Abbeys, Churches, Crosses, Crypts & Monasteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abbey's, Churches, Crosses, Crypts & Monasteries

My pictures of churches are spread around, so this thread suits me perfect!
    I enjoy taking pictures of churches, and preferably stone churches.
    It's quite peaceful to just walk around them and into the grave yards.

I think I have photographed 15-16 churches in my county and Trøndelag, and when driving home from Ørland Saturday, I got two more.

Here's the beautiful Rissa church from 1888.

The words on the reverse of this cross on a grave is in old Norwegian, saying 'Af Naade ere I frelste',
    which means 'By the grace of God, you are saved'

Last edited by Sterkoder; June 4th, 2012, 23:27.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I was a bit late for the 10 PM departure of the ferry from Halsa, but I could not pass Orkdal church. Built 1893.
      Very difficult to get good pictures here, as there were large trees close to the walls all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        I was a bit late for the 10 PM departure of the ferry from Halsa, but I could not pass Orkdal church. Built 1893.
        Very difficult to get good pictures here, as there were large trees close to the walls all around.

What a beautiful looking church, I'd love to take a look around this amazing structure!
        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

So pleased to see these additions to your church collection, Sterkoder. Such an interesting pair to see together too. I liked (well, you know me!…) the various colours of the different kinds of stone at Rissa, and the spacing between them, shown so well in your #16/2. I liked the angle you found to take that too, the way the dark reflections of trees in the near window complements the green overhanging branches top left, and how the faintest blue in the sky on the right seems emphasised by the blue-grey of some of the stones.

The window in #16/4 is simply beautiful, the stone texture, the distortions in old glass, that looking through the church to other windows and green outdoors beyond. A very calming image.

Orkdal, with more uniform and close-spaced stonework somehow seems to convey a solidly reassuring feeling, which might have even seemed a little stern …but then there are those windows one above the other in the tower, and I feel an almost playful and friendly quality there.

We’ve talked of trees around churches influencing photo viewpoints before…here you persevered and found a delightful aspect in the last image of #17/3 about which I also find myself feeling a “friendliness” in the architecture in an almost domestic kind of way – perhaps something in the small lower windows and the roof arrangement.

Comment

[QUOTE=SaintsFCFan;88205]
            The most ironic part of this entire thread is the fact that I am full of both admiration and respect for church architecture, and yet I have no religious belief at all. Strange to some folks I guess!
            I am discovering this thread and I agree with you.I am totaly agnostic but I feel that cathedrals, churches and religious architecture are accounts of a high spirituality.With a limited technology men of Middle Age or Renaissance created with stones a new perception of human life that gives today a particular emotion to our material times.
            Yves.
            PS:You can have a look at the little Roman church of Putot onthe thread "about Caen Normandy"

Comment

By the way ,my little contribution to this thread.
              Saint Pierre church,city center Caen.Gothic and Renaissance styles.

Comment

Its forrest of pinnacles

Gothic gargoyles

Comment

The most ironic part of this entire thread is the fact that I am full of both admiration and respect for church architecture, and yet I have no religious belief at all. Strange to some folks I guess!
                  Nope, not to me.
                  I'm not a religious guy, and I enjoy churches very much.
                  First it was the architecture and photography..., and now I also add the feeling of peace when entering a church grave yard.
                  It's like I'm in a bubble, where all sound other than birds and the stones under my shoes when walking are closed out and the puls of my heart fall to a very low rate.
                  If you are stressed..., take a time-out and walk into a church's yard, be it a grave yard there or not.
                  Thanks for enjoying my church images!!

Comment

About midway between Kristiansund is Øre (near Batenfjord) with Øre church from 1865 nicely placed down by the fjord.
                    Be my guest, as I walked around the church after my Molde trip Saturday:

Comment

I always love your “church series” of photos and there could hardly be a more appropriate addition than Øre church with its waterside location. In that first image I felt you chose that viewpoint looking across the water and photographed that church exactly in the way you have so often photographed a ship. It really brought across to me the elements of what I feel is the “Sterkoder Style”.

And then on to your careful way with overhanging trees, and the details… that year on the weather vane against the sky! …before ending with another viewpoint of church and shore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        About midway between Kristiansund is Øre (near Batenfjord) with Øre church from 1865 nicely placed down by the fjord...
                        Fantastic location and beautiful shots, S.

Unusual to see a church that close to the water, but I guess it would be easier to reach the church 100 years ago, when they had no cars and row-boats instead.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Drove a 30 minutes drive from Kristiansund to get a few pictures at Kvaernes, Averøy. Here they have a stavechurch from year 1300 and a "new" white church from 1893.

The many pillars supporting the walls were mounted in newer times, to prevent the old stavechurch from falling appart

Comment

New and old together as we walked around on the area

Between the churches, and between three trees and these fence railings...., 8 children are buried. These are the 8 of 12 children of the vicar here in the early 1800. The children death rate was high those days, so it might be that they died of things that usually caused death those days.

Comment

The church from 1893, which is the main church and in use today

Comment

This concludes my visit at Kvaernes. Hope you enjoyed the visit...

Comment

Working...
                                X