Photo assignments: Rainbows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo assignments: Rainbows

We have had a few rainbows featured on CVF lately, but not a separate thread for them.
    Here goes:

And if anybody doubted the statement that the Rainbow point at a pot of GOLD, here is the proof:

This is the source of the worlds fourth riches Gold Mine. (No touch)
    Last edited by ombugge; August 10th, 2011, 16:55.

Re: Photo assignments: Rainbows

So fragile and so beautiful, Ombugge. And the pot of gold one is incredible!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Re: Photo assignments: Rainbows

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      So fragile and so beautiful, Ombugge. And the pot of gold one is incredible!
      My choice of word was unfortunate;
      This is the source of the worlds fourth riches Gold Mine. (No touch)
      I don't know if the richness of the ore is anywhere near the "fourth richest", with only a few grams of gold extracted per tonne of rock.

That should be; "the world's fourth largest Gold Mine in terms of production per year". (Presently abt. 800,000 Oz. from abt. 40 Mill. tonnes of rock removed. To be increased to 1 Mill. Oz/year and 60 Mill. tonnes of rock)

Those who have looked at my posts from this place in the Papua New Guinea thread will know that the little "hill" highlighted in the last picture is sacred to the local population and off limit to the Miners.

It is said to contain many millions of ounces of gold, so they would like to tunnel under it, but heat from the volcano does not allow that, only open pit mining is possible.

Comment

I can not remember if I posted these photos earlier of our sailing trip this summer. We saw this rainbow as we left Anagada British Virgin Islands. The double rainbow is clearly visible and I looked really hard for a third but could not see it.

If you look closely under the rainbow you can see a sailboat on the horizon.

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a cool one Dane. Not so often that one gets to see a rainbow so far away so that it appears "low"

a weird sky tonight at 9.00 pm this time from my front window. a beautiful rainbow with the sky pink below and blue above , no clouds.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Quite a clear demarkation line between the pink and the blue, isn't there, Kiki?
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

What to see while waiting for a cruise ship

The glowing gate to Bergen by Tom McNikon, on Flickr
            View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

• pilotdane
              pilotdane commented
              Editing a comment
              That's an incredible shot and a great example of how the sky usually looks brighter underneath a rainbow. Have you looked closely to see if the elusive/fabled third rainbow is hidden there somewhere?

This is amazing! A great moment.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

From gcaptain a few days ago.
              Rainbow framing USS John C Stennis : http://gcaptain.com/u-s-navy-photogr...content=261222

Comment

Full circle rainbow seen over Niagara Falls: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/113078/s...det-er-utrolig

Comment

Over Svolvaer.

Comment

Working...
                  X