Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    It is the image of the switches in #328 that really gets to me. Always there is the fascination of former times and peoples’ lives in abandoned places, but there is something more, something closer about that image…the feeling of touch, of touching and turning for the very last time that brings me so close to that person. The thought of a “last time” for something. Did they even know it was going to be the last time I wonder…such a simple everyday act become so philosophical and meaningful.

I think the sense of touch is important to me. I’m always wanting to touch things.

Pakarang, you have started me thinking of selecting “touch” images from your work for a photo-essay, or a future assignment.
    Dearest Lady C,

You are actually talking about something very essential there... something which says that we have some very similar thoughts on some level. I have also thought about that many times: "the last time"... While I was working on the Norway (and I think I might have talked about this before also somewhere), I often thought about how it would be like when the Norway did her last departure, last arrival, last cruise, last time slowing down for her port call, last turn around.... it has fascinated me for such a long time.

When it comes to the light switch, what struck me was that I started thinking about the people who LAST TIME put it into that particular position, when was it installed, and when was it switched off for the last time. This is extremely fascinating stuff.

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Same as above
    And to you Sterkoder: I'm so profoundly thrilled that you have started taking so many wonderful photographs (such as these)!. You do have a wonderful touch to your images and each time you present something like these, all I can think is that I do want so much more images from you. There is an artist in you, rest assured, that if you choose to follow your passion, you can create wonderful things.

The above image is also really scary: it stood out of them all and literally shouted at me. Imagine making a scary movie at that very location: so incredibly spooky setting.

And that you have also told us about your connection and your story, that makes the whole thing come together like a wonderful puzzle solved. Bored? No way!

This is the kind of thing I keep on returning to for inspiration, and to learn more of the past. Wonderful!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well..., what can I say, in bed surfing on my iPhone...
      J-O, I'm in awe after your comments on my story and images here.
      It's like the Master Photographer turns to his pupil for inspiration...
      As Lady C mention, or it might have been in a PM, my way of photography is to take a well composed and as correct as possible picture the first time.
      I might loose something by doing it that way, but I don't think so..., personally.
      This lead to me trying to live up to other great photographers in here by taking pictures I myself would like to see, and images good enough for public presentation.
      You all are inspirators to me, all in your own way, and over the past few years I've learned a lot about photography from CVF. Thanks!!
      Everyone have their own style and items they want to photograph more than other items. I have a passion for ships and boats, but more and more gets drawn towards abandoned houses and buildings. Facinating!!
      Ok..., now my eyes are closing themselves, so see you all tomorrow....ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
      Last edited by Sterkoder; June 9th, 2011, 22:48.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Near the harbor in Bilbao, Spain. I would LOVE to know what this building was at one point.

Comment

... and even more, I would love to explore the insides of it.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

An old water pump house now abandoned, by the lake Jonsvannet, Trondheim's drinking water:

Comment

The window of an abandoned shed in Trondheim:

Comment

Anybody remember the abandoned Pacific Mall in Johor Bahru:

Well, it is still standing there, looking more or less the same.

Comment

But this is not the only abandoned Mall in JB. Here is the Waterfront City Lot 1. Completed in 2000 and intended to bring in new business and life to the area facing Singapore across the Johor Strait:

The project failed when the Owner run into financial problems and the whole thing closed down in 2003.

Comment

I don't know if it can be called abandoned, since there is still an Owner, with a small office at the wharf:

But all activity within the complex has ceased and the place has an abandoned look:

Comment

There is even bushes growing on the structure:

A wharf was built to receive ferries and small Cruise ships:

Comment

Piles were driven for the next stage, Lot 2 and Lot 3:

This is how close it is to Causeway from Singapore, where a lot of the business was expected to originate:

Those with sharp eyes can see the dense traffic on the causeway, in both direction.

Anybody with a good business idea to revive this complex???

Comment

Here is another major building that has been abandoned for many years,
                          the Hotel Labuan in Labuan FT, East Malaysia:

This one has a bit of a personal story to go with it, since I have stayed in this hotel many times and did regard the former Owner as a good friend at one time.

The hotel has been shut down since the mid 1990s and now belong to the local Government in Labuan. There appears to be no plans to refurbish, or to knock it down at this time.

Those who have been look into the This is Malaysia and other threads featuring pictures from Labuan would have seen this building many times, but always from the sea side, like here:

I may even have mentioned that it is abandoned at some time.

On my last visit to Labuan I found myself with some time on my hand and decided to go and have a closer look at what was left of it.

Comment

I had heard stories about the basement being flooded and full of mosquito and rats:

That looks very likely to be true in all respects.

I had also heard the the reason it had not been refurbished or demolished was that it is haunted, but I don't know about that.

Comment

Lets start from one side and take a walk around.
                              The land facade, or North side:

Comment

The side lane on the East side:

The side lane on the West side:

Comment

Working...
                                X