Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    And the great thing is that those pictures of abandoned buildings really opened my eyes for HDR photography.
    Never liked it, and never liked HDR outdoor images, but I must admit this high dynamic range suits indoor images from abandoned buildings perfect.
    In fact, if they had been regular colour images, they would not work as well.
    Yep Svein - I agree. The clever selection of where to change the photo really makes them come alive. Will have to remember to bracket everything and play!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Just had a peep at Martin Widland, following Svein's link. Look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/2959120...in/photostream I did, and I certainly got breathless. Got to go back sometime and see more of him.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes, Martin W. is one of the best of the abandoned buildings photographers I've discovered so far.

As far as I know, he's not a pro (amazing) and he lives in Oslo, Norway.
        Now, as I've looked through the different albums of the two mentioned (Martin W., Andreas S.) I've come to understand that they are a part of a huge group of people making themselves way into such buildings.
        They never tell where, or what the buildings are called and they are as far as possible anonymous.

I wonder how they find the objects, what they do to enter (as they've put upon themselves NOT to break and enter, and they do it in broad daylight).
        I can't imagine they contact any authorities, owners or any other to get clearance to enter, and they never go alone.

If I were to take pictures at the Luster Sanatorium, how can I go there in broad daylight without being seen?
        I mean, it would be impossible. A new "unknown" car in the area with a guy behind the wheel the residents has never seen before? Nope, I would have to go in like a commando.

I belive my huge interest for images such as these comes from me enjoying taking pictures of abandoned houses, cars and everything else...., exteriorwise...

EDIT: And now that I've found the camera settings/exif, it makes it all so much more interesting. Maybe I can find a tutorial video on YouTube too....
        Last edited by Sterkoder; March 4th, 2013, 22:56.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I know next to nothing about how they might gain entry to these buildings, but if they have been a long time unused and were in this country there would be no end of broken windows and battered doors to make getting in simple. A house or shop has only to be empty a short while pending a protracted selling period before the windows have to be covered up with chipboard for protection from the yobs. But even if that is not so in Norway, if the buildings are in a fairly isolated position and cars are parked a good long way away, then no doubt a broken window will be found somehow, or a door not properly shut. Intriguing, isn't it? But the results from what I saw on that one Flickr stream, are superb.
          Svein, don't waste time looking for a tutorial, you just get on with your own experiments in that line. From what I've seen of your photos, you've no problem.

PS. had a thought. You read of thieves entering an art gallery, calmly walking up to a painting and removing it without any problem. That wouldn't happen in a big national gallery, of course, but in smaller ones with not so many attendants, they can get away with it. The public do not realise that they are anyone but "official" workers. Perhaps these photographers do the same and the locals assume they are on official business of some kind!
          Last edited by wherrygirl; March 5th, 2013, 00:08.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

From what I've seen of your photos, you've no problem.
            Now look what you've done...., you made me blush
            I guess a big thank you is in place.

Perhaps these photographers do the same and the locals assume they are on official business of some kind!
            Could be, but I don't think so.
            If so, I might belive they blend in as good as thay can as ordinary guys/tourists making nothing of themselves, then in the next second without no one noticing mysteriously disappear into buildings.
            But as I said, I don't know.

A funny thing though (a Norwegian fenomenon??), as nobody care for large buildings not to be used again and abandoned...., "everyone" call the cops when one peaceful soul only want to take a picture. Not doing vandalism to a single grain of dust.

Oh, well..., in the meantime I'll enjoy all the "abandoned" albums on Flickr
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              Click into the link below and see what I found...., in Norway!!!

Photographers of abandoned and derelict houses/places never name names (to keep vandals away from perfect photo locations), so since I found 'AndreasS' pictures at his Flickr account, I would not tell either.

Since we don't have too many buildings of this size or type (sanatorium), it would be not the hardest work to find out where it is.
              Nevertheless, I'll use 'AndreasS' name on it, the Overlook Sanatorium.

Enjoy these fantastic pictures:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/norue/s...th/4917590676/

Wouldn't it be great to make a photo session in this building during a summer week-end?? One thing is for sure, I'm not going in there on my own

'AndreasS' entered the building with two buddies, dedicated derelict photographers.
              One of them being Martin Widlund. Take a look inside his Flickr accound and get breathless:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/29591209@N06/
              And now they want to give it away.
              See this on Finn.no: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/gisbo...nkode=40352563
              You can get it for 1 NKR, provided that you have financial resources to stop the decay.
              If nobody can take over, the buildings will be demolish within 2013/2014.
              Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                And now they want to give it away.
                See this on Finn.no: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/gisbo...nkode=40352563
                You can get it for 1 NKR, provided that you have financial resources to stop the decay.
                If nobody can take over, the buildings will be demolish within 2013/2014.
                I checked out the flick-images... the place is so extremely spooky, yet the location is absolutely stunning. Imagine turning this into a hotel.... if I only had the time and energy to stop the decay.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

We've talked a lot about the old Internatskole at Sarnes on this thread. Well, it's still there - produly sporting a new sign showing off that it is a film star. Even in the midnight sun on a warm summer's evening, it's CREEEPPPYYY!!

The sign says "This is a film location for 'Lengsel etter natid', 'Yearning for today', 'Secnsuch mach gegenwardt', a film symphony for the North Cape Area by Knut Erik Jensen."

Looks moodier in black and white. (Even though I'm famously bad at black & white photos!).

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

And another one from Magerøya, this time at Gjesvær. Since our project for the Captain's Voyage Yacht seems to be making little progress, maybe we should look for a 'clubhouse' we can afford - I propose this one:

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Let me throw in some abandoned buildings from a place at the other side of the world.
                      I think I posted pictures of these same buildings some time ago, but her goes again.
                      Abandoned terrace houses in Lumut, West Malaysia:

And the road were they are found:

Comment

Abandoned Beach Bar at Pulau Pangkor, West Malaysia:

And the view from there:

Comment

for this view it worthed to rebuild it again
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Here is a couple more views from the same place:

The premises are for sale. Any interest???

Comment

Why was is destroyed? By a tsunami or hurricane? That could be a reason or is it a very remote position?
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                                And another one from Magerøya, this time at Gjesvær. Since our project for the Captain's Voyage Yacht seems to be making little progress, maybe we should look for a 'clubhouse' we can afford - I propose this one:

"Some assembly and refurbishment may be required".....
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X