No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again such great interconnections here in the Sigve Gallery with other threads, though perhaps more obviously so if I could catch up with myself! As will become apparent, Azores had visited Edinburgh on the 12th of August, but unfortunately at inaccessible Rosyth, tantalisingly just a little too early for me to reach Queensferry to watch her pass the bridges, and with a departure at midnight the following day. So it's wonderful for me to see her on the Ålesund webcam along with glimpses of her past.

The further connection is that this is the ship that has been chartered from Portuscale Cruises by CMV to replace Discovery for the 2015 season, and that has been much in my mind during Discovery’'s recent calls here. So yes, as is apparent from this fascinating history, old lady Discovery is actually to be replaced by an even older lady!

Comment

• August 22, 2014:

M/S Brannsprøyta

On this webcam picture from Ålesund havn, I recently saw a familiar sight; the good old Brannsprøyta cascading water. And on the next picture, she saluted goodbye to the leaving cruise ship Emerald Princess.

I can remember Brannsprøyta from my own days in Ålesund. She was the citys proud fireship. Now she is a pensioneer, a veteran ship, in the care of the volunteer organisation Brannsprøytas Venner.

“MS Brannsprøyta is a seagoing fire engine built by AM Liaaen Mek. Verft in Ålesund in 1952, as build number 87 and has a hull made of steel. The rays from the water pumps can reach 90 meters, and can splash out 6,000 litres of water per minute. A few days after the vessel was delivered to the fire department, Brannsprøyta went into action and served the city for over 40 years.
      In these years, the vessel has been in action at 46 landbased fires, 16 fires outside Ålesund municipality, 17 ship fires and 4 fires on leisure crafts. Brannsprøyta formally terminated from her job in 1996, and is now mostly used for special occasions and greeting visiting cruise ships. She is now protected by Riksantikvaren.” (Info: Brannsprøytas Venner).

Greeting cruise ships she has done all her career, in these two last pictures she greets the french cruise liner General Mangin, when she visited Ålesund August 9, 1966.

Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• August 23, 2014:

Nordstjernen on her 50th anniversary cruise, with the tourist ferry Fanaraaken, in Gudvangen, June 4, 2006:

(Canon digital photo)

Todays X-tra:

If you permit;

And now, off to Denmark; a weeks vacation in a summer house in Sæby, Vendsyssel, Northern Jutland, just south of Frederikshavn, a region where I have spent much vacation time through the years, and where I often return. With friends. Bringing bicykles, of course. And this thread will take a break for a week.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

• Oistein
          Oistein commented
          Editing a comment
          May you have a wonderful holiday.

• A fantastic mix of history and current vessel in this thread makes it a rather superb thread!

Thank you for sharing these images - looking at the "classical" ships makes me really miss those years when they were quite common. Nowadays, all seems to be generic the same, aka Vista-class and so on.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• August 24, 2014:

Good Bye, Norway, Denmark calling with Superspeed II:

(Sony digital photo)
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

• August 25, 2014:

There are many temptations onboard the Superspeed 2….

Well, not all of them are temptations, if you ask me…

(Sony Digital photo)
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• August 26, 2014:

Stena Danica entering the harbour of Frederikshavn, Denmark, seen from Bangsbo Fort:

(Sony digital photo)
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

• August 27, 2014:

Superspeed 2 arriving Hirtshals:

Superspeed 1 leaving Hirtshals, turning in the narrow harbour, in the background Smyril Line’s Norrøna:

(Sony digital photo)
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

• August 28, 2014:

Superspeed 2, Hirtshals: Pakarang view:

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• August 29, 2014:

Danish skyscapes.

For a person living in a narrow valley it's nice to get to Denmark where the sky is wide and the clouds are hefty. From Sæby, Northern Jutland, Denmark.

(Sony digital photo)
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• August 30, 2014:

Danish skyscapes:

Sunset in the Vesterhavet, seen from Kandestederne, south of Skagen, Northern Jutland, Denmark.

(Sony digital photo)
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• August 31, 2014:

Danish delicacy:

Blacksmiths plate; herring, frikadelle (?) from fish, camenbert cheese and sparklers (fried plaice). I’m sorry about my inadequate gastronomic vocabulary.

(Sony digital photo)
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

• September 1, 2014:

While we are in Denmark; Larvik Lines Peter Wessel 1984 (ex Gotland/Wasa Star 1981, now Snav Toscana 2008) docked in Frederikshavn, august 29, 1990.

Last edited by Sigve; September 3rd, 2014, 07:54.
                          Regards; Sigve.
                          ---

Comment

• September 2, 2014:

Scottish piper, The Borders, June 1, 1985.

(Nikon photo, Kodak Tri-X film)
                            Regards; Sigve.
                            ---

Comment

• September 3, 2014:

A nice ship, MS Delphin, in Flåm. In the foreground the tourist ferry Gudvangen.
                              Delphin is one of my favorites, and proves that there also came something good out of the old Soviet Union.
                              She is now 40 years of age, and still a beauty. She is a regular visitor in norwegian fjords.

Her history:

Built 1974/75 and named Belorussiya. Hometown Odessa, Ukraina in the then Soviet Union. Originally built as a ro-pax ferry. Her sisters were Azerbaihzan, Gruziya, Kareliya and Kazakhstan.
                              1986: Car deck changed for cabins.
                              1993: Interior completely renovated and renewed.
                              1993: Named Kazakhstan II
                              1996: Delphin (registered in Malta).
                              Last edited by Sigve; September 3rd, 2014, 07:56.
                              Regards; Sigve.
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X