Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 28, 2014:

Encounters with the Queen - continued

June 2007: Two days later, Queen Mary II called at Geiranger. And I was there. I followed the mountainside trail from Ørnesvingen viewpoint and photographed the QM2 when she passed the Seven Sisters waterfall. She filled up the fjord also here, yes.
    Afterwards, there were stories in the newspapers that she nearly ran aground when she turned on the narrow bay.

The natives didn’t care.

(Canon digital photo).
    Last edited by Sigve; March 28th, 2014, 08:05.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

March 29, 2014;

Meeting at dawn

Meeting northbound Nordlys in the lane, in Skatestraumen, south of Måløy, one early april morning 2011, seen from southbound Richard With.

(Canon digital photo)
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

stunning images of QM2 Sigve,and that colom of smoke at 166-2, hundreds meters up
        best regards Thijs

Comment

March 30, 2014;

Trollstigen – not for the fainthearted:

----

This one is an x-tra for Janihudi and all lovers of truck driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4glfWBdCEk

The driver of this DAF must be very coldblooded, You should go there with your MB, Janihudi!
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

March 31, 2014;

The cruise ship Dalmacija (1965) on a sunny afternoon, Valderøyfjorden, Ålesund, with the island Giske in the background, late summer of 1990.

(Fuji Velvia film, august 1990).

From www.ssmaritime.com: “The two delightful ships, MS Istra and Dalmacija became known as the “Great White Yachts” yet in reality they were small and extremely popular intimate ships. They were built in 1965 at the Brodogradiliste Uljanik ship yards in Rijeka Yugoslavia for the Yugoslavian Shipping Company, Jadrolinija Cruises.”

Dalmacija was a frequent visitor to Norwegian fjords. She was scrapped in Alang, India in 2009.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

nice video Sigve,and a nice road to drive at,but ae trucks allowed to drive there,don't look like a ''normal'' road from A to B.
              btw i have it a little easyer to drive there,i have a extra steering axle behind,that pushes the trailer end arround the corner,a little.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Great shots Sigve!

The images of the Queen "drawing crowds" is really beautiful! It still surprises me how many people this ship still draws wherever she sails... there is indeed a different aura about her.

The Finnmarken shots are very nice too - brings me back to memories of warm summer nights. Just the way we all, or the most of us, like it.

But, the last one is my favorite-....... Dalmajica.... one of the true classical cruisers that I have memories from during my childhood. Every year, she was a very frequent visitor to the Norwegian coast, and I still remember when she sailed passed Rørvik.... back then, I thought she was a GIGANTIC ship. Had you told me back then, that she would be a tiny ship by modern standards in 20-30 years, I would probably not have believed you. Pity she was eventually scrapped - but after all, we can't save them all.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

April 1, 2014:

Was she a Sinclair?

The scottish expedition force, led by captain Sinclair, was defeated at Kringen, near Otta in Gudbrandsdalen, in 1612. Many of the survivors and their families settled in Norway afterwards, some of them in the small valley of Skåbu.

Anne, my late wife, descended from Skåbu, and she liked to think she had some drops of scottish blood in her vains.
                  - Who knows, she said for fun, I might be a Sinclair, descending from the Earl of Caithness himself.

When we visited Scotland in 2008, we therefore went to see Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, or rather whats left of it, near the city of Wick on the top of Scotland. The ruins of this once so splendid castle, dramatically situated on a cliff in the sea and destroyed in 1690, is now under restoration. In the summer of 2008, it was surrounded by a carpet of cotton grass, which added a nice element to the pictures.

(Canon digital photo)

From their website:
                  «… Castle Sinclair Girnigoe - the only castle in Scotland to be listed by the World Monuments Fund. This once impregnable medieval / renaissance stronghold is now the most spectacular ruin in the North of Scotland and is the subject of a preservation programme by its owner, The Clan Sinclair Trust.»
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

April 2, 2014;

Dalmacija – an X-tra for the Captain. (See also post # 170)

(Nikon, 300 mm, Fuji Velvia film, August 1990).

---

This thread will now take a break for a few days while the author is on an ovale weekend to Copenhagen with friends (sailing DFDS, of course). The next update will come Sunday night (maybe).
                    In the meantime, enjoy this picture; the morning sun rising over Vanylvsgapet, Sunnmøre, seen from northbound Richard With, august 1997.

(Nikon, Fuji Velvia film, 1997)
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Impossible to say whether I like those two contrasting “castle and cotton grass” or the Dalmacija “extra” the most!
                      Enjoy your break, Sigve.

