• Show
Clear All

Smirisary

Was there a water wheel here?

and adjacent building

together

Comment

Kinlochmoidart

stone building with corrugated roof. (next to the bridges posted in the other thread)

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Abandoned houses and buildings comes in so many great shapes...

Came to think of it, on the country side, buildings are abandoned whilst in the city, everything is demolished and removed to make way for new constructions.

Is there anyone who have some images of abandoned buildings in a city?
        Welcome to the "Abandoned Building Capital of the World", Johor Bahru, Malaysia. There are a number of Mega Projects that was started in the mid-1990s but abandoned in the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis:

The abandoned apartment blocks in the foreground is in the process of being demolished to give way to a Mass Rapid Transit System that has now also stalled.

Here is the "Pacific Mall" at Jalan Storey, Johor Bahru, abt. 5 min. drive from the Causeway to Singapore:

(Also seen in the back ground on the first pic)

A different view of Pacific Mall:

Note the loose glass panes hanging way up on the building, ready to come flying in the next rain storm.

The large podium, which was to become a shopping paradise for Singaporeans:

A view inside "Shopping Haven" to be:

This is the state of the escalators after the metal thieves have got to them:

The police is still "investigating" but haven't made any arrests, so far. (Pic from 2002 or so)

To be fair, there are some success stories, where previously stalled building projects have been re-started and completed. Here is one of them:

The same building after completion last year as the Grand Paragon Hotel:

And there are a number of other tall buildings that has come up before and after 1997:

(Grand Paragon on the right)

Comment

WOW! I had no idea that whole MALLS could be abandoned.....never even occupied???

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
            WOW! I had no idea that whole MALLS could be abandoned.....never even occupied???
            As they say in Bahasa Malayu; "Malaysia Boleh"

Comment

Rangoon, Burma

Here is an abandoned Government office building in Rangoon:

This picture was taken only a week or 10 days after the sudden move of the administration from Rangoon to the new capital, Naypyidaw.
              Beautiful colonial buildings were just left empty.

Comment

Another abandoned building at the Strand in Rangoon;

Very distinct architecture from the colonial day.

These two pics were taken on my last visit to Burma, Nov, 2005.
                The Civil Servants got only a few days notice before the move was implemented. Only a few Watchmen were left to look after the buildings and prevent looting of what little was left. (Cables, plumbing etc.)

Comment

THANK YOU SO MUCH for bringing those very exotic images to us! Love them, their detail and style! Makes me think of so many similar places in Thailand!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    As they say in Bahasa Malayu; "Malaysia Boleh"
                    I remember this one VERY WELL!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Abandond buildings in Singapore

Singapore is know for demolishing buildings, not for abandoning them. In my more than 40 years of living here I have seen several buildings in their third reincarnation, especially hotels, office buildings and shopping centers.
                      But there are a few abandoned residential buildings here too, mostly because the Owners have moved away and cannot be found, or due to family disputes etc.

Here is probably the largest and best know "abandoned" building in Singapore, Old Changi Hospital:

Nicely located on high ground with view of Johor Strait and eastern part of Singapore:

Built in 1932 and "abandoned" in 1997 when the new Changi General Hospital was completed. It actually belong to Singapore Land Authorities and there have been several plans made for it's re-use, including as a Resort, Club or other recreational activities, but none has materialized, so far.

One of the reasons for this failure may be that it is rumored to be haunted.
                      This is abstract from Singapore Paranormal Investigator's web site: http://www.spi.com.sg/haunted/ghoulish_trial/main07.htm

From February 1997 onwards, OCH was closed for its hospital operations were replaced by the new Changi General Hospital. It got isolated and left vacant there since then. According to some insider sources, the abandoned OCH will remain as it is but it will be re-open for the 'public' soon during 2005 for the Army Camp or for the Officer Cadet School (OCS) Trainees.

However, stories about the building being haunted started in the early 40's. The Hospital itself had 70+ years of rich history when it survived from the dreadful World War II that took place from 1942 to 1945, witnessing the fall of Singapore and the brutal tortures towards the prisoners of war (POW) that happened there. Therefore, seeing spirits of all races and of different nationals wandering around in the compound would be a common sight.

If you are thinking of visiting the hospital in the hope of bumping into a spirit of any nature, go with 2 or 3 friends. If you go beyond that, you will never see it as they are all hiding behind the window pane or the back of the door WATCHING at you. But of course, you can go there alone, however you will never find yourself ALONE.

Maybe a future as competition to Singapore Zoo's "Night Safari"?

Comment

Here are a couple of photo's of a grade II listed building, the Fanny Marshall Memorial Institute building. Abandoned about 6 years ago after constant use since 1896. The towns council are not allowed to demolish it, so it remains empty.
                        Sorry for the quality of the shots, I was in a big hurry.

Last edited by SaintsFCFan; July 3rd, 2009, 22:58.
                        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

This is an abandoned house in a small village in the Black Forest. The joke is that they build a new house on the same ground wasting land and spoiling the nature, while this one is empty.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                            This is an abandoned house in a small village in the Black Forest. The joke is that they build a new house on the same ground wasting land and spoiling the nature, while this one is empty.
                            This would have been a great house restored to its full glory.

Comment

Not exactly an building, but this is a picture from an abandonded amusement park in Tchernobyl.

Ofcourse i did not take this picture myself. I do not think the grounds for a nuclear catastrophy would be my first choice of a vacation spot

I found the picture at this site. There are quite a few other picture from the abandoned city there.

This link have quite a few pictures taken inside some of the buildings. One picture there that makes me think, is one of some empty children beds, possibly from an orphanage or hospital, still with toys inside them.

Tommy
                              Last edited by t0mm96; July 13th, 2009, 12:37.

Comment

I have watched several episodes of the TV show about what the world would be like if humans instantly disappeared. Chernobyl was one of their examples of how quickly nature returns. I suppose sometime in the next 10 years the ferris wheel will come crashing down.

Comment

Working...
                                X