No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes, now that is what I call a cruise terminal! - what marvellous viewpoints and photo opportunities. Albatros looks so splendid there.
    Must also pick out photo #499/2 of the Queen docked - a particularly striking composition with the balancing combined area of small boats almost acting like a secondary 'reflection' of the ship.

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      To Seagull and Ralf:

Thank you for your friendly comment.
      Vielen Dank für Ihren freundlichen Kommentar.
      Tack för din vänliga kommentar.
      Merci pour votre commentaire sympathique.
      Dank u voor uw vriendelijke reactie.
      Gracias por tu comentario amistoso usted.
      Grazie per il tuo commento amichevole.
      Lorem vobis comment amicus.
      (With some help from Google Translate)

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't trust Google tranlator too much. In my cases it produces funny solutions in Czech languages. All my colleagues are laughing and in school lessons i mostly fail with the answers. In my case i appreciate highly if you would use the friendly "Du, Dir, Dich, Dein" instead of the formal "Sie, Ihnen, Ihnen, Ihr". In English it is all the same, but we make a difference, and as we are friends, calling each other Sigve and Ralf, so it is the friendly You: "Du".

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Ralf. Point taken.

November 26, 2014:

To Yvneac - todays Extra.

Thank you for your interest, Yvneac.

Samfoto was started in 1976 by socially and politically (some would say leftist) conscentious photographers. It was a photographers group, run by the photographers themselves, like swedish MIRA and Tio-foto, finnish Gorilla and danish Billedhuset 2 Maj. And like Magnum, of course, who was the great model.
    New photographers had to be voted in after presenting their work, and there had to be some sort of a profile in their work, not only good pictures. If you had pictures with a social profile, the better. For my own part, I was voted in because of my interest for transport related, and especially maritime images, which was scarce represented in the files at that time.

In those years, there was a market for photo journalism and the sale of pictures. There were pictures agencies everywhere. The business was very good until about 2009, when the financial crisis (and the new digital media) made a revolution in the way media and publishers aquired pictures. Now everybody could supply pictures almost for free, if they had a digital camera or a cellphone – and everybody had. Royalty free pictures flowed over us. So why pay dearly for pictures from an agency?

The profile also had changed, now Samfoto was more an agency focused on pictures of nature and landscape, and the social profile was weakening when I was voted in in 2000.

The sales dropped heavily from 2009, and the agency faced «death and destruction". To survive at all, Samfoto joined NTB/Scanpix in 2012, and is now an integrated part of Scanpix, but with our own name, brand and tag. And the sales are rising.

The old website (www.samfoto.no - sorry doesn't work) contained much information, among other things a members list, but was closed in 2012 and is not to be found anymore. Now there is not much information to find about the old Samfoto.
    You can, however, try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samfoto

Todays Samfoto, you find here:

http://scanpix.no/spWebApp/search.ac...b30jTdS2gVlFtn

Last edited by Sigve; November 26th, 2014, 22:18.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Tommi. When I try to open your link, I'm just finding a calendar and a message "Can't find the server". If you have found something interesting, can you post a screenprint?

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your informations and for the links Sigve.

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      Sigve, choose a year in the top of the calendar, then choose one day marked with a blue circle. You then should be able to view some parts of an archived version of that site as it looked on that day.

November 27, 2014:

On that June day 2012, there were two queens in Flåm:

The Queen Elizabeth is distinguished by an extra deck up front of her superstructure (well, I wouldn’t exactly say distinguished…)

Regards; Sigve.
    ---

Comment

November 27, 2014:

For some reason, I have made a double entry for November 27. Therefore here is an X-tra posting for today:
      ---
      And here is the old girl herself, Queen Elizabeth II, in Flåm, July 2001:

(As you can see from the smoke, she was a "stinker", which produced a thick lid of smoke over the harbour during a day at the quay. I have other pictures which will show that better, but they are not digitalized. Yet. Another great pollutor was Maxim Gorkij).

(Fuji Velvia film)
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

November 28, 2014:

Nordkapp, Lågøyfjorden, Solund, in the background the island of Alden, also called The Norwegian Horse (the form of the island resembles the back of an old mare).

(September 1998. Nikon/Fuji Velvia film).
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

November 29, 2014:

Lofoten, docked at Brønnøysund, southbound.

