No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This small house was the local post office at this place for a long time ago
    Now I just have to rot without anyone cares anymore...

Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

The barn looks like it desperately tries to resist the pressure to not fall over...

Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

This is really stunning Asimut, I wonder how long it takes before it comes to this state with trees growing on the roof? Absolutely brilliant photos.
        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
          This is really stunning Asimut, I wonder how long it takes before it comes to this state with trees growing on the roof? Absolutely brilliant photos.
          Couldn't have agreed more: these are absolutely stunning compositions.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
            This small house was the local post office at this place for a long time ago
            Now I just have to rot without anyone cares anymore...

I would love to know the history of this building. I love the roof- are the tiles slate? I think they look like fish scales!

I wonder why the siding is mismatched? An d is that old knob-and-tube electrical wiring? The stucco on the brick fireplace....all very intriguing.....

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
              ......knob-and-tube electrical .......
              I guess you mean the "knob-and-tube electrical-thingy"?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I would love to know the history of this building. I love the roof- are the tiles slate? I think they look like fish scales!

I wonder why the siding is mismatched? The stucco on the brick fireplace....all very intriguing.....
                This little building is a part of the building formerly used as a residence and post office for the family, Martha and Johannes Slettmo.
                They managed Slettmo post office.

Post office was established April 1, 1920 and closed in 1967.
                The part that was previously used for mail service is partially removed, so therefor the color difference between the wall cladding.
                Looks like round slate on the roof.

This is not the original building where they start the post office,that building is demolished for a long time ago.
                That's all I know.
                Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                  This is really stunning Asimut, I wonder how long it takes before it comes to this state with trees growing on the roof?
                  Thanks a lot SaintsFCFan
                  It has definitely taken a few years, I believe.
                  Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

With such a pretty view, it's a shame no one has renovated it....And that slate has many good years left to it, I would think.

How charming it would be, with a wooden and glass door, with a deck built all around to accommodate the slope and a proper garden? Window boxes.....

Comment

Although it is sad to see it in such a condition, how lovely to see the fish-scale slate roof on that little old building. It is like the one I posted in my Looking Closer thread and which I admire each time I pass. I once watched a craftsman replacing some of those slates and the care with which he worked was a joy to see. The slates are not completely round, Asimut, they have one straight end, while each side is straight for much of its length until the rounding begins for the other end. At least, that is how they are shaped in England. As you will know, slate is not easy to work on curves, so it is something to be much appreciated when seen.
                      I think ehp's knob and tube contraption may be remnants of the old telegraph system, the white knob being the porcelain insulator.
                      Going back to the grass covered roof, surely this was often used in Scandinavian countries? Minus the trees, of course. See the following, from Troldhaugen (Edvard Grieg's place):

Last edited by wherrygirl; July 12th, 2010, 12:12.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Ivy-- I bet you are right!!!!! You are so clever!

Shades of "Lark Rise to Candleford"--can't you just see the Postmistress receiving telegrams in that building???

Comment

Ivy-- I bet you are right!!!!! You are so clever!

Shades of "Lark Rise to Candleford"--can't you just see the Postmistress receiving telegrams in that building???
                          Absolutely. BTW I just couldn't stand that earnest little do-gooder with such a sweet winning little smile! Yuk!
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Abandoned houses in Lumut, Perak, Malaysia

These abandoned houses were seen near the beach in Lumut a few days ago.

A row of "Town Houses":

A small house of unknown identity:

An abandoned Office Building in Lumut:

Comment

Really interesting images ombugge!

I always get so exited on seeing abandoned things: the historical part of my brain yarns for history: what things were like before.

Comment

An abandoned building... only the wall remains, I think it might have been a "fjøs" (barn) once upon a time: Være, outside Trondehim:

Comment

Working...
                                X