Abbeys, Churches, Crosses, Crypts & Monasteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbeys, Churches, Crosses, Crypts & Monasteries

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to these places or artefacts, so I thought this would be a good idea.
    Whether your religious or not, there's no denying that these places have been with us for thousands of years and are worthy of displaying their grandeur and mystery.
    I thought in addition to just placing a photo, I would put down a little information about their origin and present state.

I would love to see some of yours of this nature, and hear a little about them too!

This is the medieval Thornton Abbey from 1139, originally founded as a priory it was for the most part destroyed by King Henry VIII during the English Reformation.
    Many places of Catholicism were attacked or totally destroyed between 1536 & 1541, very few escaped it.
    Thornton Abbey was no exception, a mostly ruined Chapter House remains along with the enormous gatehouse. The Abbey is currently under the care of English Heritage, and is very well kept and well looked after.
    It is in the remotest part of Lincolnshire, and in this most people are unaware of it's existence.

The path to the Abbey.

The Abbey Gatehouse

The main gatehouse from within the walls of Thornton Abbey.

When I have the time I will go through the 300+ photos I took and put some more up.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

What an excellent idea for a new thread, Paul. I can see you're back on top form again.
    And what beautiful photos. Let's see more of that 300 collection soon.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
      ....It is in the remotest part of Lincolnshire, and in this most people are unaware of it's existence....
      Absolutely – I had never heard of it, and yet it is clearly such a remarkable place, as shown in your outstanding photos.
      Once again (well, for the hundredth time I should think!) I envy you your Lincolnshire skies! Gives such atmosphere to that first image of the path, and kind of frames the abbey ruins in the last.

Fascinating combination of brick and stone.

Comment

Brilliant photography!

I love the detail in these shots, and the large enough size to see all the intricate details in the composition. This place certainly has a lot of history to it, and I almost catch myself in imagining how it must have looked like when it was built.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Funny you should say about how would it look Jan-Olav, I did take a photo of a painting of the interior done back in 1697.
          It's at a bit of a strange angle and will need straightening, when I have a spare few minutes I'll do just that and put it up.

Comment

Here is a view of the life size statues that are on the front of Thornton Abbey.
            Here is a link for a larger version:
            http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/...c9911df3_o.jpg

Comment

At the top on the right side, you can see where a doorway and staircase once led above the arch. What it connected to is anyone's guess, but inside there is a small door which the inner staircase has been removed. No one can get up there to see where it goes, I would think that it's quite dangerous to go up there.

Comment

Re: Abbey's, Churches, Crosses, Crypts & Monasteries

This I came across this afternoon in the middle of nowhere, to say my jaw dropped is an understatement. It's still on the floor!
                Prior to becoming a church, St Helen was a Mausoleum to the Earl Of Scarborough.
                The family are entombed underneath the church itself, it's even called the Quiet Church due to it's peaceful surroundings and location.

Comment

How surreal to see that classical portico in such a rural English setting! A splendid photo.

Comment

In a way it does seem strange, Cecilia, especially married, as it is, to brick. Paul, is the back wall of the lobby painted brick or stone? But then, as it was built as a mausoleum a classical style would have been considered appropriate, I suppose.
                    Taken against that moody sky, the little church seems to have a delicate appearance, especially the cupola. Lovely photo, and I am so glad you've posted on this thread again for I admit I had forgotten it.
                    I must see if I can do some photos of the old church of St.Augustine's in Norwich. It was once part of a monastery and the body of the church - a massive beauty - is well used for concerts, while other parts are now the Norwich Uni. College of the Arts. The little car park I use when I go to the hairdressers is on the same site, so what am I waiting for? There are so many things I can turn my attention to, now that the 366 thread is finished. I am free-ee-eeeeeee!
                    Meanwhile, what about the rest of the 300 photos you mentioned last year? (#1) You must have some treasures stashed away there, Paul.
                    Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      How surreal to see that classical portico in such a rural English setting! A splendid photo.
                      Funny thing is though Cecilia, there were only a few buildings that made up the entire village. Then there's this extremely grand former mausoleum sitting in the middle of nowhere, you had to see it to take it in and try to place it in such a rural setting. I must admit I had trouble putting it there, even though it was physically there. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                        In a way it does seem strange, Cecilia, especially married, as it is, to brick. Paul, is the back wall of the lobby painted brick or stone? But then, as it was built as a mausoleum a classical style would have been considered appropriate, I suppose.
                        Taken against that moody sky, the little church seems to have a delicate appearance, especially the cupola. Lovely photo, and I am so glad you've posted on this thread again for I admit I had forgotten it.
                        I must see if I can do some photos of the old church of St.Augustine's in Norwich. It was once part of a monastery and the body of the church - a massive beauty - is well used for concerts, while other parts are now the Norwich Uni. College of the Arts. The little car park I use when I go to the hairdressers is on the same site, so what am I waiting for? There are so many things I can turn my attention to, now that the 366 thread is finished. I am free-ee-eeeeeee!
                        Meanwhile, what about the rest of the 300 photos you mentioned last year? (#1) You must have some treasures stashed away there, Paul.
                        Indeed Ivy, what are you waiting for! LOL I'd love to see Norwich's St Augustine.
                        The most ironic part of this entire thread is the fact that I am full of both admiration and respect for church architecture, and yet I have no religious belief at all. Strange to some folks I guess!
                        Probably what draws me to them is the fact that simple tools and dead reckoning measurements were used to construct these magnificent structures, that alone deserves the utmost respect.
                        Ah now, the 300 photos has expanded somewhat with a backlog of extra photos that came after them. Ooops!
                        I should really stick to one batch at a time, but sometimes a little chaos is interesting don't you think! Oh no hang on, that's normal for me isn't it! Again.. oooops!
                        Last edited by SaintsFCFan; May 16th, 2012, 21:34.

