Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo assignment: Sailing

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Oh my!!!! CLOUDS…..well Tommi, you and Speedbird are sure making me “skyscape speechless” on a regular basis these days!
    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Tommi, you are our resident SAIL-PHOTOGRAPHY master here at CVF!
    Thank you Seagull, thank you Pakarang. This is really something I love to do, so I'm trying my very best. Yesterday was a bit tricky, a setting sun, a raising rain, quite much wind and dark clouds. And at the same time I and my friend, as officials, kept an eye on the race itself. It turned out quite ok. I still can feel that very strange effect that the rising clouds gave, totally fascinating.

Comment

This week-end there was a big international dinghy regatta in Saltsjöbaden outside Stockholm. I was there today taking +700 pictures of which I edited and published 100.

Sailing can be lonely.

Or pretty crowded.

And pretty tight.

The rest of the images can be seen here.

Comment

Great action photos!

The second one looks like madness. Bumper boats.

And, being from somewhere warmer I'm cringing seeing everyone wearing dry suits and hats.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
          Great action photos!

The second one looks like madness. Bumper boats.

And, being from somewhere warmer I'm cringing seeing everyone wearing dry suits and hats.
          Luckily the was quite calm, so the boats wasn't making too much speed. Last week-end was quite ok, yesterday we needed a lot of more clothes, which leads us to...

Comment

...E-class regatta in Västerås. A two day event that I covered yesterday, the results could have been better, but it's really hard to get good tele-pictures in a rocking boat.

Some highlights from a photographic point of view:

Comment

As you can see, the lighting conditions were quite varying during the day.

Comment

After a long day on the lake, about 8 hours, the sun was setting while the last race was finished.

With CVF in mind, I just had to work on those panning shots, this was the only decent result.

And the full moon rised while the boats returned to the dinghy base.

A full set slideshow can be seen on flickr.

Comment

Some great shots Tommi; it wouldn’t surprise me if you get some more published in the sailing magazines.

As well as the action photos, I do like the one of the boats all lined up and ready to go. Oh and a nice moon to finish with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post

And the full moon rised while the boats returned to the dinghy base.

A full set slideshow can be seen on flickr.
                    This is particularly a great shot in my eyes... a great composition it is.

(This one goes to the amazing thread I think).
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I think that last week-end was the last for this year with some kind of serious sailing. I was out cruising on a friends boat from friday to sunday. The weather on sunday was wonderful and I was a bit bored, so I decided to film some bits and pieces, the result? Well, quite ok for being hand held.

Also available in HD. More stills will probably come in a near future...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                        I think that last week-end was the last for this year with some kind of serious sailing. I was out cruising on a friends boat from friday to sunday. The weather on sunday was wonderful and I was a bit bored, so I decided to film some bits and pieces, the result? Well, quite ok for being hand held.

Great production, very emotional with the music fitting very well to the whole scene. I loved the way many of the "scenes" were shot, very artistic yet very professional. Well done!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Great production, very emotional with the music fitting very well to the whole scene. I loved the way many of the "scenes" were shot, very artistic yet very professional. Well done!
                          Thank you pakarang.
                          I can see that there are some simple things that easily could improved the final impression. Like to use a lens hood, check the focus closer. The song is nice, it was freely usable, but it is a bit unsteady, which makes it hard to make synchronized cuts. I also could have put more time in trimming the cuts. I also missed a great scene just being a bit passive, but I blame it on the beer consumed the day before...

Comment

I have never found it easy to find the right music, nor to synchronize the music properly.

Takes a lot of skill and time to make it perfect, but you made it pretty well!

Comment

I have never found it easy to find the right music, nor to synchronize the music properly.

Takes a lot of skill and time to make it perfect, but you made it pretty well!
                              It's a bit easier if you use a song with a very steady beat. I'm not exactly making it easier using quite long black/white/cross-fades. The visual effect of the fade should synchronize with the beat in the music.
                              To find a good tune is not so hard, the hard part is to find a good freely-usable tune. I think I briefly listened to about 10 different pieces before I decided to use this one. The film would probably been a bit more interesting if the tune had been about one minute shorter.
                              I think a good exercise is to do a slideshow synchronized to a song.

Comment

Finally I got some pictures edited from the trip.

The sun is setting on friday evening.

Our harbour for the night.

Nice and quiet.

The perspectives tend to be a bit low when you don't bring a tripod.

Comment

Working...
                                X