No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment : Animals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weekend I found a hawk building a nest. Better yet, it was close to our house and I'm able to get into a great position for photographs. The next is still under construction so no babies yet.

Comment

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice picture Dane.
      In spite of variations between europe and america it could be a gohshawk (accipiter gentilis).Anyway the plumage and the beak look like.
      Warm up your camera.

That's a wonderful shot, Dane. You must keep us posted as the nest progresses...... and beyond. How lucky that it's in a good position and nearby.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

That account is excellent. Thank you, Ralf, for posting it, and Ombugge for the link to the beaver video which started the topic.
      Ivy

Comment

awesome images of al those deers Tommi

great shot Dane,keep us in touch how the family grows.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

some months back they placed those nail srips,to keep them away,but drivers bend them flat.
          so some will landing again on those printer closet.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, I must be psychic - I was only thinking a little while ago that we haven't had any gull photos recently. And now they appear. I particularly like that first one, so clear against the background.
            Ivy

Comment

Progress continues on the hawks nest (Red Tail). I think these two squirrels are playing a game of chicken. Luckily that was mid day when the hawks are out hunting.

One thing I have noticed is that work on the nest seems to change with the weather. We have had a crazy spring with a couple days sunny and 70f (21c) and then a couple days of ice and snow. The hawks work on the nest on the nice spring days and don't do much when there is winter weather but over the course of several weeks and compare with the previous photo you can see the new, lighter colored sticks around the top.

I have also noticed that the hawks don't seem to be hunting in the area around the nest, leaving a lot of squirrels & rabbits untouched. I wonder if they are saving them a convenient food source for when they have babies to feed.

Comment

i don't want to get taken on a image.

to you have a permit for this?

best regards Thijs

Comment

i said do you have a permit??

DO YOU???

best regards Thijs

Comment

Dane, keep us posted on that hawk's nest and, later, if there are young. It's very interesting.
                    Ivy

Comment

Thijs -
                      Ivy

Comment

Martin triste (acridotheres tristis) on my balcony in Dubaï.

Comment

I think the red tail hawk's nest has been abandoned. We had an unusually cold night of 18f (-8c) when our normal low should be 40f (4c). After that night I have not seen the hawks at the nest.

Another thought is that I scared them off. I never got closer than 70m and stayed on the ground but they were always aware of me, especially when taking pictures. The shutter clicking really got their attention and I hope I did not pressure them too much.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                            Martin triste (acridotheres tristis) on my balcony in Dubaï.
                            "triste" because you were expected to provide tasty morsels as did previous occupants of the room - but you didn't. I just checked that name and found that it is a mynah bird. It's sometimes sold here as a pet, I think, being apparently able to reproduce human speech rather as does a parrot.

I think the red tail hawk's nest has been abandoned.
                            They could return, Dane. On a much smaller scale I have found that the blue tits considering one of the nest boxes in my garden have had one or two scares in past years, yet after a few days' absence have returned and continued with the work.
                            Ivy

Comment

standing at the waterside ,waiting for vessels ,mainwhile polishing the merc,i saw something in the water.
                              was it a thich robe or a big piece of wood?
                              then i saw more ''material'' then less of it,higher on the water,then deeper in the water.
                              so zoomed the camera in and got this.

zoomed on the camera the image in and got this.

4 sea lions
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                              X