Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 23, 2014:

I found these pictures on the net.

They show good, old Gudvangen (1954), a ro/ro passenger ferry belonging to Fylkesbaatane i Sogn & Fjordane. Gudvangen was a popular tourist ferry, trafficking Aurlandsfjorden, Nærøyfjorden and other tourist destinations during the summer. A very special design, especially suited for ice breaking, there could at times be very thick ice on the arms of Sognefjorden.

Loaded beyond the last lane meter.

Gudvangen in Gudvangen, judging from the design of the coach in the early 60-ies.

(Old postcard)

Gudvangen steaming on the fjord, unknown date.

In 1980 she was sold, and in 1981 exported to Sweden, where she mainly was a restaurant ship in Stockholm and later Gøteborg. Scrapped 2006.
    I will return to her tragic end in a later post. These three pictures, very typical of their time, might be an excellent appetizer.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• May 24, 2014:

I received two good comments on my picture of Dyna Lighthouse (and Color Festival) recently, so here is another; Pearl of Scandinavia (now only Pearl, and with blue hull) passing, May 2004, photographed from Huk Beach, Bygdøy.

Dyna Lighthouse is a restaurant in the summer season, to be accessed by boat, and open for groups only, between 20 and 40 persons.

Regards; Sigve.
    ---

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      a nice restaurant,but don't make the cook angry,when he comes after you with a knife,there is nowhere to run.

• May 25, 2014:

Seascape; sunset with folks and dog, seen from Vestkapp, Stad. May 1995.

Regards; Sigve.
    ---

Comment

• very nice, like those silhouets
      best regards Thijs

Comment

• A lot of interesting images!

I found the picture of Gudvangen with that bus sticking out a bit funny: it almost looks like the ferry is going to spit that bus out!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• May 26, 2014:

This piece of manouvering is not for the fainthearted. It is normal that the northbound must back to the innermost position on the quay when arriving in Trondheim. But in the summer route she must as well back behind the souhtbound, which has arrived earlier. And there isn’t much space. This manouver really is a mates test.
          (PS: THis generation of ships do not have aft thrusters, only fore. But with "split rudders" they can achieve a thruster effect...)
          (PSS: If you want to know more about "split rudders", I think we must ask the Captain to explain it properly....)

Last edited by Sigve; May 25th, 2014, 22:01.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

• May 27, 2014:

Finnmarken approaching Oslo on her demonstration tour after handover to Hurtigruten (then OVDS) April 17, 2002. And the inevitable Dyna Lighthouse.

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• May 28, 2014:

This one is for Seagull, and I hope it will make up for her frustrations the other day. Discovery passing under Hardangerbrua. Today.

Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

• Awww, so kind Sigve, although initial frustrations completely vanished after I got the photo of Queen Victoria with the tug in the foreground, which I was super-pleased with.

Your view of Discovery is a truly outstanding image – perfect timing beneath the bridge, and wonderful light.
                (And with Patrick also having just posted one of when Discovery was recently in Ireland, I am having an excellent morning!)

Comment

• May 29, 2014:

For Seagull (continued).

Discovery in Eidfjord:

Discovery resided on the bay, and AIDAsol at the quay.

They were collecting the passengers before departure:

Nice ship, a bit oldfashioned (hasn't she had a brushup before this season, I imagine I can see yellow stains...):

And then, twenty minutes late (due to some passengers that didn’t show up in time) under the bridge:

Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• May 30, 2014:

And 30 minutes later came AIDAsol:

(Canon digital photo, May 2014)
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

• May 31, 2014:

Finnmarken, docking in Ålesund on her maiden voyage April 21, 2002.

(Nikon digital photo).
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• Brilliant image of Finnmarken - and on an auspicious day as well.

She certainly looked a whole lot better with that original funnel livery.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• June 1, 2014:

Finnmarken, northbound, passing Herøybrua; March 2003.

Regards; Sigve.
                          ---

Comment

• June 2, 2014:

Finnmarken, disembarking passengers in Geiranger. Funchal in the background. June 2007.

Regards; Sigve.
                            ---

Comment

Working...
                            X