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The first 'castle and cotton grass' gets my vote.

• Sigve
                        Sigve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you, both of you, for your nice comments. This picture was taken of Yours truly in action while taking the #173/3 and 4 pictures.;

April 3, 2014;

Mariehamn revisited.

(For Tommi)

Some more memories from the summer of 1983 in Mariehamn, Åland:

Svea Corona:

Svea Corona, calling at Mariehamn, Åland, june 1983.
                      She was built 1975 in Nantes, together with Wellamo and Bore Star. They were beautiful ships,. called The French Sisters.

Wikipedia: "These ships started a new era in Baltic Sea ferry traffic, being larger than any previous ferries to have sailed in those waters. When all three sisters were complete it turned out there weren't enough passengers on the route to support three ships in around the year traffic. As an initial solution the Bore Star was chartered to Finnlines for winter seasons 1975-76 and 1976-77 while Svea Corona and Wellamo served the route as a two-ship operation. During the summer seasons an unusual schedule that allowed two daily departures from each port with three ships was adopted instead of the route's normal one daily departure per port -arrangement."

Svea Corona (1975) later was named Sundancer (1984) and finally Pegasus (same year). Scrapped 1995.
                      Bore Star (1975) later became Silja Star (1980) and Orient Express (1987), Wasa Queen (1992) plus some more names. Scrapped 2013. Wellamo (1975) has had a long career. She became Dana Gloria (1981), then Svea Corona (1984), then Dana Gloria again (1985), extended 1988, King of Scandinavia (1989), Color Viking (1994), and then Jupiter (1998). Sold 2008. She is still at work, sailing cruises in Asia.

Viking Sally (later Estonia):

Diana II

MS Bluefort is a car/passenger ferry owned by the Cayman Islands-based company Highclere, under conversion into an Accommodation and Repair Vessel thus also known as (ARV). She was built in 1979 by Meyer Werft, Papenburg, Germany as Diana II av Slite for Rederi AB Slite for use in Viking Line's traffic. She has also sailed under the names Diana II, Vironia, Mare Balticum, Meloodia and ARV 1. (Wikipedia).

Diana II and Ålandsfärjan (Dana Corona) to the right:

Last edited by Sigve; April 6th, 2014, 19:26.
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh my, those old ferry years!
                        I have traveled with both Svea Corona and Wellamo, of which the latest was more of a favorite due to the nicer livery of FÅA. I actually never quite liked the three sisters too much, they have such a odd exterior design, being almost unique.
                        Diana II was a very BIG favorite in the beginning of the '80's. I guess I liked the very easy and 80's design of her.
                        She was a product of the famous Swedish ship owner Carl Bertil Myrsten - commonly known as "the last real shipper", a man widely known for his honest style and great care for the employees.
                        Diana II and Viking Sally are actually "hull sisters", sharing the same underwater design, and if I recall correctly, also same machinery.

April 4,2014:

Minicruise to Copenhagen part I:

We went of course with DFDS, Pearl Seaways, from Oslo.

It was warm and sunny, and we enjoyed our refreshments on Deck 11, as so many others did:

Sailing out Oslofjorden,it was a beautiful evening at sea:

From our table in the buffet restaurant we had a nice view:

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And Pearl Seaways is the second last ship that Carl-Bertil Myrsten's shipping company took delivery of. She sailed as "Athena" between Stockholm and Mariehamn before the company went bankruptcy. "Athena" and her sister "Kalypso" stood model for the larger "Europa" that was taken over by Silja Line before delivery and renamed "Silja Europa". Great ships all of them, but Athena/Kalypso are clearly favorites.

April 5, 2014:

Minicruise to Copenhagen, part II:

A visit to Copenhagen is a all about flavours, vet as dry:

Cafe Nordens world famous strawberry tart with vanilla cream:

A pint of Tuborg and an Aalborger, icecold:

Roastbeef sandwich in Nyhavn:

Pineapple tart with ice:

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

April 6, 2014:

Minicruise to Copenhagen - part III:

If you get the impression that Copenhagen is only eating and drinking, that’s not quite correct; I’ve been to opera as well as concerts there. This time we visited the Thorvaldsens Museum, the famous sculptor (Bertel Thorvaldsen, 1770 – 1844) with works appearing in many european cities. This is his statue of King Christian IV, more than life size. (The museum, from 1848, is so old, it's a museum in itself).

And the day after that, a grey and wet homecoming:

And then we are updated.
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

That strawberry tart look absolutely mouth-watering!
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                          X