No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an abandoned farmer "Larsgardstølen" and it's about 800-900 meters above sealevel and i located along the mountainroad Rv50 Hol-Aurland

Here is another building at the former farmers land

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Photoman View Post
      This is an abandoned farmer "Larsgardstølen" and it's about 800-900 meters above sealevel and i located along the mountainroad Rv50 Hol-Aurland

Here is another building at the former farmers land
      Not to mention, we must remember the hard work of bringing the required materials up in the mountains when they assembled and built this farm: fascinating.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

An abandoned house at Lade in Trondheim... I'm not sure what it used to house, but if I were to guess, I would think something from the war maybe.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Greenland #1 – Sisimiut

These were the first potential photos for the abandoned properties thread, seen on my first day in Greenland at Sisimiut. At the time I wasn’t entirely sure whether it was indeed abandoned – not being used at this early stage in the trip to the appearance of many occupied houses, surrounded by the debris and clutter of the hunting/fishing lifestyle. I had a little peep around, rather tentatively; still half expecting someone to emerge, I hurriedly took my photos and continued on my way.

Only later thinking back am I so much more convinced that it was unoccupied. The reason? – there were no dogs tethered outside!

Comment

This is our Central Cemetery, it's had been disused for nearly 40 years, recently it's been put back in service. I thought as it had been abandoned for all those years it deserved a mention in here.
            I found out from the Cemetery Keeper that it is now used for private immeadiate family only burials. The only thing that was done to the place was a lick of paint and the cobwebs cleared. Absolutely nothing inside has changed, the seats, alter, floor, ceiling & even the paint is exact. And for astonishment, the church organ of 163 years old still works and has a tremendous tone. I know because it got played by a person who shall remain nameless, Toccata sounded great!!

Here is the outside:

Here is the inside, with organ on the left:

Here is the roof:
            Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I have noticed a great number of churches having been left abandoned on the UK.... what is the reason why so many churches seems to be left out of work?

Naturally, my first thought goes to centralization or lack of priests. But then, it just seems to be such a waste to see beautiful buildings like the one above being left unused.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                I have noticed a great number of churches having been left abandoned on the UK.... what is the reason why so many churches seems to be left out of work?

Naturally, my first thought goes to centralization or lack of priests. But then, it just seems to be such a waste to see beautiful buildings like the one above being left unused.
                You are right that a lack of priests or ministers is a major problem. Several churches in our area are surviving with local 'lay preachers' taking the sermons. In other cases, the same minister covers 2 or 3 parishes. One local church building is shared by 2 different denominations who conduct their services at different times on a Sunday.

Other issues are the cost of keeping the church buildings in good repair- with the size of congregations dropping, there is not a great income and so maintenance has been allowed to slip, in some cases, for several years. It is expensive to replace slate roofs and repair stonework. The buildings are very difficult and expensive to heat because of their large open spaces and lack of insulation.

Many of the abandoned buildings have been turned into houses, antique shops (a favourite), tourist/gift shops and even pubs, restaurants and night clubs. Other uses I've seen have been architects' offices and youth centres.

Comment

I think this may be a similar problem in some parts of Norway. I know from Rørvik in Nord Trøndelag that the local priest is in 'charge of' several churches and holds his randoms at several churches in a set order. Could also be the same problem other places in the country.

I find it a bit surprising that the lack of priests hasn't been covered by media too often. Maybe it's a story not selling well.

Comment

An abandoned house at Lade in Trondheim... I'm not sure what it used to house, but if I were to guess, I would think something from the war maybe.
                    The first thing to strike my mind, before I read your text, was that the building had german architecture.
                    Me too belive this must have something to do with the war.
                    (Lade had a great airport during and after WW2, so it might have something to do with military buildings there).
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Here's an abandoned house in the forest just outside of the city limit in Trondheim: spooky setting, no wonder it's abandoned:

Comment

Greenland #2 – Qeqertarsuaq

Whilst we are admiring the colourful houses across in the This is the Arctic thread, I must point out that Qeqertarsuaq also has its examples of abandoned properties, though graffiti, and especially of the kind of seen here on these ruined foundations, is unusual.

A commoner sight is stuff just left lying around. It is more typical of how Greenland is than the previous photo, and such objects and the contrast of man-made debris with the natural landscape make a fascinating subject for photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          I find this photo an interesting social commentary. Graffiti-generally accepted as defacing other's property--with the most prominent word being "me" and the central theme appearing to be a rude hand gesture.

Might not those two things be the central inspiration to some graffiti artists?

Comment

OOh, and now I see something else very interesting. Over the skylights on the roof. Are those to protect the glass from snow? Or are they heated to keep the snow from accumulating so you still get light in the winter? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                              ....Might not those two things be the central inspiration to some graffiti artists?
                              Indeed they might. But then again there is sometimes an element of general social acceptance.
                              There’s also some acceptance in the term graffiti artist itself – I ‘m not myself very persuaded by those actual art artists who paint in a graffiti-like style.

My reason for taking and posting that photo was (apart from our interest in abandoned properties on CVF!) indeed as interesting social commentary – an example of western cultural norms reaching a still fairly remote place, as well as the pleasing aspect that this kind of thing remains fairly rare in Greenland.

Maybe this example could be linked to the questions in your second post – I think the red building was not residential, and it’s even possible that those skylight coverings could be for security rather than the other possibilities you mention which I did not see implemented elsewhere.

Comment

I came across this abandoned turret feature – not quite sure what to call it! –, recently when wandering around Leith near to where the cruise ships dock. Amazing find!
                                To get a photo I had to squeeze my hand+camera through a gap in the netting, aim in the approximate direction, and hope for the best! I can see the advantage in these situations of tilt and swivel LCD. (Ummm, David has now got a Nikon D5000 . . . I got to play with it a couple of times but didn't appreciate it until now!)

Comment

Working...
                                X