Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thare She Blows": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X0hq0ug9q4

Comment

• Thare she knock the living dogsh*t out of a Cod: http://gcaptain.com/scientists-disco...tm_medium=push

Comment

• It is that time of the year again: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/141915/kaat-tiur-jager-lars
        For humans it is year around.

Comment

• This year's Seagull and Kittiwake chicks are growing up, but not ready to fly yet. Some Kittiwakes are nesting on top of our block of flats and making a lot of noise during the mating and nesting season.

Last week one of the chicks was trying to fly a little too early (no feathers yet) and fell from the roof to the parking lot, some seven stories below, and survived.
          I was expecting the parents to abandon the wayward chick and concentrate on whatever other chicks still in the nest. But no, the chick is still being fed while walking around on the parking lot, or hiding under cars. (and have somehow avoided being run over, so far):

The parent birds are getting aggressive and "dive bombing" anybody that gets near to where the chick is hiding. I was trying to get a video of their flying skills when the Janitor was cutting the grass the other day, with music on his ears and totally oblivious of the two birds making mock attack on him repeatedly. Unfortunately they were flying too fast to get a good video of their action.

Comment

• Other Kittiwakes are nesting on the roof of the bus depot next door. They even have their own private "bath tub" in some puddles of rain water collecting on the roof that never gets to dry out between rain showers in our variety of summer here on the north west coast of Norway:

Comment

• "Our" Chick didn't survive, (I don't know what happened, maybe a car or a cat got it, but it has not been seen for several days) but here is one of this year's crop that did.
              Taking swimming lessons off Skateflukaia:

Comment

• Why does the Swedes always want to be different?
                Even the Elks in Sweden is different: https://www.arcticnow.com/arctic-new...ured-on-video/

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, one thing I have learnt from the video - moose are colour blind! I wonder how they test for that, unless they examine the retina of a dead one?

• best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ah, the gull photographer is back. That first one is almost a silhouette, but there is that lovely line of light on the leading edge of the wings, the almost transparent ends of the wing feathers and the way the light moulds the body shape. Beautiful shots.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, when I said "that first one" I meant first photo, not first bird. I assume it was the sme bird each time. Sorry.

• janihudi
                    janihudi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah well. Every gull looks the same as the other.
                    I was just then comparing them, and notice it was the same one.
                    Is this what bird spotters do?

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bird spotters are more interested in spotting a particular type of bird than any one individual. With my AB (the old blackbird who got ill and who I found alive but collapsed outside my backdoor) I was able to ID him from the start, not only for his greed for sultanas but because some of his feathers began to whiten as time went on. Seems to be something that happens with blackbirds, now and again I've noticed others that I assume to be old birds developing white feathers.
                    I have two wood pigeons which haunt the garden, and I can't even tell the difference betwen the s.exes. One, obviously the male, spends most of its time chasing the female up and down the overhead power line, then when she finally flies off in exasperation, he crash lands in the garden to see if he can reach the food on the birdtable. He's as thick as two short planks, making fruitless attempts to fly up on to it. Time and time again he fails, spending so much energy in the repeated attempts that he'll need twice as much food to make up for it. But the female comes down quietly and has a good look round for seeds dropped by other birds, then inspects the leaves of nearby plants for seeds or crumbs that have fallen on to them. Very resourceful lady.
                    So when one or other comes into the garden I can always tell whether it is thickie or the female just by its habits.
                Working...
                X