Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

My final image, until the next time I find an abandoned building to explore: I hope you all have enjoyed this tour with me and that it might inspire others to also add to this thread.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Could this be a SCANIA VABIS, or what is left of one?
      No Sir, this is the sad remains of an old Volvo. In a hurry, such old trucks from Volvo and Scania can look alike, but then again: there are details you know

The orange/red heavy hauler there is the remains of a widely used lorry/cargo vehicle in Norway in the 60s and 70s: Deutz, or Magirus Deutz.

I really like taking pictures of abandoned stuff myself. Not only are they great objects to photograph, but on top of that they tell a story. Often an important story about our history and culture.

Keep up the work, my friend!
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you so much for that Sterkoder.

I do agree with you: all things abandoned do have a history, and they all were new at one point.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Wonderful new additions! I like this also very much...
          It would be a nice game to identify all those car doors.
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            ....It would be a nice game to identify all those car doors.
            Thank you very much Ralf, but I don't think I will ever be able to identify all those doors. There were so many of them, I would guess all in all, maybe around 50-60 doors around the area.

Actually, apart from the owner showing up, what i was the most afraid of, was the possibility of snakes in the grass and under all the things laying around.

Comment

It is the image of the switches in #328 that really gets to me. Always there is the fascination of former times and peoples’ lives in abandoned places, but there is something more, something closer about that image…the feeling of touch, of touching and turning for the very last time that brings me so close to that person. The thought of a “last time” for something. Did they even know it was going to be the last time I wonder…such a simple everyday act become so philosophical and meaningful.

I think the sense of touch is important to me. I’m always wanting to touch things.

Pakarang, you have started me thinking of selecting “touch” images from your work for a photo-essay, or a future assignment.
              Last edited by Seagull; June 1st, 2011, 10:00. Reason: ...as I was starting to think about assignment subject after I had posted...

Comment

Today, I will give you some images from an abandoned farm close to the Sunndalsfjorden, 7 kilometers south of Tingvoll.
                On an image or two, you might spot the white tower on the other side of the fjord, which is the tower over at Rausand Mines.
                (Now I guess you've all pinpointed the farm).

The farm seen from the parkinglot

The barn

I don't quite know when this farm was abandoned, but in 1975, this barn housed goats and sheeps

Inside these walls were the living room of one of the two buildings where people lived

The other house

The fjord side of the first house. Here, the wooden steps up to the entrance are completely gone. Only the railings can be seen in the bush there

Comment

The house with the steps gone seen from the fjord side

Same as above

This visit to the old farm was very special to me, and at this stage in my posting, I have to tell you that this is the farm where my parents rented the house with the steps gone as their/our "summer place" before they bought a place for themselves.
                  This visit was very emotional, as I haven't been here in 37-38 years and just this day, I brought my daughter at age 11.
                  Very strange for her to walk in the footsteps of her father when he was 11...
                  Anyway, I told her that in that huge tree on the way down to the boathouse, my brother and I made a rope swing...., actually our father did.

And what do you know....., a bit of the rope was still here!

From that swing place, the farm and house we rented looked like this

On our way to the boathouse, I told my daughter that me and my brother used to build a hut in a tree there, but THAT would have to be just a good story because after 38 years, all trace of that hut must have been gone due to weather and all.
                  But to my surprice....., that almost gave me a lump in my throat:

Comment

Last time I touched those planks and nails were 37 years ago. It was so strange to be there....., but good.

And looking at the nails..., my daughter asked;
                    -" Did you really build this hut? Did you really, when you were 11 years old...., just as I am now? Wow!"

(This is of course the rest of the hut, as 95% of it is gone)

And the boathouse, still standing. Back in the 70s this housed a beautiful racerboat in mahogany from the 1930s, but that was long gone of course. Don't know where...

And this was the building we rented.

An eldorado for small kids. "Our" house to the right, the playground actually grown with apple trees, the tree with the swing and the boathouse to the left. What a day this became...