(June 1998, Nikon/Fuji Velvia film.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

Todays X-tra:

As I said in the Nov 27 post,( Queen Elizabeth II in Flåm), the old girl was a big polluter. After one day in Flåm, there was a thick lid of exhaust covering the tiny village, as you can see from this picture, which was taken early in the day. July 2001.

Her smoke emission was, however, matched by the tourist ferry Skagastøl, as you can see appearing to the left. Uneven in size, but equal in pollution...
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

November 30, 2014:

Approaching Bodø, from the bridge of northbound Nordlys we can see Fugløya, a landmark.

(June 1998, Nikon/Fuji Velvia film).
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

December 1, 2014:

Polarlys into the narrow Rangsundet, passing the old trade post Rangsundøy. Ahead you can see Lurøy. Rødøy, Nordland. July 1997.

(Nikon/Fuji Velvia film)
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

Impressing picture in #502. This could used as cover for a broshure showing the danger of touristic invasions. Frightening, but somehow the fate of Geiranger.
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
                    Sigve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ich danke dich für dein freundlichen Kommentar. (Correct now?). Yes, both Geiranger and Flåm have problems with smoke emissions. There are much talking about shore electricity to the docked ships, but nothing has happened so far. It's a very expensive affair.

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very difficult when ships are swinging at a single anchor, as they frequently are in both places.

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very correct is "Ich danke Dir für Deinen freundlichen Kommentar." But don't struggle with German grammar. It is very complicated... well i thought, until i began to learn the Czech language... even worse.
                    Hamburg is very hard working to get all the cruise ships to shore electricity. Big city, more people claiming, stronger lobby. And the port is ahore a river, so easier to handle.

December 2, 2014:

Nordnorge, docked at Torvik, in a heavy spring snowfall. March 1998.

(Nikon/Fuji Provia film)
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...and tomorrow morning she will be docked at - Landskrona!

• Sigve
                    Sigve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, you are right:
                    Her Facebook status as of November 30:
                    "MS Nordnorge: Soon ready for departure to Landskrona, Sweden - Öresund shipyards for maintenance.
                    Next departure from Bergen is 22th December."

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    She will actually spend some days there together with Finnmarken, which seems to be scheduled to departure Landskrona on friday.

Todays Xtra is to celebrate Nordnorge and Finnmarkens annual overhaul at Landskrona:

View from Finnmarkens webcam:

View from Nordnorges webcam:

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

Does someone have an impression, how much fuel consumption is needed for a 2.000 km trip Bergen - Landskrona - Bergen? This cost must be added to the shipyard's invoice. Hard to believe, that this sum can't be beaten by a Norwegian shipyard. Don't understand me wrong, i truely believe they are all doing great jobs, but i am asking for environmental reasons. I don't drive my car to Munich for maintenance.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There is also the question of other costs, like crew wages, insurance and administrative cost, not to mention loss of revenue, during the idle period.
                      The availability and efficiency of the yards are therefore just as important as the fuel cost for the voyage to/from Bergen.
                      If the Swedish or Danish yards can do the job a day or two quicker the fuel cost is not that important.
                      One special thing with Hurtigruten is that the ships have to fit back in their slot, so timing is crucial. (One day early; wait your turn. One day late, wait for the next available slot)

• Ralf__
                      Ralf__ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good point, Ombugge. I did not think about that. But you're right for sure!

• Tommi
                      Tommi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good points there.
                      I have the feeling that the number of shipyards is constantly decreasing in Europe. This lowers the number of possible free drydocks. Different yards also can have different capabilities for different kinds of jobs.

December 3, 2014:

Good old Nordstjernen entering the harbour of Molde.

(April 2006)
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• Tommi
                      Tommi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is that a morning sunlight we see?

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We are looking SE, so it's more likely afternoon/early evening sunlight. Doesn't the north bound Hurtigrute reach Molde around 1800 hrs. in April??

• Sigve
                      Sigve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, ombugge is right, about 1800 hrs.

December 4, 2014:

Kjell Magne Bondevik, former prime minister of Norway, from Molde, is an avid Molde FK supporter. Here his statue outside Rica Seilet Hotel in Molde is dressed up with MFK’s colours. June 2011.

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Me like!!!
                  Working...
                  X