Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    That mental hospital would be awesome to visit... but I'm not sure I would have dared venture inside with Lady E... I have a feeling she might have tried to scare the water out of me, by hiding and jumping out in front of me screaming BOOOOO....
    I wouldn't do that..because it would give you the right to turn around and do it to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

.... Naturally, it would be better in advance to clarify the entry with someone in charge or the property owner, asking them for permission and stating why we would want to enter....
      These days I would think in the case of places like an abandoned institution, the local authority or owner would require one to sign away any right to claim against them should one be injured as a result of collapsing floor or ceiling or whatever. That would probably be their main concern, and the reason for the place being officially off limits.

Comment

Greenland #4 – An abandoned church in Kraulshavn

With this little photo-essay about an abandoned church in Greenland I am rather jumping ahead of myself in the journey sequences of the threads about the Arctic and Greenlanders…but I felt like making a contribution to this thread just now, and that it might be appreciated, so here it is.

The ship Fram had made an unscheduled visit to a very small settlement called Kraulshavn. Its location in hilly surroundings may sound appealing, but this is emphatically not “picture postcard” Greenland. Rubbish strewn around, dilapidated houses, a general air of neglect…yet along with Thule and Dundas Village, this place remains in my memories as the high point of the entire voyage. I will try to show why in the other threads in due course. Here, now, is just the story of the church.

Given that few buildings had been recently painted, it was not immediately obvious from a distance that the church on the hill was derelict. Then, getting closer, came the shock of the realising the roof was collapsed and there had been a fire. At first I, not unnaturally, assumed that this had recently occurred. So it was rather disturbing to learn that the fire had actually happened a whole year previously.

But this is remote traditional Greenland and life is lived differently here…the church services, and also a school affected by the fire, had decamped to another building, and this “temporary arrangement” simply became permanent.

Last edited by Seagull; March 17th, 2011, 16:29.

Comment

Increasingly fascinated and drawn towards the church, I headed up the hill, up rocks and onto a ledge from where I could look into the building through the dark opening seen here on the left of the window.

Comment

What I saw inside seems shocking from the point of view of our modern western societies. For no attempt whatsoever seemed to have been made to clear debris or even retrieve artefacts.

I will leave you with the rest of my images which I hope will convey what this astonishing place felt like. They are for me very special.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

You may not understand what I have shown you….but perhaps later on, in the other threads, it will become clear just how honoured I feel to have visited Kraulshavn.

Comment

Art on abandoned buildings and properties in Lofoten:

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.7297461

What do you think about it?
                          On one hand, interesting. Not that it fits well on the wooden buildings, but that prisoner on the white wall is a nice piece of work.
                          On the other hand: I don't like it at all. It destroys my personal need for old abandoned houses, namely the need for them as interesting objects to aim my camera at....
                          (But this might only be something local, so that will not be a problem).

And Cecilia: Thank you so very much for showing us your images from the burned out church. Awesome!!!! It must be a heartbreaking loss for the people there, but in all its devastating appearance, it gives the right person hundreds of great picture motifs.
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; March 13th, 2011, 14:22.
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Astonishing images Lady C... thank you so much!

Obviously, there was a fire at some point... but, look at that .. piano (?)... it seems so much less damaged than the surrounding areas of the church. Almost a little peculiar, but still sad and interesting at the same time.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Abandoned bunker in Trondheim:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I love the exhaust sticking from what appears to be rock. The concrete is so old it looks almost natural.

Comment

Working...
                                X