Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What special find Lady C...

It reminds me of the top of a stave church...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Darling Lady C- WONDERFUL!!

I wonder what it was...is??? Do you think this is its original location, or has it been removed from something and placed here??

(Gee, I wonder if our super spy Sterkoder has any information on architectural elements.... )

Comment

I love this thread... so much interesting and so much to see. !!!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Interestingly there are actually some places in Edinburgh where bits of buildings both exterior and interior e.g.window frames, fireplaces, doors, cornices, railings etc. can be obtained for reuse by people restoring a building, usually those from the Georgian period. But this just appeared to be on waste, albeit fenced, ground adjacent to a pedestrian/cycle path at the edge of the industrial/port area. Nearby are many new apartments, where most residents will be newcomers. But when I am around there I will be on the lookout for older people who look like they have been living in Leith for a lifetime and might remember a demolished building. I’ll ask about it. There are also architectural/historical organisations who sometimes organise walks and events who might know.
          I have indeed become very curious about it. You would not believe my excitement when I saw it, well no . . . you know me too well, so you would . . . but I’m sure I must have muttered or shouted “CaptainsVoyage Abandoned houses and properties” out loud in my excitement at such a find!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

I came across this abandoned turret feature – not quite sure what to call it! –, recently when wandering around Leith near to where the cruise ships dock. Amazing find!
            To get a photo I had to squeeze my hand+camera through a gap in the netting, aim in the approximate direction, and hope for the best! I can see the advantage in these situations of tilt and swivel LCD. (Ummm, David has now got a Nikon D5000 . . . I got to play with it a couple of times but didn't appreciate it until now!)
            As a Whisky enthusiast with a lot of distillery visits,
            I think this is a pagoda (ventilation hatch), possibly from a distillerys smokehouse.
            Not in use at many distillereys anymore, maybe only 7.
            Big Malting plants is more efficient - and cheaper.
            Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Remembering this our old Cemetary Church, well I am pleased to say it's re-opened for normal duties after all these years. I hate to see lovely old buildings like this go to waste. Not anymore!!!!!!
              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

This building was abandoned many years ago, nothing ever built in it's place. And... for good reason. I came by some 100% information that here is a huge access to our towns enormous subterranean tunnel network. Poohaa! Finally after months of searching I get a break. Ah! well, for now here is the building that can't be demolished.
                Look to the huge steel plate on the right.... Bingo!!

Comment

Here we see the Half Moon Pub, it's been closed for about 6 years now. This in it's last few years was the most roughest, baddest insane pub you've ever had the bad fortune to have gone in.

Comment

Ah! Now, this is Castle Hills School. It closed last year for the last time, we now have a new huge acedemy which I believe holds around 1500 pupils (monsters). No one knows what they'll build here in it's place, hopefully not another useless housing estate. The last thing we need here is another one of those.

Comment

Here is our now closed ex Council offices called the Guildhall. A true 60s concept, a lot of people would call it ugly, most of us here quite like it.
                      We had an order for it's demolition, that's now stopped. Yep! the shadow of archaelogy has cast over it. They are finding bodies all around it from the Civil War of 400 years ago, and what's more, yep! even more of the extensive tunnel system. Basically the whole substructure is fragile and not able to be touched.

Comment

This is my beloved Plough Pub from the early 1700s (a few modifications since though), the gits closed it down several years ago. I think it's an absolute sacrilege, how very dare they close down out watering hole!

Comment

This is Lea Road school built in 1905, it has been a business venture amongst other more less exotic things. All have failed, only the school was successful, but the usual idiots who run things thought they knew better closed it as a school.

Comment

What a beautiful building!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                              As a Whisky enthusiast with a lot of distillery visits,
                              I think this is a pagoda (ventilation hatch), possibly from a distillerys smokehouse....
                              You are brilliant, Oistein! Of course, that is exactly the sort of thing, and there were indeed many distilleries, whisky bonds and related businesses in the area.

Comment

SaintsFCFan, so great to see you are back in action, and with such varied examples of abandonment from your part of the country. And I am delighted to hear of such exciting progress with the tunnels project also! Absolutely fascinating . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X