No announcement yet.

Sigve's Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Sigve, you bring us such quality material.
    The Viking 1 seems to be located in the southmost, "Solstad" quay in Kapellskär. Fennia is in the livery of Johnson Line, a shipping company perhaps more famous for it's freight traffic between Sweden and America.
    Last edited by Tommi; March 9th, 2014, 23:16.

Comment

March 10, 2014;

Baltic Sea midsummer - Fennia revisited - part II (See also post #37 and #133)

Thank you for your comments, Ralf, Tommi and Pakarang. This is the continuation from my previous post.

Fennia, turning, and Diana II in the harbour of Mariehamn.

Fennia and Diana II, docked.

Fennia leaving.

Fennia leaving, meeting Viking 1 in the harbour entrance.

Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Nice pictures.
        How come that you have both B/W and color images? Were you using two different cameras at the same occasion?

Comment

Always two cameras, when not on a job. On a job, it was mainly BW that mattered. And sometimes colour. Therefore; always two cameras. This was before the zoom lenses, so it could be a hard time switching between primes if you were not well equippped.
          Here is a picture of yours truly, pictured on the museum ship Pommern in Mariehamn, by my son, June 1983. You can see one of my two Nikon FM2's
          Last edited by Sigve; March 10th, 2014, 06:11.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

March 11, 2014;

The Royal Viking Sisters

The three Royal Viking sisters from 1971 - 1973 must have been a very successful creation. Over 40 years of age are they still sailing, and in good health. As far as I know, there is nothing to suggest that their time is up in the near future. They have all changed owners and names several times through their careers.

Royal Viking Sea (1973) is now sailing for Phoenix Reisen as Albatros (since 2004). Here photographed in Eidfjord May 2005.

The other two make up half of the Fred Olsen cruise fleet of four ships, Royal Viking Star (1971) carries today the traditional name Black Watch (since 1996) and Royal Viking Sky (1972) is the Bouddica (since 2005).
            All three are beautiful ships with style and elegant lines, and all three are frequent guests in the Norwegian fjords. The picture shows Black Watch in Flåm May 2012.

(Canon Digital Photo).
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

The Royal Viking ships are definitely amongst the most beautiful vessels still at sea and in service. The day they go to the scrappers will be a sad, sad day for everyone.

I strongly recommend anyone and everyone to try travel at these ships, at least once. There won't be ships like this built ever again.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This thread is still an unmissable browse, Sigve, even though I'm on holiday way across the world and my iPad needs recharging!

Comment

• Sigve
                  Sigve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Seagull, I hope you have a good time on your holiday. And stay tuned, I'll soon have a post or two for you!

March 12, 2014;

I'm out traveling today, and the only picture I find on my laptop to share is this nice autumn shot when Finnmarken passing De Syv Søstre in Alstadhaug last october. It was a nice day.

(Canon digital photo)
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

March 13, 2014;

For Seagull?

Something tells me that I should dedicate this picture to Seagull, or, at least, that she would be very interested to see it. Can anybody guess why? It was taken yesterday, on a reportage trip to Fusa, south of Bergen, where we sat at the ferry terminal and saw this little fishermans boat pass by with his big following. In the background we see the ferry Hattvik - Venjaneset approaching.

(Canon EOS 6D digital photo - 200 mm lens))
                  Last edited by Sigve; March 13th, 2014, 08:18.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Absolute YES!

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                  March 11, 2014;

The Royal Viking Sisters

Royal Viking Sea (1973) is now sailing for Phoenix Reisen as Albatros (since 2004). Here photographed in Eidfjord May 2005.
                  Albatros now is very popular in Germany, because she is now the star of a documentary serial called "Lust auf Meer". Here is a link to some "Making of"-clips:

http://www.ardmediathek.de/sendung/v...mentId=3583382
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
                    Sigve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mature star.....

March 14, 2014;

Two Stena's

On this photo taken November 1, 1988 in Frederikshavn, Denmark, you can see Stena Nordica (1973) and Stena Jutlandica (1983).
                  This Stena Nordica was originally the Peter Wessel from 1973, with the following career: Peter Wessel (1973), Zeeland (1984), Stena Nordica (1986), Marko Polo (1988 and still is). She was sold to Yugoslavia just some days after this picture was taken. She was registered in Croatia in 2005 and is still in traffic in the Adriatic (pictures on marinetraffic.com are showing a beautiful and well maintained ship).

