, 2014:

Richard With is one of my favourite ships. I have travelled many times with her. Nordlys is another. And so is Polarlys. And Finnmarken, and……... you name them!
          Here is Richard With approaching to dock in Molde. June 2011.

Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

• December 31, 2014:

Early one morning southbound Nordkapp leaves Florø and sails right into the rainbow. October 2000.

And no, this isn’t Photoshop. This is the real thing. (You'll find the original transparency in Samfoto's files...)

(Nikon, Fuji Velvia film)

And with this picture, I end my one year long journey through my maritime pictures. For me, a picture of a ship is interesting only when there is something more; it must be some sort of a setting; a harbour, landscape, environment, light, a situation. In my earlier years, I went to great lengths to get the pictures I had in my head. I can recommend Solund as a wonderful place for those who are interested. The Norwegian coast south of Trondheim is – to me – very interesting and full of opportunities for good pictures. (But the rest isn’t bad, either…)

The pictures you have seen here, are a pick of my best. I will continue to post pictures in this gallery, but only when there is something new to post. So there will be no regularity. And the pictures will not necessarily be maritime.

I thank my true followers for your friendly and inspiring comments. A special thanks to Seagull, who inspired me. To Ralf, Tommi, Janihudi and Yvneac, they have been my most regular commentators. And to Pakarang, whose spirit hovers over all of us. To be seen and commented has been very important to keep up the pace. Thanks to all of you! I hope you enjoyed it.

May 2015 become a good year for all of us CV members.
            Last edited by Sigve; December 31st, 2014, 16:22.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• Thank you Sigve for sharing all fine images and also sharing some interesting information about photography and Norway.

Comment

• Sigve
                Sigve commented
                Editing a comment
                Tack för alla dina vänliga kommentarer och gott nytt år!
                (Thank You for all your friendly comments and a Happy New Year!)

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh Sigve, I’m really touched by that mention there. Thank you so very much for an enjoyable, beautiful, informative and special year.

• Lovely ending to the year Sigve. Rather sad that there isn't another year of these to look forward to!
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Sigve,it appears you've not a right knowledge of the CVF rules.You ARE NOT ALLOWED to stop posting on this thread before WE (all CVF members) decide you may!!!!

Seriously,thank you very much for your photos all along this past year.It was my grain of Norway, a delightful ritual.

Comment

• Sigve
                  Sigve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for your friendly comment.
                  Vielen Dank für Dein freundlichen Kommentar.
                  Merci pour votre commentaire sympathique.
                  Dank u voor uw vriendelijke reactie.
                  Gracias por tu comentario amistoso usted.
                  Grazie per il tuo commento amichevole.
                  Lorem vobis comment amicus.

Thank you, yvneac, and may the 2015 be a good year to us!

• For Seagull and naripalmer:

January 2, 2015:

Since this forum now has turned literary, not to say poetic, I take the liberty to post another haiku here in my own gallery. It came to me when I was browsing my pictures this evening. I'm sorry that it isn't so good as I wanted it to be, but nevertheless it's a haiku.

For the seagull
                the sky is always blue over
                the evergreen
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good one Sigve

• Winter haiku

January 3, 2015:

Usually I take a selfie when out skiing and post it on my Facebook wall. But today my ski-mate Berit tok this mobile photo of Yours truly, in the very moment when he (I) was composing a ski haiku in his (my) head. It goes like this:

Cold snow grains sparkle
                in the low sun soft is the sound
                of my gliding skis

Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

• Thank you for this wonderful thread, Sigve. Of course we all hope for more of your pictures and it is good to see that they're coming. You have the exiting talent to tell a story with your pictures, so my thoughts immediately start to make a short journey. Let us all together have a great 2015!
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
                    Sigve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, Ralf, and same to you....

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Sigve. I am glad you have taken up haikuing in your posts. It is a different, and often unique way of expressing simple word pictures.

• January 10, 2015:

After a heavy snowfall, and with the hurricane Nina on her way, I took these pictures this afternoon of the Oslo – Bergen train, underway to Bergen and with heavy weather over Hardangervidda ahead. The EL 18 is so heavy and so strong that they cut their way through whatever snow there is. The train just arrived Bergen 34 minutes delayed. (PS: In heavy weather, the tracks are usually cleaned by a rotating snoplow ahead of the train over Hardangervidda)

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful photos Sigve.Very dynamic.I guess you had your snow shower when you shot.....

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wish I had been back on that train!! Thanks Sigve.

• The Torvik Cat

I’m so happy that I met The Torvik Cat once. This was in 1999, April 13 to be exact, just a few days before he passed away.

The Torvik Cat was famous in the lane. He lived in the Torvik Cargo Terminal for 18-20 years. Nobody knows exactly. There he was fed by the HR crews. Every time the HR called in Torvik, day or night, the cat was fed. They carried ashore seasickness trays full of red meat, steaks, grilled salmon, reindeer pathe and other delicacies they had at hand. It has been said that the terminal workers often envied the cat, they had themselves only the traditional norwegian lunch bag; two pieces of bread, one with brown cheese, and the other with yellow cheese.

It was especially the MIdnatsol crew (later Lyngen, now NG Explorer) who cared for him. And when I met him, I traveled with Midnatsol.

(The Torvik Cat, having an early lunch at 1100 o'clock, fed by northbound Midnatsol)

In return, he kept the terminal free of mice and rats.

But then, in April 1999, just a few days after my call, something happened. I don’t know what, but the Cat passed away.

This caused of course sorrow in the HRG fleet. The news were communicated to every ship by telefax. And the day after there came a telefax back, from Lofoten, with a special composed hymn, lamenting the cats passing.

After I met him (or her, I don’t know), I was not aware of his passing away until some years later, when I visited the terminal (to take pictures…). I went into the waiting room, which of course was dark, the lamps didn’t work, there was no heat, no water, no toilet paper (in the outskirts of Norway we don’t need such luxuries anyway).

(The first verse states that Lofotens bridge officer didn't want to dock the ship until the Cat had appeared on the quay..)

But on the walls there were two boards, telling the sad story of the cats passing. Exactly what happened, nobody knows.
                  Today the waiting room is shut down, and the terminal will soon follow. Only the memories remain of this humble, but proud, creature, who never skipped his duties for one single day, it has been said.
                  Last edited by Sigve; January 11th, 2015, 21:39.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Having a deep affection for cats I love this story.

• What a touching story of an animal that found its way into seamen's hearts. It reminds me of the story of Red Dog of the Pilbara that spent years searching for its master, becoming well known and loved by people over a wide area.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am a devoted cat person and have always lived with cats. The value placed on the Torvik cat by the crews of the ships is very heart warming.
                    Ivy, I recently read the story of the Red Dog. What a noble beast.

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I love cats, too, though I don't have one now - I just try to make friends with those "passing through" the garden. Louis de Bernières, the author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin, lives not far from here and he wrote Red Dog in 2001, of which I have an autographed copy. But he mentions two other writers - Nancy Gillespie and Beverley Duckett - and I'm sure there will have been others.
                Working...
                X