X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo assignment: your very best pictures 2012

I recall that we've had some threads about "best of pictures" during previous years. So why not start a thread to share some of the best shots taken during 2012? There can be a lot of different reasons to pick a particular picture. Sometimes there are a lot of nice memories associated to a picture, sometimes you have just succeeded to make something technically perfect.

Benches in new nice white light. Autumn 2012 in Strängnäs.

More of my pictures taken during 2012: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotonen...47734258/show/

Re: Photo assignment: your very best pictures 2012

Great idea Tommi. For me it's a photo in the first category, the nice memories one, this one is by no means technically perfect!! Late May, one of the first (and to be honest, few!) glorious warm, sunny days, and something remarkable happened in our little town. Contrary to all the negative hype that had been going around, regardless of issues with security and the belief that the public weren't going to be interested in the Olympics and Paralympics, I walked to town to see colleague Tom carry the torch on the last part of its journey through town.

It was a couple of miles' walk, and the streets were lined with happy, smiling, people. They were actually talking to each other - not necessarily something that always happens!! As the torch relay got nearer, the excitement rose and rose, to the point when the groups of school kids - in their hi visibility tabards - were cheering everything that went past - a transit van, man on a bike, the dustbin lorry!! The motorcycle outriders came through 'high five-ing' anyone they could reach, they were beaming and as excited as the rest of us - and really with absolutely nothing to do.

Eventually the flame was transferred to Tom's torch, with the Metropolitan Police guards really adding to the atmosphere of fun, together-ness and joy. Tom ran his leg with a smile as wide as all outdoors. My photos weren't as good as they should have been largely because I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and I kept forgetting to get the torch in shot.

That little scene was repeated again and again across the country - although not always with the sunshine - as community after community came together and realised something very special was happening. At the Olympic sites the atmosphere continued - again with people making the event so special - especially the 'Games makers', ordinary people volunteering, just being there to support, encourage and look after the visitors to the event.

I know I'll never see anything like this again, and for me this event has to be the outstanding event of 2012 - and a memory for life. Not technically my best photo of 2012, but a moment in time that encapsulates several weeks of fun, joy, excitement, emotion and the coming together of humanity for all the right reasons.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Interesting concept, this thread... I guess I should put on my swim-trunks and take a dive into the images of last year!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

That's a great story Mark, it definitely must have been a great day for all of you?
        Looking at your picture, the thing that catches me most is actually the photographers standing on the other side, taking exactly the same kind of pictures as you did. It adds a kind of "mirrored second dimension" to the moment.

Comment

An excellent beginning to a new thread and, as it happens, portraying two completely different aspects as an example to all of us. The beauty of the first photo - a simple object but possessing good lines and captured in a beautiful composition - is followed by a memory to treasure, accompanied by Mark's descriptive text that brings alive his delight in the whole scene.
          Thank you, both.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

February already and I’m only just looking at this. Well Tommi’s title was pictures …plural!!!! So I guess it’s OK to end up with two, especially as they are so very different.

I tried to choose images I remembered without going looking through all the files for the year to look for possibilities.
            So here you are:- a portrait of the Dalai Lama and a strikingly surreal image that includes Nordstjernen.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              So here you are:- a portrait of the Dalai Lama and a strikingly surreal image that includes Nordstjernen.

I have absolutely no problem seeing why this would be your most memorable shots of the past year!

Wish I would have this honor as well some time in my life.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Only three people have ever posted here, and we are nearly halfway through 2013. I was getting quite excited at first looking to see what folk would show. But no.
                I might as well use the space.

These are because I love doing close-ups.
                Ivy

Comment

Ooh, the shell, what nice combination of light and shadows.
                  I also like the colorful appearance of the leaves and flowers.

Sometimes it takes a while before people actually find all "old" photos. And there's plenty of room left here!

Comment

More:

I like silhouettes, too.....

.....and good craftsmanship in wood

and finally, Wesley and Thijs, at the end of a very happy day at the Dordt in Stoom exhibition last year at Dordrecht, the Netherlands.

Ivy

Comment

Thank you, Tommi. If no-one else appears I'll be posting more. . It could be such an interesting thread if folk bothered, couldn't it?
                      Ivy

Comment

Great photos Ivy. I also hope that some of the others join us in this thread!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, Mark. But, as Tommi says, there's plenty of room left here!
                          Ivy

Comment

The Kremlin, Moscow taken from my room in the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski . Achieving my dream of visiting Red Square and the Kremlin in 2012.

Last edited by kiki42; November 15th, 2013, 19:38. Reason: problems with Phobucket in making a bigger picture

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

The Kremlin , Moscow from my Hotel Baltschug Kempinski. as the first one was too small trying this evening view .....

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Working...
                              X