No announcement yet.

Photo assignments: The raging water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a light on in one of the houses. Magnified, it is not clear enough to see whether the water is above ground level at the house, so it may well have entered downstairs, though I think the light is in a room there. It must be devastating to experience something like that.
    As you well know, Thijs, I am very near the river Waveney, and - I may have already told you, can't remember - that soon after I came here in the 60's there was a period of extremely bad weather and the river overflowed, coming up to within 30/40 yards, say 35 metres, of the house. But the road leading up toward me rises so we were OK. It was after that that they installed the sluice and the water is now well regulated.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

you have told me about high water,but didn't remember if it was of the 60's,that the land was overflowed,i nsaw that on the google images too.

it seems that the water is standing against the hous,when i look at the 400% screenvieuw, you can see that also.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Re: Photo assignments: The raging water

This is Collingham Weir, exceptionally fast water of the River Trent. Just out of sight on the right is Cromwell Lock, the village of Collingham claim the name of the weir and the village of Cromwell claim the name of the lock.
        My first ever visit to them both, the lock is fantastic piece of engineering, but Collingham Weir is just fearsome!!
        I've never seen water run so fast, to be honest it rose the heckles on the back of my neck.
        Not surprising considering that 10 soldiers lost their lives here in 1975.
        The 131st Parachute Squadron were on exercise when Cromwell Lock suffered a power failure blacking out the whole weir and lock, they went in and were kept to the bottom of the weir wall and drowned.
        A terrible tragedy, they do have a memorial stone dedicated to them.

Here is Collingham Weir.

Here is the memorial stone. There's a link here for a larger version to read the memorial from a larger photo http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/7...bd1a5f8b_o.jpg.
        Last edited by SaintsFCFan; May 4th, 2012, 21:09.
        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

What a tragedy. Isn't it strange when you stand above a weir, the surface of the water looks so calm and smooth and somehow doesn't seem to be moving all that fast, and yet to see the turmoil as it slides over the edge can be quite frightening.
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            What a tragedy. Isn't it strange when you stand above a weir, the surface of the water looks so calm and smooth and somehow doesn't seem to be moving all that fast, and yet to see the turmoil as it slides over the edge can be quite frightening.
            Your right there about the contrasting waters Ivy, it scared the bejabbers out of me just looking at it.
            At one time I think folks were allowed to go on to the Locks island to fish and what not, but because of the ferocity of the weir the have barred access.
            The last fatality here was in January this year, two men on a small boat were fishing and strayed too near the weir and were sucked under. Amazingly one got out alive, although it destroyed the small boat and almost killed the other fisherman.
            Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

We had high tide here in Jersey and Beaumont where I live is flooded again.... this is a view of the main street last night , which i sent to our local paper and it was put on their web page. because of so many complaints this time large sand bags were put across the road at the slipway... the water reached the top of the bags and it did help to keep the water back. the traffic was diverted too , so that helped. tonight the tide is going to be much higher, so I think the levels will rise and it could mean stronger flow and much further along the road. .

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Oh, Kiki, I admit I wasn't thinking of the Channel Isles when hearing about the floods. Very impressive but frightening images. What about where your house stands, is there any problem there? I do hope not.
                Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                  Oh, Kiki, I admit I wasn't thinking of the Channel Isles when hearing about the floods. Very impressive but frightening images. What about where your house stands, is there any problem there? I do hope not.
                  Hi,,,, I am only 5 mins from the flooded street and it has reached the house before , lucky that my flat is upstairs ...lol We had a residents meeting because not enough has been done before and it has caused a lot of damage to homes and shops. That is why the sandbags have been used to try and hold it back.... i will go and have a look tonight at 8.45 pm to see what happens as it is much higher than last night, and the rain and wind makes it worse.... .. Still another night to go before the tide changes...

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

never thought that there would be so much water on those isle,i thought it was build on a rock
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It is islands, that's why they cannot build dikes all around, or install barriers.

Jokes aside, how many years has this occurred at the Spring High Tides??

The water level is rising because of global warming.
                      Combined with a storm surge, this could become much more than an inconvenience.
                      Are there any plans for a more permanent solution than sandbags across the streets??

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                    i will go and have a look tonight at 8.45 pm to see what happens as it is much higher than last night, and the rain and wind makes it worse.... .. Still another night to go before the tide changes...
                    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
                    Ivy

Comment

Here is a photo from todays paper of yesterdays floods... this is the view from the other side of the sanbags one erlier . Loads of pictures and videos on our JERSEY EVENING POST facebook page. lots of damage,,, the worst it has been for a long time.

[URL=http://s995.photobucket.com/user/kiki42_album/media/DSCF3908_zps2dc5ac1b.jpg.html][/URL

Comment

Dreadful scenes. But you're OK, Kiki, thank goodness.
                        Ivy

Comment

Like janihudi I was initially surprised by your first mention of the flood, Kiki - you were the last person I had thought might be affected of our forum’s England residents. But now, looking out for Jersey on the weather animations, it is all too obvious that you are in the direct line for wave after wave of Atlantic depressions.
                          At least, from what you have shown us of island life, your community is one that will pull together with support in such circumstances.

And I very glad you live in an upper flat. But take care out in the streets.

Comment

• kiki42
                            kiki42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Celia , All the residents and shop owners got together for a meeting to get something done,. There were no plans up till then so I hate to think what would have happened if the huge sandbags and the flow of traffic stopped , hadn't been put into place . It is really bad along the coastline tonight there is going to be a lot of damage . Everyone was out trying to keep the drains clear but the wind is so bad it is dangerous , so not going out

• Seagull
                            Seagull commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Stay safe and stay in Kiki xx

Hi everyone,,, There have been some amazing photos because of the height of the waves, so a photographers paradise , but a lot of damage all along the coast , along with the waves the seaweed and stones were thrown over the sea walls. We now have a red alert for strong winds so that is going to cause more damage even although the tide has dropped a bit. I may try and add some of the amazing photos when i get chance to put them into photobucket.

Comment

It will be interesting to see them, Kiki.
                            Ivy

Comment

Working...
                            X