• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Assignment: Winter wonderland

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    that's a nice icesculpure,that will take some hours to complete
    Hope he has a good engine warmer...

Imagine trying to scrape that car... he'll be well warm by the time he finishes.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A visit to Lapland with the children a few years ago was a magical Winter Wonderland. The trees were so high i couldn't get it all in the photo. This was taken in the only few hours of daylight . I have been twice and would go again.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

At around noon Sunday, I took this picture of skaters on a lake at Vevang near Eide.
        Just around the same time, the alarm came from another lake a few kilometers away, at Averøy. A skater had gone through the ice and sadly died a few hours later.

Yes, it's a winter wonderland, but please be aware of unsafe ice conditions!

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

There is always something that makes me ... ehh... "uneasy" about frozen lakes.... the ice got to be really thick before I dare venture out on it. Not because of my weight, but more because I dread what could happen if the ice broke.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Winter blizzardland:

More here: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...090#post100090

Comment

I like that image... I saw on the news last night, that Stockholm was experiencing quite a lot of chaos because of the snow!

Comment

Sometimes I have this great feeling of beeing LUCKY.

One of these lucky feelings is when I am happy to live in a "Winter Wonder Land"

So I will try to blow some fresh winter-degrees to this thread, with some of my latest wintershots.

Sadly I don^t have time to use my camera very often. So I am still struggeling a bit with this complecated, but facinating art. But here comes a few winter-photos from MY Winter Wonder Nordland.

The sun finds a little glimpse to shine on winterdressed mountains

Several winter-beauties in ONE picture. Shining moon, northern light, fresh fallen snow, and beautiful light in the "blue hour". Something tells me that this was wrong camera-setting for the strong moonlight. But the rest became quite ok.

New fallen snow can be quite beatiful

Comment

Just spent ages looking at that first lovely image (and your caption is poetry also).

The second one may well be a scene that, had there been a whole row of photo-folk there with you, each would have taken differently. I don’t think there can be a single right or wrong, Your emphasis, call it exaggeration if you like, of the bright moon is one particular telling of the story of that moment, and it is one I personally like a lot.

Your image makes me think that all the people in travel forums and suchlike who seem obsessed with planning their northern lights spotting holiday only at new moon times might just occasionally be missing something. They are also often the kind of people who don’t seem to be able to appreciate the other experiences that the northern winter offers.

But I don’t think I’ve appreciated this winter in Edinburgh very much. Your freshly fallen snow images remind me that there hasn’t been a single snowfall that managed to settle in the trees here in the city this winter. But of course I have avoided all the chaos and inconveniences that have happened elsewhere in the UK. Edinburgh is very often a little micro-climate with quite different weather both north and south of the city. So thank you for posting this photo-treat for me here.

Comment

I can really feel the winter in your pictures Jan-Martin.
                    And like for many of us, it's seldom that one has the time to photograph winter time, and great light is only available for very short moments.

Comment

Great pictures, Martin! I like #52/2 very much, although the moon looks like a rising sun and that makes the whole thing look like a composed photo. But it makes me a bit jealous not to have seen it by myself!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

A rare venture out in the cold for me, but here is West Stockwith Basin & Lock.
                        Frozen down to around 50mm (2 inch) of solid ice, every boat was locked in a going nowhere

Here is the Chesterfield Canal that flows into the marina behind me, also frozen and locking in the boats moored up.

The average temperature was about -7 degrees, not much by other countries standards. But more than cold enough for me and my friend who were both daft enough to go!
                        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Nice to see so many people out swimming in Jan-Martins 1/52 image (mohahahahahahaha )

Seriously...., I think you come up with very nice images for not having time to use your camera.

Paul:
                          It's so great to see that you are back in action again! Looking at your images, I want spring and summer so bad, it almost hurts....
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Two very different aspects of winter in the photos of Jan-Martin and Paul - one showing the sheer beauty of the snow on trees and mountains while the other shows its power over us in the freezing up of waterways which normally would be thronging with various craft. Thank you to both.
                            But Paul - take that Riot Act as being read!
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              Nice to see so many people out swimming in Jan-Martins 1/52 image (mohahahahahahaha )
                              Svein....You are Very welcome to participate in the next "winter-swim-event" up here

Comment

for me my winter wonderland was the reindeer ride in the Valley about 2 hours from Tromso, Norway.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Working...
                                X