Pro pictures from around the world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro pictures from around the world

I came across this Photographer's website by accident but didn't know where to put it.
    It could fit under The World, but since this one mention PRO Photographers I decided to create a new thread here, where any legally obtainable professional images of interest, or links to professional photographic sites of any kind, can be placed. There are already a number of such links, with various topics, under different threads.

I found this series of pictures form around the world quite interesting and I would think the quality meet all photographic requirements:
    http://www.davorrostuhar.com/photos-world/

I especially liked the once from West Papua and PNG, since that is kind of "my part of the world".
    It is mentioned that the Dani people stopped tribal fighting abt. 40 years ago. I doesn't say that the last eating of human flesh is also reported to have occurred around then.

There is also a picture from Papua New Guinea of a women breast feeding a piglet, which used to be quite common. Pigs were used for barter trading in place of money by many tribes. The price for a pretty bride in Samarai could go as high as 12-15 pigs.
    One of the most sold postcards in PNG back in my days (lete 1960s/early1970s) was of a women with a baby on one breast and a piglet on the other.

Plenty of goodies here. But I ran out of breath reading his schedule.....
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

I'd like to point to Statens Vegvesen's site Nasjonal Turistveg/National Tourist Route:
      Here You find high quality photos from exclusive architectural viewpoints along a selection of scenic norwegian roads. The link goes to the English language site.
      As an appetizer I enclose a fresh picture from the winterly viewpoint of Trollstigen.
      You also find them on Facebook which is the easisest way to view the pictures.

National Tourist Routes as an attraction is a development project carried out by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration commissioned by the Storting and the Government. It includes 18 selected rout
      Last edited by Sigve; November 21st, 2013, 14:42. Reason: Spelling
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
        Plenty of goodies here. But I ran out of breath reading his schedule.....
        Me too, Sigve. But what images. And so well presented on the page with easily accessed info. about their content. What an eye-opener those images are to what goes on elsewhere, confirming what we had perhaps already read about but had not actually "seen", and also showing things of which we knew nothing. Superb photographer.
        And the Norwegian photos are, well, all I can say is that they are just beautiful. I immediately recognised what I now call Sterkie's bridge, the Storseisund, one of the photos Svein showed in his thread of the Atlantic Road.
        This is a great new thread, Ombugge. Many thanks to you and Sigve for your starting posts. The trouble is - if I'm not careful I shall be sitting here all day, oblivious to everything else I should be doing.

PS If I scroll through the first collection long enough. will I find a clue to the current puzzle pic. in What Place is This?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you Ombugge,thank you Sigve for the links.

Comment

I will also recommend the site of Jim Brandenburg, american photographer of scandinavian descent, living in Minnesota, where he has a marvellous property – Ravenwood – out in the great woods. (On his blog, there is a link to Ravenwood, and you ought to see it!) He has his own gallery (galleries?), has done numerous National Geographic Magazine stories, and is renowned because of his pictures of wolves.

Some years back, he was exhausted – he hit the wall – by all demands that were made of him. He therefore took three months off. In this period, he lived in his home, spent every day in the wilderness, and limited himself to take only one exposure (1 click) a day! The result was the "Chased by the light" project; a great picture story in NGM, a book (can still be bought from Amazon.com) and many exhibitions. Plus world wide fame. On his website you can see all 90 pictures, plus numerous other pictures from all over the world.

This is the story in short (from Amazon books):
            «Renowned nature photographer Jim Brandenburg gave himself a challenge: for ninety days between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice, he would make only one photograph a day. As his shutter opened and closed on that first day, his 90-day journey began. This exquisite book is the result of that bold and immensely personal project.»

And just to mention it; if you are searching for great wallpapers for you PC, this is the place to look.

Last edited by Sigve; November 21st, 2013, 22:27. Reason: editing
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

There are a lot of great photographers around the world, but this one really stands out.
              I have never seen more beautiful photos. She mainly takes photos of her kids and their pets.

Elena Shumilova:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75571860@N06

Im sure some of you have seen some of her photos on Facebook, as there was an article about her that was shared a number of times during the last months.

Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world. Show off your favorite photos and videos to the world, securely and privately show content to your friends and family, or blog the photos and videos you take with a cameraphone.

Comment

Here is something for those who agree with me that Hjorundfjorden is probably the "best" fjord in Norway: http://www.smp.no/kultur/article10858493.ece#1
                But is is also testimony to a great photographer, hence here.

PS> it is also to remind everybody that there is a place for any kind of PRO pictures by great photographers and from anywhere in the world.

Comment

I am daring to criticise a great photographer. but I do not like the Hjorundfjorden image. The water is beautiful, absolutely mirror like in the calm early morning light, the mountain tops just caught by the rising sun. But those mountains.... hard, looking as if they have been cut out and stuck on the photograph. This shows up particularly in the range at the right, you can follow the black line at its edge from summit to ground, while the same hard line is there on the mountains in the far distance.
                  Where is the mystery inherent in scenes at twilight and sunrise, the feeling of awe in front of the sheer beauty of Norway's landscape? Where is the sense of distance shown by the gradual softening of lines far away? That is what I see so often, everything is bright and clear, sharply outlined as if on the same plane. Flat. A poster image, in fact.
                  But "Serious Man" is a strong, beautifully posed and lit portrait. I rarely go for this genre but this is one I could study for a long time.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well somebody must have found it pleasing since it received an acclamation in a Norway's largest photo competition: http://fotografforbundet.no/hendelse/fotografi-2015/
                    I liked it because it showed my favourit fjord, but also because it was so sharp and had "everything" in it, but I bow to the opinion of the two esteemed ladies here.

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good lad!!

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Having now been up and down the Hjorundfjord twice in October, it beats the socks off touristy Geirangerfjord. It is my favourite now because of the amazing geological history. I stayed on Lofoten and watched the 360 degree panorama for three hours instead of going ashore.
                    Perfect. I agree with ombugge.

An amazing series of aerial pictures from around the world: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/26/tr...vel_hp_herobox

Comment

Here is something to aim for for our semi-prof photographers: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/fo...et/a/23502758/
                    The perfect picture, do you agree???

Comment

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do agree with this one - spectacular and quite rare to catch, I suspect.

Another selection of perfectly timed pictures from around the world for your enjoyment: http://en.videobuzzy.com/24-perfectl...hotos-424.news
                    Don't know if it is all by pros.

Comment

Another Sunnmoring makes his mark in a photo contest: http://www.smp.no/kultur/2015/11/25/...n-11849837.ece

OK, your opinion please?

Comment

• pakarang
                        pakarang commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I really like the winning image from this guy... it's almost like a painting but then it is a photo!

A perfect example of the right time at the right spot.

A fantastic collection of pictures from the Steinway & Sons piano factory, such great light:
                      http://www.chrispaynephoto.com/steinway/

Comment

More photographs from around the world: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...awards/521052/

Comment

Working...
                      X