No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you very much Seagull. Ah! Yes, the tunnels, we're now gathering a large amount of information about them now. When I get more information I'll update as I go.
    This is a curious building I'm now showing you, it has had many incarnations, lastly it was DN21 Nightclub - Slice Of Heaven Nightclub - Kristies Nighclub - Trent's Nightclub - CO-OP, but firsly it was the old Customs House. This building was why the rum smugglers did their thing, now it has been abandoned for the last year at the owners great cost.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
      Thank you very much Seagull. Ah! Yes, the tunnels, we're now gathering a large amount of information about them now. When I get more information I'll update as I go.
      This is a curious building I'm now showing you, it has had many incarnations, lastly it was DN21 Nightclub - Slice Of Heaven Nightclub - Kristies Nighclub - Trent's Nightclub - CO-OP, but firsly it was the old Customs House. This building was why the rum smugglers did their thing, now it has been abandoned for the last year at the owners great cost.
      If I ever end up living in your corner of the world, I want to refurbish this one and make it into a wonderful studio/loft/shop/home.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• An abandoned house near Fikkan, in Nærøy, taken a few days ago:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Kjølelagret in Trondheim, a frozen fish storage house, is now just about history:

Comment

• Is it just me, or does anyone else just hate see old buildings come down. To me it is as if they have earned their right to exist by just being there all those years. People will come and go, live and die, but some buildings cover your entire life span. They are a part of life itself.
            I think I'm a sentimental old fool really!

Comment

• I have mixed feeling when I see buildings being torn down: sometimes, I feel like I have a connection with a building, even though I've never been inside, but I do remember them from my childhood.

I do understand that evolution is needed and that new exiting buildings needs to come up: old buildings must come down so that new exiting architecture can be built.

But it is sad, as you say, because there are so many stories to old buildings also: they were, like abandoned cars or boats, also brand new and high tech once a long time ago.

Then, I find it interesting to see the details when the building gets demolished. Seeing the details and things we never saw before.

But I also get very disappointed when an old building has been torn down, only to be replaced by a below average new building. I like new exiting materials, exiting architecture and modern design: whilst still retaining the overall atmosphere of the adjacent older buildings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                I have mixed feeling when I see buildings being torn down: sometimes, I feel like I have a connection with a building, even though I've never been inside, but I do remember them from my childhood.

I do understand that evolution is needed and that new exiting buildings needs to come up: old buildings must come down so that new exiting architecture can be built.

But it is sad, as you say, because there are so many stories to old buildings also: they were, like abandoned cars or boats, also brand new and high tech once a long time ago.

Then, I find it interesting to see the details when the building gets demolished. Seeing the details and things we never saw before.

But I also get very disappointed when an old building has been torn down, only to be replaced by a below average new building. I like new exiting materials, exiting architecture and modern design: whilst still retaining the overall atmosphere of the adjacent older buildings.
                Some years back I sat in an office in Shekou, China, waiting for somebody, or something, and watching what looked like a fairly modern building next door being demolished.
                Out of idle boredom I asked the Receptionist why they were tearing down what appeared to be a perfectly functional office block.
                "Why(???), it is over 25 years old" she said. "Oh, and how old are you?" I asked. I just got a blank look back.

The morale of the story? Don't try to make a joke (or sarcastic remark) in China. It would not register anyhow.

Besides, at the rapid development of Shenzhen Economic Zone 25 years old buildings are likely to be obsolete and probably shoddily built.

Comment

• One of the things I do miss about Bangkok is keeping an eye on all the new developments and the rejuvenation of the old city.

There is always something going on in Bangkok: old buildings disappear and new ones being constructed.

I bet I won't recognize the city when I one day return.

Comment

• This one was interesting, it's been sat along our riverside wharf's for centuries. Inside it's not safe to do anything in, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
                    Not a place for playing around in, somewhere near the backwall is the stairwell to the 2nd & 3rd floors. the only reason you can see this much is because of the camera flash. I will find some photos of the outside and pt 'em up!

Comment

• Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                      This one was interesting, it's been sat along our riverside wharf's for centuries. Inside it's not safe to do anything in, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
                      Not a place for playing around in, somewhere near the backwall is the stairwell to the 2nd & 3rd floors. the only reason you can see this much is because of the camera flash. I will find some photos of the outside and pt 'em up!
                      I love finding buildings like these... study their details, way of building and architecture... and off course, traces of their long life.

Comment

• This is the photos of the outside of old Furley's Wharf Building. When I can get a new more powerful flash light I'll be going in again. I just hope the floors are stable and there's no surprises.

The bulk of old Furley's.

From the roadside.

From the unguarded entrance, and the old flood wall now obsolete.

The old 150 year old hoist, which apparently someone hung themselves from 3 years ago.

This is how I got in, and that's all the light there is apart from the camera flash.

This is lit up with the camera flash, still can't see much.
                        Last edited by SaintsFCFan; March 6th, 2010, 01:03.

Comment

• Furley's Wharf Building:
                          What's with this building..., has the community decided that this is worth taking care of/saving? Do someone have plans to further use? And from the way it looks: why is it not demolished?
                          (If you haven't thought about it: this is very important work you are doing in taking these pictures. By doing so, this building will be documented for all times...., and by the way; did you feel anyone watched you when inside? (I see an eye in your picture there).
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• You know Sterkoder... I haven't a clue why they haven't demolished this old wharf building. It's been sitting here in this state for decades, but all the other buildingsd belonging to the wharf's have either been burnt down under suspicious circumstances or saved and re-modelled in to apartments. Yep! There was one person just out of sight, but I've known him for many years and it was him that told me of the person hanging themselves. And yes, also a lot of people are angry at our heritage being taken away by greedy individuals from the council that don't even have a connection to the town.

Funny enough I belong to an amateur preservation group who document everything that's either gone or is still there. Have a look at our pages on FlickR Sterkoder, you might find it very interesting about how we were and how we are now.
                            Our Town Photos

Comment

• The old boat house is left to itself to rot. But on closer look, I see that there is an abandoned fishing gear and a rope coil that is left behind.

An abandoned summer barn.

The barn has been dismantled and abandoned.

Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

• This building was a storage space for Olavsvern naval base outside of Tromsø, before it burned down in the 90's. The storage was placed on one of the two little islands called Holman in Ramfjorden not far away from the base.

Best wishes from
                                Bengt Domben

Comment

Working...
                                X