Photo Assignment: Trains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Assignment: Trains

Trains are not something I photograph often, but I do love watching trains of all kinds from heavy haulage to small commuter trains.
    A fascinating thing to watch for me, I'd love to see the huge freight trains the US and Canada has one day.

This freight train has just left the nearby West Burton Power Station, ironic that the van on the bridge is in fact a concealed speed trap for motorists on the A631 above the tracks.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

The steam train which runs from Glasgow to Mallaig, this is my mums name , so couldn't resist taking a photo

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Henschel Di.4 #4651.
      This is a tourist train at Raumabanen from Åndalsnes to Bjorli and return. Very popular among the cruiseship passengers during summertime.
      Di.4 was prodused in the stunning number of five (5) in 1980, and they are numbered from #4651 to 4655. These are now the only diesel locomotives in the national railway companys fleet, and one weighs in at 113,6 tons, being set in motion by a General Motors engine of 3.330 HP (2.450 kW) making the locomotive reach its maximum speed of 140 km/h.
      A Di.4 locomotive can only be seen at Raumabanen, Rørosbanen or Nordlandsbanen, as these are not electrified.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Here's #4653 at Åndalsnes earlier this year :-)

Comment

• Ralf__
          Ralf__ commented
          Editing a comment
          These were some of the last lokomotives called Henschel (today the factory is part of Bombardier). They are technically identic with the "ME" of the DSB. They had over 30 of these locomotives:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...4222882%29.jpg

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, but even though they may be tachnically identical, they are not similar in design :-)
          When it comes to design and the look, Di.4 has more in common with El.17, used on the Flåmsbanen.
          And yes, trains are an interesting field to dive into :-D

This is a detail shot of one of the boogies underneath Di.4 #4653 at Åndalsnes (Well, actually under one of the passenger cart)

Here's a CargoNet NSB El.16 built by ASEA. This is #16 2204 waiting for a head on passenger train from Oppdal. This is just before Kongsvoll station on Dovrebanen

And passing Drivstua station in Drivdalen valley between Kongsvoll and Oppdal

Last edited by Sterkoder; November 14th, 2014, 20:01.

Comment

Love those old heavy diesel locomotives!

Packed with power, sound and smell!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

the cute little Petite Train at St Aubins

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Working...
            X