(Nikon, Kodak Tri-X film)

Stena Jutlandica went between Gothenburg and Frederikshavn 1983 – 1996 and thereafter on different lines in the Channel. In 2005 she was named Pride of Telemark (Kystlink; Langesund – Strømstad and Langesund – Hirtshals). 11. September 2007 she had a fatal encounter with the breakwater in Hirtshals because of an inexperienced captain. Scrapped in Alang 2011.

From Søfartsstyrelsen marine accident report about the PoT accident:
                  «The causes that led to the contact with the foundation of the pier and succeeding ingress of water was the following:
                  - Lack of experience of the master as far as entering Hirtshals harbour is concerned (6.1).
                  - Nye Kystlink AS appointed a master on the route from Langesund to Hirtshals without sufficient induction training (6.1)
                  - Misjudgment of the current and the drift of the ship. (6.2)
                  - Navigational error. (6.2)»
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

March 15, 2014:

Finnmarken 1956 – 1993 VDS/OVDS

Build number 788 at Werft Blohm & Voss i Hamburg, Tyskland.
                    Her career was uninterrupted except for maintenance.
                    Now preserved (in a way) at Hurtigrutemuseet, Stokmarknes.

(Another old company postcard).
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

March 16, 2014;

In August 1995, the Leningrad Cowboys came to Hemsedal and gave a show at the Fjellrokken festival. Good music from this spectacular bunch of finnish/american rockers. Great fun!

Wikipedia says:
                      The Leningrad Cowboys is a Finnish rock band famous for humorously performing rock and roll covers of popular songs, exaggerated pompadour hairstyles, long, pointy shoes, often featuring a Russian military band, the Alexandrov Ensemble.
                      The band was an invention of the Finnish film director Aki Kaurismäki, Sakke Järvenpää and Mato Valtonen, members of the Finnish pop-punk band Sleepy Sleepers. The band was conceived in a bar in 1986 as a joke on the waning power of the Soviet Union. Jarvenpää and Valtonen expressed their wishes that Kaurismäki would direct their first music video, which resulted in the short film "Rocky VI" (1986). After two further short films, "Thru the Wire" (1987) and "L.A. Woman" (1988), Kaurismäki decided to direct a feature film about them, Leningrad Cowboys Go America (1989). In these films they are joined by Nicky Tesco, founding member of the UK punk rock band The Members.

Currently, the band has 11 Cowboys and two Leningrad Ladies. The songs, all somewhat influenced by polka and progressive rock, are performed in English and have themes such as vodka, tractors, rockets, and Genghis Khan, as well as folkloric Russian songs, rock and roll ballads and covers from bands as diverse as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Modern Talking, and Lynyrd Skynyrd, all presented with lots of humour. (Wikipedia).
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

Nice hair style. Always tailwind,
                        Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

March 17, 2014;

Dana Corona in Mariehamn, Åland, june 1983, on charter to SF Line as Ålandsfärjan.

Dana Corona was one of a series of four beautiful sisters, built 1969 as Ålborghus. The others were Trekronor, Prinsesse Margrethe and Kong Olav V.

It’s a bit hard to understand: She was built as Ålborghus in 1969, in 71 named Dana Sirena. In 1979 she changed name to Dana Corona (sold to China in 1985, scrapped sometime after 2003).
                          Trekronor, built 1970, was in 1971 named Dana Corona, in 1979 switched name to Dana Sirena. Sold 1983 to Saudi Arabia, scrapped in 2000.

So the Dana Sirena was Dana Corona, and Dana Corona was Dana Sirena. They were almost twins, so it’s hard to understand why. Both trafficed the Mediteranean, and went cruising.

Kong Olav V and Prinsesse Margrethe (both 1968 to 1983/84) went in the Oslo – Copenhagen route. They were beautiful ships, but with to small cabin capacity, so a cabin section was built behind, which ruined their look.
                          Regards; Sigve.
                          ---

Comment

Working...
                          X