Photo Assignment : The Sky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment : The Sky

The line of derricks and what-have-you are like a string of jewels across the horizon in #43. But what a good feel for the approaching storm in these photos. Run for cover!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Looked out the back door and saw this odd cloud formation, it looked rather nice with the sinking sun behind it.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I have a few sky pictures to show as well. First from a flight from Kathmandu to Singapore last week.

As we flew over dense clouds I noticed a circular "Rainbow" that followed us:

Yes I know it is not a real rainbow. More likely caused by polarization of the window glass.
        It was not visible other than when the clouds were high and dense.

As the night fell we flew past some very high "Thunder Heads", which was back-lit by heavy lightning activity. It was quite spectacular, with frequent flashes and a steady glow.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get one of the actual lightning bolts. This is the best I could do:

Comment

Yesterday afternoon I took these pictures of the clouds as seen from our house here in Singapore:

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            ....As we flew over dense clouds I noticed a circular "Rainbow" that followed us....
            Did you see any trace of your aircraft’s shadow in the "rainbow"? I thought it might be what is known as a “glory”.
            See this link for some information, and see the photos here in this connected link.

Comment

With a few minutes to pass by I came to my favourite spot once again, it has a knack of always changing moods every time I'm there.
              It didn't fail to surprise me either.
              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

wow,what a great image Paul.
                this is one of a kind i wanted to,but i'm without camera or no place to park the truck.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                  With a few minutes to pass by I came to my favourite spot once again, it has a knack of always changing moods every time I'm there.
                  It didn't fail to surprise me either.
                  Very mood-full image - successfully captured! Very nice!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Some skyscape from Singapore these last two weeks or so.
                    Any vessels or boats seen are co-incidental and impossible to avoid when you are out on the water in Singapore:

Comment

No excuses for the spray on the lens in these last few,. It is part of the "composition".
                      Last edited by ombugge; May 20th, 2013, 12:13.

Comment

Me like. And in particular, those at #54.1 and 2 give a good contrast with the solid looking cumulonimbus cloud first and then the more difuse, varied colours in the second.
                        The splashes on the camera are there for effect, aren't they!?
                        Ivy

Comment

I couldn't find a rainbow thread so "the sky" seemed like the most appropriate.

These rainbows were on the south side of Anegada island in the British Virgin Islands. For much of the morning part of the rainbow was visible but as we motored out to clear the reef it became a perfect double rainbow that lasted for about half an hour. At first it was high in the sky and is slowly got lower and lower until it disappeared into the sea.

With my naked eye I did not see the sailboat on the horizon but when I scanned with my binoculars there was a sailboat almost perfectly positioned where the rainbow met the sea. Slowly the boat sailed through all the colors and out the other side.

Comment

Dane,

Those two latest shots are perfect!

The color of the ocean is just amazing - so very Caribbean!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

lovely new BA 319 going from Jersey to London Gatwick ...,, coming back it was the 737, no photos too dark....

lovely white clouds leaving Jersey

lovely clear skies as we near UK .

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Kiki, it's certainly blue upon blue in your photos! I love that second one. Whereabouts do you cross the coast?
                                Ivy

Comment

• kiki42
                                  kiki42 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  hi Ivy... when I looked down at one point looked like we were passing over the Isles of Scilly. It was a lovely clear sky till we got nearer Gatwick then the clounds look dirty....lol

• kiki42
                                  kiki42 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Hi Ivy,, I was just thinking,, could I be wrong and it wasn't the Isles of Scilly and the Isle of wight.. ?

• wherrygirl
                                  wherrygirl commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yes, I'm pretty sure about that, see my post at #61 a few days ago.
                              Working...
                              X