• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that comment for Thijs or me?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Great thread, Sigve. Road Trains are located in Australia - the sign announces a truck with two or more trailers. They are not allowed in Western Europe, although there is a massive discussion about Jumbo Liners today. And i spotted a lot of small Road trains in Sweden this summer, mostly runned by DB Schenker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photobasti/10296053374/
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• wherrygirl
        wherrygirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Ralf, I tried so many times to photograph a road train in WA, my best effort can be seen at #172 in page 2 of my With Wherrygirl into the Outback thread. (Links can't be made to older threads since the "downgrade"). Sometimes they were signed Road Train, sometimes just "Over Size", as this one.

you don't have to look so far Ralf,overhere in Holland there a lot of them,TSI my employer have 3 of them.
      even in Germany is/was a company that can/could take 3 20ft containers,but only between the port of Travemunde and Hamburg.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

January 8, 2014

Winter parking:
        Where should I park my MC in winter? Steinar K knew what to do. He drained off all gasoline and oil, cleaned it, dried every speck of dust off the bike and brushed it until all paint and chrome were shining. Then he rolled it into his house and set it up in a corner of the living room. An unusual piece of furniture, yes. But as he said; why not? (PS: He was unmarried). (October 1995, Fuji negative film).

Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 08:34.
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---
        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Why not, it's probably the best place to show and store stuff you really love.

I love the PS in the above post.
        Ivy

Comment

And where did he put the tea-set?In the garage?

Comment

January 9, 2014

Summer pleasures.

Polarlys, Hustadvika, on a summer night, seen from Ergan Fort, Bud. Some would call this ****ography. I think this is better than ****.

(June 2009, Canon EOS 5D, 300 mm)
            Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 08:36.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

Just got to say WOW to this. The particular colour combination of the sea and the sky closest to it along the horizon seems unusual and very satisfying. For some subconscious reason I found myself thinking how it would look as paint colours on an old Norwegian house.

Comment

January 10, 2014

I live in Hallingdal, with Hardangervidda, Europe's highest mountain plateau, as my nearest neighbour. Here I go from time to time to take pictures. The conditions can be rough, the weather is often stormy and the road closed. The most dominant feature is the mountain Hallingskarvet, long and low.

In the first picture you see Hallingskarvet from the highest point on the road, appr. 1.200 m altitude.

Equally impressive is Hallingskarvet in the blue hour of dusk. When I took these pictures, it was 20 degrees cold (Celsius). Then you need warm clothing and hot coffee.

Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 08:38.
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

January 11, 2014:

Codfish epilogue: (This one is for Wherrigirl)

When cultivating fish, they do like this: when the fish is mature (?) (ripe?), they take it up and massages the belly. The she-fish will then give away her eggs, = rogn.

The he-fish will give away his soft = melke.

Out of this, they grow new fish. (This is the fish version of the bees and the flowers). There'’s nothing romantic about this involuntary *** life, it’s cold and brutal and man made.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• Sigve
                    Sigve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am so glad that this friendly forum safeguard our moral standards by not allowing immoral language ....

January 12, 2014:

FIRST CALL:

Kong Olav, fully dressed, calls at Ålesund on her maiden voyage, May 12, 1964. Her dark funnel had tre red rings, showing she belonged to Det Stavangerske Dampskipsselskap DSD (1964-1978). Later Vesteraalens Dampskipsselskap VDS (1978-1987) and Ofoten og Vesterålens Dampskipsselskap OVDS (1988-1997). She was the first ship in hurtigruten to have a bow thruster. At that time I was a young student, taking pictures for Sunnmørsposten in my spare time.

(1964, Edixa SLR, Tri-X film).
                  Last edited by Sigve; January 30th, 2014, 08:39.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

Wonderful trip back in time Sigve. That will keep us wallowing in nostalgia until you return

Comment

Thanks for the great pics. Sigve. And in particular for my "special". Yes, I knew of this, of course, but have never seen photos of it being done. Brutal, yes, more so than other forms of artificial insemination, but mankind was ever thus.
                      Ivy

Comment

January 13, 2014

Polarlys (II) approaching Ålesund, overtaken by the express boat Hjørungavaag. A symbolic picture? The old veteran overtaken by the dashing newcomer...?

(October 1990, Nikon, Kodak Tri-X film)).

Polarlys (II) approaching Ålesund.

(October 1990, Nikon, Fuji Velvia film).
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

The photos of Polaris approaching Ålesund take me back. Not because of that ship, but it was the year I sailed on the Kong Olav. Did you ever board her, Sigve?
                          Ivy

Comment

• Sigve
                            Sigve commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No, I just watched her from the dock. But the first ever hurtigrute I sailed with, was Kong Olav, Bergen - Ålesund, December 1969.
                        Working...
                        X