X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment : Animals

A surviving mini-dinosaur.... no idea what this little tweet is called:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You've "enhanced" this, haven't you? Grr-rr-rr. How can I ID it if the colours aren't true? I would say, J.O, that it is a male house sparrow, though the colours are much too brilliant, but that's you. Also it does not seem to have a black bib although at that angle a small one may not be visible, and the feathers just below the rust patch and towards the eye should be whiter. But male house sparrows do vary somewhat and also allowing for regional variations I'm quite sure that that is what it is. If it just goes cheep cheep cheep monotonously all the time then that confirms it! If only you'd let the colour be more natural, for it is a lovely photo otherwise.
      By the way, when is an animal not an animal? When it's a bird? There's birds on this thread and on Pictures from Nature. Why not have one nature one for plantlife and one for birds/animals/reptiles/amphibians and any suchlike etceteras which I may have omitted?
      Last edited by wherrygirl; July 29th, 2011, 09:04.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        You've "enhanced" this, haven't you? Grr-rr-rr. How can I ID it if the colours aren't true? I would say, J.O, that it is a male house sparrow, though the colours are much too brilliant, but that's you. Also it does not seem to have a black bib although at that angle a small one may not be visible, and the feathers just below the rust patch and towards the eye should be whiter. But male house sparrows do vary somewhat and also allowing for regional variations I'm quite sure that that is what it is. If it just goes cheep cheep cheep monotonously all the time then that confirms it! If only you'd let the colour be more natural, for it is a lovely photo otherwise.
        By the way, when is an animal not an animal? When it's a bird? There's birds on this thread and on Pictures from Nature. Why not have one nature one for plantlife and one for birds/animals/reptiles/amphibians and any suchlike etceteras which I may have omitted?
        Dear Ivy,

Please do save yourself for the agony of being so upset about my colors and my photos. This photo is actually straight out of my camera, and no "coloring" was done!

I know already that you are not a fan of my photos and my colors and I accept you have a different view on it and that you do not like it at all. The same goes for many here. I do not "color'' photos, but I do like to "up-the-saturation" a bit, and that I guess is something I like on my screen. On another foreign photo forum that I have been spending a lot more of my time the past month, where bland snap-shots are unusual, this method of creating an image standing out is much more accepted.

Back to the bird, as I said, it's straight out of the camera and minimal correction has been done. Therefore, the colors you see, is the colors it has. And yes, it's a very monotone chirping, so I guess you might actually be correct identifying at as a sparrow. They are all over town, all over where I live, and they are relatively tame as well... almost to the point of eating right off your hand. They seem to come as soon as I pull out the BBQ.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh, J.O., come on, old dear. I'm not in agony! It is your style. Why not! And don't say I'm not a fan of your photos, there are many that I like, and that applies to all the other members' pics. But that sparrow is much brighter than any I've ever seen!
          However, from what you say about it being all over the town, then it must be the little old house sparrow. They're everywhere, and I'm sure your BBQ is top of their visiting list.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; July 29th, 2011, 14:08.
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            .......But that sparrow is much brighter than any I've ever seen! .......
            The brightness of the sparrow might be a result of the way the camera reads the information, the high-quality of the lens and the available sunlight at the moment of taking the picture. This is actually the way my camera process the information and makes it an image.

Comment

For a long time I have heard things walking through the forest around our house. Recently I got a trail camera with an infrared flash to see what's been going on when I am not watching. Right now the camera is located about 100 feet (30m) from the house along a trail leading to the pond.

Not really exciting but so far this is the most deer caught in a single picture.

Comment

Comment

First of all to Dane. That infrared camera must be a wonderful acquisition. Not really exciting, you say. Oh, but it is, that's a very interesting picture. When do we get more? As soon as you're back home, hopefully.

And Wesley, very impressive captures. Also, I like the placing of the bird in each case, the composition of your photos is always very pleasing. More?
                  Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wesley View Post
                    Awesome image: this is an image I have been dreaming of capturing for a very long time. Scary, but beautiful.

Comment

Feather-perfect picture – that eye that beak…those white-greys-yellows….you must be so proud of those images Wesley.

Comment

Remember the Sea Otter at Kampung Ayer in Brunei? Looks like he really gets around

Well, here he is again on holiday in Norway, running around on the veranda in front of Raddison Blu Hotel in Aalesund, much to the bemusement of the numerous media people waiting for Nordlys to capsize.

Not much to see here?

Well, here is a curious face peaking out from under the pallet:

Time to have a better look at the goings on:

Moving along the seaside edge give good protection from over eager photographers:

Comment

I like these pics. of a very timid creature. The second one is delightful, Ombugge.
                          Ivy

Comment

A fox decided to pay us a visit yesterday. Always keep your camera ready!

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Oh, Speedbird, those are superb images of a fox: almost world class.

So cute and so cuddly: that fox must have been really tame...

The only time I've ever gotten that close to a fox was last year in Svolvær, near a large car-dealer, late in the evening.

Comment

These are superb, Speedbird. I doubt that I have ever seen fox photos with such clarity. I think my favourite is probably the fourth one, but choosing is not easy.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; October 28th, 2011, 15:46.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X