No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhhhh..... those images of the Black Prince is awesome! I remember that ship so very well. In my younger years I always thought she was an "less good-looking" ship, but now, I kind of feel she is truly beautiful in the way she is.

I know she was sold to South America (?) at the end of her FOCL career, but had lost track of what happened to her afterwards. Has she been scrapped?

I think this article on wikipedia might be out of date: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Ola_...lda_%281966%29

And thank you for sharing those great shots of the 50+ year old Lady - almost an incredible feat that she is still in active service today!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your nice comment. As far as I found out last time I wrote about her (February), she was sold to the scrappers in 2012 and is now most likely scrapped.

August 10, 2014:

Nordstjernen docking in Trondheim, Lofoten already docked. April 19, 2008.

(Canon digital photo).
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

August 11, 2014:

Finnmarken, docking in Harstad, October 2, 2013 on my autumn cruise Molde – Harstad – Molde.

(Canon EOS 6D digital photo)
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

August 12, 2014:

MS Prinsendam in Invergordon, Scotland, July 2008.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

August 13, 2014

The five Smyrils

Smyril (I)

Smyril I was built in the 1890s and began as a smaller transport boat in Tvøroyri in the Faroe islands.

(To be continued)
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

August 14, 2014:

(The five Smyrils - continued)

Smyril (II)

Smyril II was built in Frederikshavn in Denmark in 1931, arriving in the Faroe Islands in 1932. It was much more modern than the first Smyril, it had a large saloon with sofas, and it even had a small saloon for smokers. The ferry was welcomed with song and music on the harbour of torshavn. Two days after arrival, the ferry started to sail on route between the islands. It sailed from Tórshavn, the capital, to many villages, i.e. to the villages on the eastern side of cc to the villages on the eastern side of Sandoy and to several of the villages on the eastern side of Suðuroy, to the village Vestmanna, which is on the west coast of Streymoy and to Vágar island and sometimes also to smaller island like Mykines and Nólsoy. Smyril II also sailed to Klaksvík. Smyril I left the Faroe Islands on the same day as the new ferry started on her route, after sailing between the islands in 35 years.

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

August 15, 2014:

The five Smyrils - continued)

Smyril (III)

Smyril III was built in Tórshavn, at the shipyard Tórshavnar Skipasmiðja, in 1967. It was a modern fast-moving and seaworthy vessel. With the new Smyril the sailing time between Torshavn and Tvøroyri was reduced from four to three hours. Smyril III could accommodate 300 passengers, but with the changes that were made in the infrastructure in the Faroes in the 1970s, the need for a larger vessel, a real car-ferry, grew to cover the community’s requirements.

Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

August 16, 2014:

The five Smyrils - continued:

Smyril (IV)

Smyril IV was built in 1969 as MV Morten Mols for the Danish shipping company Mols-Linien and bought by Strandfaraskip Landsins in 1975. It began to show signs of wear against the strong Faroese elements in the mid 1990s and by 2003 it was facing extreme difficulties in sailing through the strong currents of the islands. It was eventually replaced and taken out of operation in October 2005 with Smyril V.

(Info Smyril I to IV: Wikipedia)

These paintings are made by faroese painter Pol Skardenni and can be seen onboard the fifth Smyril, the Smyril of today.
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

August 17, 2014:

The five Smyrils - continued.

Smyril (V)

(See also post #123)

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey, you forgot to paint an oil painting... ;-)

Sorry folks, double posting....

Smyril in heavy weather:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbueFXCsyD0
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Uuf: hold on, don't panic, don't throw up...

August 18, 2014

Where Smyrils lines resembles those of a private yacht, Norrøna more has the look of a battle cruiser. Torshavn July 11, 2008.

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's interesting to see the bow of Smyril, very long lines not too often seen in new ships.
                    Norröna's appareal reminds me of "the best of the 80's"-design.

Todays Extra:

Smyril (V):

This vessel was designed for Strandfaraskip Landsins, Faroe Islands, built by the IZAR Shipyard, San Fernando, Spain, and delivered in the autumn of 2005. She now serves the route between Thorshavn and the island of Suderø in the southern part of the Faroe Islands. The vessel was especially designed for this route, which is classified as open sea in the North Atlantic.

KNUD E. HANSEN A/S was in conjunction with the Ferry Shipping Conference 06 announced as the winner of the ShipPax Award in the category "Outstanding Ferry Exterior".

KNUD E. HANSEN A/S design M/S SMYRIL for Strandfaraskip Landsin won the prize with the following comments, "In an age of boxy-looking ferries created in the quest for ever greater efficiency and revenue earning potential, it comes as blessed relief to see the warm beauty of a handsome and functional vessel with smooth hull lines built to serve in an area known for harsh climate."

- See more at: http://www.knudehansen.com/reference....Mcg9syYj.dpuf
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• PoloUK
                    PoloUK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    She deserved her prize - rather a good looking ship, low and sleek.

August 19, 2014:

Ternan/Vipan.

This is the old M/S Ternan, a small passenger/car ferry on the Faroes. I haven’t managed to find information about her, except that she was built 1960. She must have had her time in the 20 years before 1980, when the new ferry MF Ternan was built. I believe she belonged to Strandfaraskip Landsins, a faroese company

In 2008 she was lying idle in Torshavn with a touch of decadence, now with the name Vipan painted on her hull. I don’t know if she was to be restored, or brushed up, or what. But his was how she looked.

(To be continued)
                  Last edited by Sigve; August 18th, 2014, 21:25.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

August 20, 2014:

Ternan/Vipan - continued:

Her anchor and hull color was what I liked best about her:

(Canon digitaL photo)
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

August 21, 2014:

Same old ship (!), new wrapping.

You would not believe that this is the same ship! But it is!

Not only is the Azores an old cruise ship, actually she is one of the very oldest, if not the oldest:

1948: Built as Stockholm (25.07.1956 collided with Andrea Doria outside New York and 52 people died).
                    1960: Völkerfreundschaft (DDR)

1985: Völker
                    1986: Fridtjov Nansen
                    (1992-93: Rebuilt)
                    1993: Italia I
                    1994: Italia Prima
                    1998: Valtur Prima
                    2002: Caribe
                    2005: Athena

(Athena, Nærøyfjorden, 2005).

2013: Azores, registered for a portuguese company

Calling in Ålesund, August 20, 2014; and she does not look bad at all. Charming old lady….
                    Last edited by Sigve; August 22nd, 2014, 07:02.
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Working...
                    X