Abbeys, Churches, Crosses, Crypts & Monasteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot to like Svein!
    …but I must pick out #27/3 to say it would make a nice Christmas card, and as a general view to go in a guide to Norwegian churches #30/1 is a winner.

Comment

Few kilometers from Caen,by a charming bike and foot track you can reach the chapel of Etavaux,built during 12th and 13th.

Its clocher à peigne, unusual in Normandy.

Its modillons (don't know the English word).

Comment

Chapelle des Marins (Seamen chapel) Saint Vaast La Hougue,normandy.

Comment

Church in Burgundy.

Marey-les-Fussey,XIth,North from Beaune.

Monthélie,XIIth-XIVth,South from Beaune.It was a dependency of Cluny abbay.

Comment

An interesting quartet of churches, Yves. I'm intrigued by the modillons of the first one. Google translated it as corbel, but they don't seem to be particularly weight bearing, do they? Whereabouts were they on the building? At first I wondered whether they were the blocks just beneath the eaves but on looking more carefully I don't think so. Funny little gargoyle type faces, whatever they are!
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

You are right Ivy,they are beneath the eaves but in the other side of the church.
              About the translation I think "corbel" is not so bad because it is, in fact.In a text about churches I read "ornemental bracket".It makes sense.

Comment

The cistercian abbaye de Fontenay,located in Burgundy,between Auxerre and Dijon.

Comment

Read more on www.abbayedefontenay.com in French as well as in English.

Comment

Old church of thaon
                    Only reachable by foot, the church of Thaon is located few kilometers from Caen.
                    The oldest part is the tower built during the XIth century. Nave and choir are from XIIth.
                    It is typical of the roman-normand style: modillons, geometrical motif and chequered curved stone.
                    After a long walk along the footpaths it is a pleasure to discover this pearl in the bottom of the small valley of the river Mue.

Comment

Working...
                    X