(Sorry if I bothered you all with a rather personal story, but I felt like telling you this....)
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; June 4th, 2011, 22:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      ....Sorry if I bothered you all with a rather personal story, but I felt like telling you this....
                      Bothered??!! Oh Svein, Svein….You just made my day, really touched me. Unexpectedly I suppose – this is a thread I hold extra special, but usually for reasons of curiosity and imagination, sometimes drawn by spookiness or strangeness, or the sort of philosophical musings I wrote about in the post just before yours. Often it’s simply a “sense of place” that I seem to be sensitive to. But one isn’t expecting a personal story to emerge from within our CV family, as one might in the thread “My Ship” or similar topics.

I wonder how I would have reacted to seeing this place had I not known your connection with it. There is indeed something unsettling yet at the same time comfortingly protective about that image #338/2 with all the foliage smothering the porch and front door, denying access.

By the time I reached the swing rope and the remaining planks of the tree hut I was actually crying in a happy way. And your talent for photography has made this sharing possible.
                      These will be special images for Vilde to treasure of a day she will not forget.

Comment

Well, bothered might be the wrong word.

Thank you for your heartfelt comments, cecilia!
                        I can assure you, this was a strange and special trip for me, and the thing is; when I woke up this morning, I didn't plan this visit at all.
                        I didn't know until about 30 minutes before that I would walk around at the old farm with my daughter...

I'm facinated by old abandoned houses and buildings, and I could have taken hundreds of images have I had the time today.
                        I had all my objectives with me, and a couple of hours there with my 10-17...., or 90mm macro.....
                        Mmmmmm, I must be back there one day I think.

And the thing is;
                        My mother also enjoyed taking pictures (I knew I had it from somewhere), so there are some pictures from that farm at the time we rented the house.
                        I have to take a look in my mothers old albums, and maybe scan some images.
                        In a way, I feel like showing you how the farm looked like when people lived there and it was kind of preserved...
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; June 4th, 2011, 23:31.

Comment

That is awsome, and I hope you will succeed in finding some of the old photos, and showing us the “then” as well as the “now”.

Comment

I found some pictures taken back in 1973, and for easier comparison "then/now" I would insert them where they belonged in conjunction with the "now" images of page 17.
                            Then I remember that it would not work, as we now are not allowed to upload more than 6 images including smilies pr. post.
                            (Enjoyed it more when it was 10).
                            Nevertheless, I guess you could find out for yourselves what "then" image suits what "now" image.

The small wooden bridge over the little creek is completely gone, and as we can see, the steps are intact and trees and bushes are alot less dominant

The building was not completely white back then either.

The barn was complete, and there were no tree growing out of the roof on the far side

Inside the lower window of the second image.
                            (The round table was still there Saturday as I could see it from a distance)

Me and my brother fixing a grill down by the boathouse.
                            My brother in the blue suit. He was 7 and I was 10, now he sadly is dead and I'm 48. (You can understand why this was an emotional visit for me)

Hope you enjoyed this even if it became more personal than we are used to in here. But, we're a family..., aren't we...?
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; June 6th, 2011, 23:35.

Comment

Sterkoder - wonderful. It is indeed personal, but in such a way that it helps to learn so much about your personality. I think each of us has very emotional places, for me it is the farm of my grand parents, it has always been a picture in my life and i am trying to build up my life according to this picture. So this place is visible each day in my mind. And i see how important this visit there was - and is - for you. I am proud and feel again very honoured to be part of this family...
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                                ....Hope you enjoyed this even if it became more personal than we are used to in here. But, we're a family..., aren't we...?
                                I think I am very used to being personal here amongst my CV family.
                                But to come to this thread today and find these old pictures and realise what they mean to you was a special moment, and brings a deeper dimension to the phrase “Thank you for sharing”.
                                Like Ralf just said, I’m proud and honoured to belong here.

Comment

Working...
                                X