Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best regards Thijs

Comment

Thijs has found a shield bug... Now who complains that he can't get near any bugs? They are good shots.
      And those spider photos are superb, I particularly admire #459.2, #462.2, and #465. Strangely, I have not yet see any signs of these spiders in my garden. I always think of them now as the Thijs spider, ever since you posted some a year or two ago. I've just been trying to ID them, and it may be one of the vast number of Golden Orb spiders, but the illustrations I've found vary tremendously and I'm not really sure.
      However, the facts on a Golden Orb spider's silk are fascinating. Garments have been made from it, taking many spiders to produce the silk and years for humans to make. Its strength and elasticity are something that scientists want to reproduce artificially and one example of their work is to inject the gene coding for the silk proteins into a host and use the silk produced. They instance using a goat, where the silk proteins were extracted from the milk, and they also mention using the E.coli bacteria but don't go on to explain how they then acquire the material!

Fascinating fact(!): a single thread from the web of a Golden Orb spider, although 30 times thinner than a human hair, can stop a fly in mid-air. Scaled up, that means a thread the diameter of a pencil could halt a Boeing 747. Good stuff, eh?

See http://www.greenes.org.uk/2012/02/spider-silk/

It's in English, of course, Thijs, but Google will translate in a block so that you can get the main idea. And think of that the next time your bike gets trapped by a spider web.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

A Scottish tragedy

AND YOU FIND THAT FUNNY?

Comment

Great photo story. Usually the sheep seem happy to have lost their summer coats - but these don't seem convinced. Especially the one on the right leaning his head on the fence!
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Do we have any bird-experts among us?????? Or more spesific Duck-experts????????

This photo is taken at 5.30 in the morning in Salangselva, Troms. The duck.....or whatever it is........ was very shy. Tried to use her "camuflage". But in the end, I got a ptoper shot of this bird. And so far, no-one I know has been able to identify what kind of bird this is.

Comment

Hi Martin.
              The French name of this bird is "harle",(mergus merganser) and here is a female.The male has a black head and a red beck.
              Now I have not my ornitho book for the translation but if I remember well the English name is simply "merganser".

Comment

We call it a Goosander, to distinguish it from the Red-Breasted Merganser (mergus serrator). Another good picture is here, although it looks as if it could do with a good combing of its quill!
                Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks' for the English name Ivy.I haven't see it since a long time.Last one was in Leman lake five years ago.

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                Hi Martin.
                The French name of this bird is "harle",(mergus merganser) and here is a female.The male has a black head and a red beck.
                Now I have not my ornitho book for the translation but if I remember well the English name is simply "merganser".
                Thank you so much yves and wherrygirl. It is good to have CVF. And I am also pleased that there are international latin names for almost everything. A google-search on Mergus merganser, told me that my female company this morning in Salangs-elva was a "LAKSAND".
                Thank`s again

Comment

They're cute aren't they?

Comment

ahhh,the highway cruiser is back on the terminal.

FEEDINGTIME.

where'sthebread,where'sthebread,where'sthebread

best regards Thijs

Comment

nothing on the left.

nothing on the right.

best regards Thijs

Comment

i'm starting to hate that guy.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh, beautiful, beautiful, you've found them - by special request. Now I'm happy
                          The world famous gull photographer is back, with captions!
                          Ivy

Comment

Aha, that should make good Peking duck:

How to catch lah???

Comment

So you're not a snob - lah!
                              Ivy

Comment