Comment

Anyhooo! This is inside St Helen at Saxby.
                          Very minimal interior, but then the heart of it is buried under the floor with the Earl Of Scarborough's family.
                          None the less very beautiful inside though.

Here's another view of the exterior, but closer.

All Saints at the small village of Laughton wasn't an easy church to photograph due to it's very tight fit to the road, which was directly at my back.

The interior of All Saints at Laughton.

The front of All Saints at the tiny hamlet of Pilham.

The interior of All Saints at Pilham. My back was pretty much at the front wall of the church, I was so surprised at how dinky the church was considering it still has an enthusiastic congregation.

Comment

All Saints at Laughton looks good set against the darkish clouds but with the sun gleam on it. That roof (interior) is a wonderful piece of work, isn't it? I don't know whether it is just the uplighters or whether the sun is also making a difference, but the decoration is so clear. And the screen is another great piece of work.
                            Looking at your second pic. of the exterior of St. Helen's, I enlarged it and you can just see that the back wall of the porch is painted brick, as I wondered. I'm glad they did that, it makes the whole area quite light. And then you go inside to more light airiness, delightful - except for the colour of that carpet. EEE-EEE-EEK!
                            And then the little Pilham church - you used the right word - dinky.
                            Very good photos, Paul.
                            I'm digging out some of mine now, I've visited a few basically to take photos of the carved bench ends for my website, but I take photos of the exteriors as well. And stashed away I have some photos (film) of a nearby church ceiling which has the most intricate painting done by the vicar's wife in the 1800's! It's incredible. I know the photos aren't good, but I'll see if they're worth scanning in and then I'll post them.
                            Meanwhile, here's a start:
                            This is a tiny church in Glandford, right up in the north of Norfolk.

And the reason I went there is for this bench-end. One of the parishioners was blind and always had his dog with him at the services. When the old chap died, they had this carved for the bench where he always sat.

If I have time tomorrow I'll post some pics. of another dear little church, this time in Suffolk.
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; May 16th, 2012, 22:58.
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                              All Saints at Laughton looks good set against the darkish clouds but with the sun gleam on it. That roof (interior) is a wonderful piece of work, isn't it? I don't know whether it is just the uplighters or whether the sun is also making a difference, but the decoration is so clear. And the screen is another great piece of work.
                              Looking at your second pic. of the exterior of St. Helen's, I enlarged it and you can just see that the back wall of the porch is painted brick, as I wondered. I'm glad they did that, it makes the whole area quite light. And then you go inside to more light airiness, delightful - except for the colour of that carpet. EEE-EEE-EEK!
                              And then the little Pilham church - you used the right word - dinky.
                              Very good photos, Paul.
                              I'm digging out some of mine now, I've visited a few basically to take photos of the carved bench ends for my website, but I take photos of the exteriors as well. And stashed away I have some photos (film) of a nearby church ceiling which has the most intricate painting done by the vicar's wife in the 1800's! It's incredible. I know the photos aren't good, but I'll see if they're worth scanning in and then I'll post them.
                              Meanwhile, here's a start:
                              This is a tiny church in Glandford, right up in the north of Norfolk.

And the reason I went there is for this bench-end. One of the parishioners was blind and always had his dog with him at the services. When the old chap died, they had this carved for the bench where he always sat.

If I have time tomorrow I'll post some pics. of another dear little church, this time in Suffolk.
                              Wow! Beautiful church Ivy! Are these the original pews?
                              It has the looks of our St Helen's here, also has an entrance similar to our St Margret's in Marton nearby.
                              I love the stair turret, that too is similar to the one we have at nearby Spridlington's St Hilary's.
                              I am looking forward to seeing more of these wonderful church photos you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X